walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

Postby nathan79 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:19 am

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 09/07/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 15.3 km

Ascent: 1092m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

9.7.2013 An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tuesday off as ever, chance of cloud free tops so high MWIS didn't even bother giving it a percentage. Joining the WH gang on the Ring of Steall was briefly pondered and quickly dismissed due to fitness and temperature concerns and I settled on Some Crianlarich action.

Out of the house before 7, l trouble-free drive to Loch Earn where I sat down and had a coffee and my usual hill breakfast of a peanut butter, jam and banana sandwich. Basked in the sunshine here for a longer than I should have(I had intended to be as early as I could to beat the heat). Definitely made the right choice going for shorts.
DSCF0724 small.jpg
Loch Earn breakfast pano

I would say I was parked up at the lay by behind schedule, but I had no schedule! The sun was shining and the days are long so what was the rush?

Booted and rucksacked at 10am, over the fence and headed for the passage under. 2 other cars to be seen and one other walker making his way on foot from Crianlarich.
An Caisteal Beinn Chabhair pano 1 small.jpg
View from the start

Quickly over the field, under the railway an across the river Falloch. Dragonflies and Damselflies abound. If only I'd been earlier they'd have been less active and far easier to snap.
DSCF5283 small.jpg
Please please please just stay still long enough to let me get your pic

My first golden ring picture. My joy was short-lived however when I felt a pinch on my arm. I looked down to see a big fly eyeballing me. Oh no :shock: , this must be one of those dreaded horseflies.

Camera bagged, I powered on, arms flailing like some sort of whirling dervish. Then I remembered I had my trusty can of Smidge in my rucksack. Seems to do the trick with them as it does with midgies, i.e. they still come at you but they won't settle or bite.

Feeling suitably protected I pressed on, up the track and then off up the green green grass for the long hot yomp up to Sron Gharbh. I could see a couple of figures making their way down, either they'd camped last night or were up and off at a ridiculously early time. As expected the heat was relentless and I was glad to have 2.5L of fluid with me, I'd definitely need it.

Reached the top of Sron Gharbh and was glad to sit down for a bite and gulp down some water. The other walker I'd seen earlier joined me, we both lamented the heat, but really we couldn't complain.

Crianlarich pano small.jpg
the Ben More pair, the Cruach Ardrain pair, the An Caisteal pair and Beinn Chabhair sneaking in at the right.

I left my brunch companion and continued on and up towards summit number 1.
Approaching An Caisteal, I liked the look of the rocky stuff that awaited me.
DSCF5296 small.jpg
approaching An Caisteall summit

DSCF5299 small.jpg
Over the path and towards Ben More

Rocky stuff and a mini scramble out of the way it was summit number 1 with great views.
An Caisteal pano 1 small.jpg
bliss

Basking in the sunshine and savouring the views I spent almost 2 hours on summit number 1. As I said, I was on no schedule and out to have fun.
IMG_1304 small.jpg
posing in the sunshine

An Caisteal montage small 2.jpg
Larking about

The ravens were fearless and getting rather close. Happier than the dragonflies to pose for pics.
DSCF5334 small.jpg
Summit company

DSCF5345 rot small.jpg
Check them new laces

Lochs Katrine and Long pano small.jpg
Loch Katrine, Ben Lomond, Loch Long. Loch Lomond hiding down low.

Eventually I decided it was time to press on. I'd had thoughts of adding in Beinn Chabhair to this round but as close and inviting as it looked, I knew it'd be an unenjoyable toil so I elected to leave it for another day.
Beinn Chabhair pano 2 small.jpg
Beinn Chabhair

It was past 4pm by now so I pressed on for Beinn a'Chroin. A steep but not unpleasant ascent through the crags before I was up high again. Still pausing regularly to savour the views, I was casting a shadow on summit number two by 5:30.
DSCF5379 small.jpg
Beinn a'Chroin summit

Two summits done, all that was left was the descent and plod to the car. Quickly lost altitude and got back to ground level. A disappointingly boggy, but not too boggy slog back to the landrover track. Ran out of water on this stretch and was glad to get back to the good track I could power along back to the car (and my stash of water in the boot).

Back to the car at 8pm. A long lovely day with great views, some great wildlife, fun wee scrambles and one of my favourite days out.

Roll on this Tuesday. I'll take the same weather again anytime.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Very nice :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Second chance » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Great report - hope to do this trip soon - its on the List.
Seems like a long haul though - 10 Hours ?
Regards
Second Chance
Second chance
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   

Postby Bay Bloke » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Looks like you had a great day!! I did the same the Saturday after you and the weather wasn't quite as good - clouds round summits didn't clear until reached Beinn a'Chroin (although the lack of sun did make the day a bit easier :wink: )

Second chance wrote:Great report - hope to do this trip soon - its on the List.
Seems like a long haul though - 10 Hours ?
Regards
Second Chance

2nd Chance - I did it in 7 hours at a fairly easy pace, I see that Nathan had a 2 hour break at An Caisteal, if its another scorcher then thats the way to go :)
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland