walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eastern Mamores - and Sores!

Eastern Mamores - and Sores!

Postby JimboJim » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 11/07/2013

Time taken: 8.25 hours

Distance: 19.2 km

Ascent: 2100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having cracked a couple of Mamores a month earlier, Big Jesper had the hots for more and the weather was looking the same way, so there was no stopping us heading back to the eastern one's this time. Looked quite a strenuous route, even for Cherlie and so it was to prove.
After a 6am start, we were driving through some serious fog on Rannoch Moor and Glencoe, wondering if we were to be blighted by poor vis, but just at Bidean, it cleared into a beautiful day. Not much later, we were heading back and forth on the side of Loch Leven, looking for the road up to Mamore Lodge and then pondering how much notice to pay to the 'no unauthorised vehicle' signs. (Had I been the driver our starting point might have been different, is all I will say.)
About 8 am, we were en route past the Stalker's Cottage, on the track which heads out to Loch Eilde Mor. A few hundred yards past here is a track, which heads off to the right, (at a 'lay-by' with a large stone,) through the trees, down the gully and eventually joins back to the track, near a stone memorial bench. This saves a bit of distance rather than going round a big hair-pin, though it did expose poor Jaf to some vicious clegs, eager for the taste of blue blood. At several places further along, they must have been less discriminating and also had a nibble or two, at my lesser quality plasma. There were some cracking views down Loch Leven, towards the Pap of Glencoe from this point.
Eastern Mamores 002_800_495.JPG
Loch Leven.

Anyway, about a further mile on, we branched left off the road, by a small cairn onto another track which heads northeast, slowly gaining height up to Coire an Lochain, where we got our first sight of other walkers - ?maybe Shuggy Boy, Nick, John? Sorry if didn't get your names right chaps.
Eastern Mamores 006_781_600.JPG
Coire an Lochain towards Binnein Beag
Eastern Mamores 016_800_574.JPG
Sorry ladies!
Eastern Mamores 007_800_553.JPG
Sgurr Eilde Mor
Eastern Mamores 029_800_578.JPG
Big J.
We enjoyed a bit of banter in the passing as we made our way up the rough track which heads up the south part of Sgurr Eilde Mor. It is quite a rocky ascent in places, but nothing too serious and after less than half an hour we were on top (about two and a quarter hours after setting off). Again the views were spectacular, with the drifting clouds, slowly beginning to rise on the Aonach Eagach, Glencoe hills, Ben Nevis and the rest. After a lovely view down on the lochan, we made our way west, sliding down a steep, scree slope, which only seemed to take about 10 minutes.
Eastern Mamores 012_800_567.JPG
Ben Nevis and CMD
Eastern Mamores 033_728_600.JPG
Looking down on Coire an Lochain.
Eastern Mamores 030_800_577.JPG
Big Jesper
Eastern Mamores 109_800_513.JPG
Aonach Eagach

From the bottom we made our way to the obvious track leading to the lochan at the foot of Binnein Beag and after another rocky climb, we were on top of our second hill, four hours in. I must admit, at this point, the toil and heat were beginning to put some serious doubt in my head, whether I'd be able to make the other two hills, but with some food, fluid and a further intake of fabulous views, we set off down another scree slope, again surfing a mixture of small and some larger stones, which tested one's concentration and agility to the limit, to prevent an unpleasant fall.
Eastern Mamores 024_800_578.JPG
Binnein Beag from Sgurr Eilde Mor.
Eastern Mamores 078_761_600.JPG
Binnein Beag from Mor.

Once back on the level, we skirted round the north side of the lochan, before eyeing our way up Binnein Mor. There would be a few possible ways to do it and I've no doubt, some more wise, or stupid than others, especially in different weather conditions. We chose to make the direct blast, sorry, crawl, south-westerly, to head up Sron a' Gharbh-Choire, despite the massive slabs of rock, sitting high above it. Once on top, it levels out a bit and looked quite obvious we would need to skirt round, north to Achlais a' Bhinnein Mhoir, to avoid some mighty serious rock climbing to the summit. After a bit of a slog up here, we scrambled over the large rocks, onto the ridge, and very small summit cairn. Was about 5 and three quarter hours to this point.
Eastern Mamores 067_800_593.JPG
Big Jesper in action, Binnein Mor
Eastern Mamores 085_800_596.JPG
Yep, that's me. Binnein Mor.

By this time energy levels were beginning to dwindle and the feet were fair loupin,' however the ridge ahead to Na Gruagaichean looked most enticing and there was no point turning back anyway. After more photos of the Ring of Steall, Grey Corries, etc, we set off towards the increasing number of walkers now heading towards us. I don't know if it was just tiredness, or were we hurrying too much, but I don't remember as much of the ridge walk as I would have liked.
Eastern Mamores 081_800_544.JPG
Ridge from Binnein to Na Gruagaichean
Eastern Mamores 090_800_548.JPG
Binnein Mor from Na Gruagaichean.
Eastern Mamores 101_781_600.JPG
CMD from Na Gruagaichean

Having made it to our last summit, we had a pow-wow to decide how we ought to come down. A previous walker had said we could come off by to the west of Leachd na h'Aire and we had the map of the path which leads off the second summit, but we more or less, quickly detoured west off that path, down the steep grassy slopes, before once again joining it, down into Coire na Ba, on to the sheep pens, then the road which comes up from Mamore Lodge. By this time the feet were more than loupin!
All in all, the trip took us eight and a quarter hours, gave us some great views, four Munro's, four sore feet and about the same amount of cleg bites. Probably my stiffest day in the hills yet. Ya canna beat it!
Attachments
Eastern Mamores 057_800_599.JPG
The early bird club from the east head up Binnein Beag - Shuggy Boy an' co.
Eastern Mamores 043_800_588.JPG
Eastern Mamores 049_800_586.JPG
Grey Corries
Eastern Mamores 108_758_600.JPG
Am Bodach looked quite menacing
Eastern Mamores 040_755_600.JPG
Binnein Mor. We headed up to right of crags.
Eastern Mamores 028_796_600.JPG
The boys.
Eastern Mamores 019_800_553.JPG
Sgurr Eilde Beag west.
Eastern Mamores 026_800_576.JPG
Blotting out Ben Nevis
Last edited by JimboJim on Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Eastern Mamores - and Sores!

Postby Big Jesper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 am

Another cracking day jimbo, roll on the next one.
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland