walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Southern Skye Ridge

The Southern Skye Ridge

Postby scoob999 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 13/07/2013

Time taken: 20 hours

Distance: 31 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a walk we weren't to fussy about to be honest "well, me really" being a bit scared of my first 2 visits to Skye :shock: but being determined not to hire a guide for the Inn Pinn we had been doing some climbing at craig a' Barns Dunkeld to build up confidence, practice abseiling ect

All had went well, so we set of for Skye to do the Pinn where we met up with Nathan who had offered to come with us for a day out "probably to make sure we we're ok though" :wink: the day was fantastic and gave us "me" the confidence to tackle the ridge head on the next week :D

The walk was only ever supposed to be Graham and Mat with Mark's experience on the ridge leading the way with myself and Fi joining them for Sgurr Dubh Mor and Sgurr nanEag :D but with fantastic weather and growing confidence with great friends we just kept going :D

We managed to do 6 of the 8 munro's on the Saturday up to Banachdich. Everyone will have their own thoughts on the Cuillins, my opinion is that they're full on all the time! scarey, enjoyable, atmospheric, beautiful they have it all 8) the scrambling is second to none in my opinion and we even SOLOED the INN PINN :shock:
my finger tips are still a bit sore 4 days later :shock:

The Sunday plan was to complete the ridge over to Sgurr a'Mhadaidh from where we finished off on Banachdich
but the weather was awful. we headed up over Sgurr Thuilm with the wind knocking us off balance and the mist that turned in to rain being thrown at us horizontally :shock: and guess who forgot their waterproof trousers :( :lol: doubts were running through our minds if we would get the 2 of them done :?

We persevered and with Mark's knowledge of the area he managed to get us to the summits :thumbup: quite something when you consider the visibility was crap at best :shock:

So that gives us an excuse "if one was needed" to return to finish the small section of ridge we left out,all in all one of our best ever days on the hills with great friends :D The journey continues :D

Attachments

skre ridge 2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

skye ridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: The Southern Skye Ridge

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi there scoob999, two days you will remember for the rest of your lives :D An unforgetable experience your first days on Skye, after that everything else on the mainland seems tame, I can assure you. Now you have done it, guess what, I bet your dying to get back asap. Thanks for posting, great filming and music, brought back many memories :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby scoob999 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:58 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi there scoob999, two days you will remember for the rest of your lives :D An unforgetable experience your first days on Skye, after that everything else on the mainland seems tame, I can assure you. Now you have done it, guess what, I bet your dying to get back asap. Thanks for postinhttp://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=9&p=202456#g, great filming and music, brought back many memories :D

Thanks Rodmiester, we're kinda glad we left them till near the end cause i think it would've taken a lot longer to complete cause all i want to do now is go to Skye :D it's a no brainer
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby Meatball » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm

What was your route up Alasdair from Sgumain?
Looked like the hidden chimney at 4-10....is that right?
Where to from there?
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby scoob999 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Meatball wrote:What was your route up Alasdair from Sgumain?
Looked like the hidden chimney at 4-10....is that right?
Where to from there?

I think almost straight up to the summit? nothing difficult and great fun 8)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Looked super :clap: :clap:

When you available for bookings :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 pm

The video is brilliant. It just brings the ridge and the mountains to life...really enjoyed it and well done for tackling the Munros over there. I am looking forward to head to Skye...although it still gives me a sweaty palms thinking about it!! :shock: :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby kojak » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:51 am

Awesome :D wish I had came along on this one :)
kojak
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:27
Fionas:6   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:27   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland