walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

two tons on the North Glenshiel Hills

two tons on the North Glenshiel Hills

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Aonach Meadhoin, Càrn Ghluasaid, Ciste Dhubh, Mullach Fraoch-choire, Sàil Chaorainn, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 09/07/2013

Distance: 50 km

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was of course meticulously planned with weeks of scheming beforehand, which is half the fun - but as we all know plans are made to go wrong, and we had a few "learning points" on this trip.
1. check the bus fare before you get on the bus and remember to take plenty of cash
2. factor 20 is not strong enough sometimes
3. remember to take the full gas cylinder
4. water is heavy and lots of water is very heavy!
and others.

After coming off the Saddle at about 3 in the afternoon on Monday our plan was to change our clothes, restock our packs with food and gas, park near the Kintail Lodge hotel and catch the ten to five bus to the other end of the walk at Lundie.
So far so good, the bus was right on time, but when the bus driver said "fifteen pounds" and it had to be cash, we just had to get off the bus again as we only had £12 thinking that would be more than enough
We tried the Shiel Bridge shop for cashback but no joy. As we had a booking at the Cluanie Inn for Thursday night the next idea was to see if they could lend us a fiver against our bill and we would be just in time to catch the last bus up the glen. Unfortunately the Cluanie wasn't able to do that for us either, but what they could do was much better! The proprietor Andrew (bless him) got in his car, followed us down to Loch Duich, showed us the best place to park saving us a mile road walk at the end of the trip, and then dropped us off at Lundie, for which he charged us £15 to go on our bill.

kintail north.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

so, call it Day 0 we set off just after 6pm up the track from Lundie; soon you go through a gate, pass a mast on your left and turn right up the hill, initially following some interesting marker posts!
P7080927.jpg
what's this doing here?

We stopped at about the 550m contour mark to pick up 7 litres of water between us as there would not be any more easily available water for a long time. It was at this point we remembered we had not swapped over the gas cylinder so had only the dregs of a nearly empty one to do us for three nights - so no cups of tea :( :( and we were carrying enough milk sticks for a small army! we would have to be careful and just have our dehydrated food and drink plain water.
P7080936.jpg
nearly at the top looking back - just having a wee rest

The path is pretty clear all the way up the ridge to the large flat summit, where there are two cairns perched right on the edge of the cliff; we went to both just to be sure. By this time it was about 9pm and we were pretty shattered after a long day so it was time to share a blow-up meal and instant custard before bed, but not before enjoying a beautiful sunset and splendid views in every direction.
P7080938.jpg
Ben Nevis in the distance

P7080942.jpg
Rudolph on summit Carn Ghluasaid

P7080943.jpg
and me

P7080949.jpg
sunset behind sgurr nan conbheiran

P7090951.jpg
and in the morning,

Day 1
The plan was to climb the next 4 munros and camp on the bealach between Ciste Dubh and Sgurr an Fhuarail. Usually we are not good at getting up at stupid o'clock (correction - I am rubbish at getting up) and wild camping is a great way to get an early start. We were away just after 8am and just over an hour saw us on the summit of the first munro of the day, Sgurr nan Conbheiran.
P7090954.jpg

P7090955.jpg
still wearing windproofs at this point

We dropped our bags shortly before reaching the summit as it seemed pointless to carry them all the way to Sail Chaorann and back. Then it was a really lovely ridge walk to the next summit, and then back again nearly to the top off Sgurr nan Conbheiran again to pick up the bags.
P7090956.jpg
beautiful ridge towards Sail Chaorainn

P7090957.jpg
summit Sail Chaorainn

P7090958.jpg
Sail Chaorainn again with Sgurr nan Conbheiran behind

P7090962.jpg
looking back towards Carn Ghlusaidh from sail chaorainn

From this point there is a long grassy descent to the west ending in a steep bouldery slope down to the bealach Choire a'Chait. the path down to this bealach and up the other side towards A'Chralaig is indistinct at best and it was hard going up the other side in the increasing heat. I started to wonder if we had bitten off more than we could chew, but the car was a long way away and we had to get to it!
P7090967.jpg
photo (rest) opportunity looking into Glen Affric from the stiff climb up to A'Chralaig

The summit of A'Chralaig has an enormous cairn visible from the Cluanie, and it was great to reach this, my 99th Munro.
P7090969.jpg
summit A'Chralaig with brothers behind

P7090972.jpg
and again with the lovely ridge to Mullach Fraoch-Choire behind Rudolph

So from here there is a really beautiful ridge all the way to Mullach Fraoch-Choire via the exciting scrambly bit where the bypass paths are not visible from afar giving Rudolph a bit of pause for thought!
P7090974.jpg
hmmm not sure about that

Rudolph is a perfect gentleman (sometimes) and although he usually walks ahead and I pech on behind, he stands back at the summit to let me get there first. What a fantastic spot to reach the century! and the last Munro of the day.
P7090976.jpg
Yay 100!!!! Glen Affric behind

P7090977.jpg
and 97

We dropped down the steep slope into Coire Odhar, now feeling very hot and thirsty, and very grateful to reach a burn at last. It was a hard, tired slog down the coire into the heat and stillness of the afternoon, where the clegs soon started to annoy. Up the other side through rough grass with no path, we were grateful at last to reach our camp spot for the night at the Bealach a'Choinich where we could drink as much as we wanted, eat our tea and pretty much crash out.
P7090982.jpg
when we reach that bealach we can stop.

P7090985.jpg
nice flat dry site with running water nearby, what more could we ask? oh yes, a view as well! not bad.

day 2 ciste dubh and the brothers
It was a warm night and we woke up in the morning to thick mist and heavy dew on the tent. But the sky was bright and it didn't look like it would last very long. we decided to leave the tent pitched while nipping up Ciste Dubh with just a snack and some water. What a treat! About the top of the steep boggy bit we came right out the top of the cloud and into bright sunshine, and also saw our first ever Brocken Spectre, which followed us along the ridge.
P7100990.jpg
double brocken spectre

The top of Ciste Dubh is remarkably steep and pointy with only a very small summit area. but what views!
P7100992.jpg
top of ciste dubh, five sisters behind, and the Cuillin in the far distance

P7100993.jpg
me on top Ciste Dubh, can't quite work out which direction, perhaps someone can remind me.

At this point I have run out of attachments so I will post the rest in part 2. watch this space!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: two tons on the North Glenshiel Hills

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Just read mountainloves report, and waiting for your part 2 with interest :) . Seems like these hills have been busy in the good weather, (13/7/2013) I was behind you part of the way on the Brothers ridge, started on the wee corbett Am Bathach, Ciste Dhubh then the Brothers, and the long walk back, but well worth it, wonderful hills. Great photographs! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Jings, you wait ages for "North Glenshiel dozen" reports then two come along at the same time ! :lol: Quite an epic - must've taken a fair bit of planning especially coming up from Yorkshire :clap:

Gas trials and bus tribulations aside, I'm enjoying it so far and looking forward to part 2 :thumbup: Cracking inversion as well - it's a great area for them - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:58 pm

As we descended the cloud lifted, beginning to disperse, and by the time we came back to the tent it was dry and getting hot again. We could not detect a path up to the next hill, Sgurr an Fhuarail, so we zigzagged up the shoulder and were soon on the top, with a short descent and reascent to the next Munro, Aonach Meadhoin.
P7101002.jpg
top aonach meadhoin

P7101004.jpg
and again, with Loch Cluanie in the background

This was number 99 for Rudolph. Number 100 was another cracker, but first we had to find more water. this was the last point where we could get running water until the end of the ridge. We went off the ridge about 100 yards to a waterfall at about 038140 where we filled our bottles with 8 litres of water - 4each. Again very chivalrously Rudolph carried the two 3litre bottles and I carried the two one litres, given that he is stronger than me and probably fitter as he doesnt sit at a desk job all day.
P7101011.jpg
life saving water!

Sgurr a'Bhealach Dheirg is another cracking summit with an enormous cairn at the end of a narrow ridge to the north, surmounted by another strange wall made of huge boulders. what on earth was the wall doing there and who built the great cairn in such an exposed place I wonder.
P7101012.jpg
Rudolph touching the top of the cairn, that's 100 for him too :-D

P7101013.jpg
and meself. Not very fashionable tucking the top into the trousers but it stops the camera swinging about when I tuck it inside my shirt on its lanyard round my neck

P7101017.jpg
looking back the way we came

we decided we would allow ourselves 2 litres each for the afternoon and overnight, leaving two for next day. How lovely it was to reach the grassy top of Saileag, where we rested for a while and chatted to a walker we had bumped into a couple of times already that day.
P7101019.jpg
Top of Saileag, with Beinn Fhada behind

P7101020.jpg
and himself

he was the only person we were within speaking distance of for the whole excursion. we considered camping at the top of Saileag where there is a nice flat smooth area just about the size of a wee tent, but in the end decided to go on to the bealach an Lapain, which looked from the map to be the last place for a while where there would be a good spot. It was a gorgeous evening and we sat in the sun and rested before turning in for an early night again.
P7101022.jpg
nearly there

P7101025.jpg
what a place to spend the night!

day 3the sisters (most of them anyway)
We planned a good early start to get well on before it got too hot. Another dewy morning and we were away by 7 (not usually a time I am anything like conscious). this morning we had a treat, as we had a little gas left, just enough to make a cup of tea for me and coffee for Rudolph, and that used up every last drop of gas. First cup of tea for 3 days and it was like nectar!
certainly it was worth it getting up early with beautiful misty views up and down the glen.
P7111035.jpg
up Glenshiel

P7111045.jpg
towards Affric

P7111049.jpg
interesting ridge

Sgurr nan Spainteach is a lot of up and down and was great fun with the odd surprising scrambly bit. These sisters are steep, straight up and down, and it quickly got very hot. We found that it helped to take our shirts off and soak them and our buffs in the peaty lochans that are scattered on the summit ridge, takes your breath away a bit putting on a wet shirt but after about five seconds it felt like heaven!
P7111050.jpg
sgurr na ciste dubh summit

P7111051.jpg
ditto, with face nearly as red as trousers!

P7111055.jpg
wet buff. I am far too polite to take pictures of putting wet shirts back on!

P7111056.jpg
sgurr na Carnach. you can see beinn Sgritheall, the Skye Cuillin and Dun Caan in the background

P7111057.jpg
and again, one more to go it's that big one behind you!

P7111059.jpg
sgurr Fhuaran. Not sure what the joke was.

P7111060.jpg
and again. last summit pic till next week folks!

After three days in the same clothes a bit of bog water just adds to the savoury mix. After we reached Sgurr Fhuaran it started to cloud over a bit but the heat was just as intense.
After the last munro we continued along the ridge to Sgurr nan Saighead and nipped up to beinn Bhuidhe as well, leaving our packs at the bottom of this one. This was definitely worth it as it felt like a bonus with the sheer cliffs on the north side and I saw some rare flowers I have never seen before.
P7111062.jpg
some more pointless-looking walls

we followed a path down the northwest ridge from Bheinn Bhuidhe which was eroded and steep in places but went through lovely meadows and quickly reached running water - hurrah. once reaching the burn of Allt a'chruin it is a well constructed path that leads you down to the village - but with a sting in its tail, the last few hundred yards is very steep and stony!
P7111077.jpg
the sting in the tail!

At last we were back at the car, tired, smelly and triumphant! we rewarded ourselves with an ice cream before driving back up the road to the Cluanie for a lovely bath and clean clothes followed by delicious grub in the bar.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Absoltely soooooperb ! :clap: and congratulations on making your respective centuries :clap:
Brocken spectres, inversions, sunsets, camping and all in a spectacular area - what more can one ask ! :thumbup: Excellent trip and very enjoyable - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 pm

amazing!! awesome photos and great report - good blooing effort to bag all of those too :clap: :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Well done to you both on your 100s
Mullach Fraoch Coire is a great one to ton up on too :clap:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby pigeon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:12 am

Well done both on another great trip and getting to your 100th Munro's :clap: My mate got himself embarrased on the bus from Kingshouse to Bridge of Orchy once,can't remember exactly how much it was but his kind offer to pay for 3 of us with a tenner fell somewhat short :lol: :lol:Keep the reports coming mrssanta,always enjoy your adventures :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:55 am

Well done to you both for reaching the century.. Bus fares, and lack of gas aside, looked amazing! :clap:
I can't go more than 6 hours without tea, so I would of packed it in the moment I realised gas was short :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:29 pm

How lovely to be able to follow you on the same walk I did :D Quite funny that without speaking me managed to walk the same route to close to each other :clap:
I can't believe the price of the bus fair :shock: I am glad I managed to pick up a lift! Tea...something I never think about to take along. You had a lovely day as well and the clouds below you look amazing!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Well done on the centuries looked like a great few days.
Cant believe you forgot the gas :wink:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Most excellent,well done both on reaching 100 still got the Brothers & Sisters to do cannie wait now.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Lot a big walks being done right now, I'm jealous! That inversion must have been a real treat. Congrats on the century marks!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby morag1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 am

Great report and photos, well done to both of you on reaching the 100 mark :clap:

You both look so happy out there, that's what days in the hills are all about, again very well done :D
morag1

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland