walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain & A Quarter Century

Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain & A Quarter Century

Postby Backpacker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 20/07/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 1213m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a feeling this might turn into a disaster before I'd even set off, I managed to sleep through my alarm so instead of getting up at half 4 (again) I was up a half 6 and away just after 7. Despite the slow moving traffic on the A82 I was parked up about half 8, suited and booted and looking like Jim Leighton (if you've ever saw Leighton in goal you'll know what I mean) and away about quarter to 9. Through the station and up onto the path.

I had a feeling it was going to be tough, no breeze and the sweat was already pouring off me, thankfully all the wee beastie's seemed to be staying away, must be the wean's factor 50 I bought half asleep in Tesco one morning :lol:

After about 2 hours I finally pulled up onto the Bealach where a well earned ciggie and a sit down was had. I had already decided to tackle Beinn an Dothaidh first as I wanted my 25th to be on a more prominent hill. After chatting away to a couple of people I set off, bloody hell the initial climb hurts and the heat wasn't helping, I came across a Cairn which seemed to mark where the path just stops. I had a scan but couldn't see anything obvious so headed off in west/north west direction where I came across, more bloody bogs, I'm starting to think I'm cursed, everytime I go out I get "bogged up". Managed to circumnavigate the buggers and finally came across a path which would take me up to the Bealach between the two summits. I reckoned the summit on the right was the taller one but I headed left to touch the Cairn just to be sure and then over to the right hand one where I sat and had a quick bite to eat and a ciggie before heading back down the Bealach. Bit of a slow plod down as I didn't want to over do it but eventually hit the Bealach, where I bumped into a group who were doing Beinn Dorain.

I sat there for about 20mins before heading off to tackle Beinn Dorain. Bloody hell that was really hard going, steep, flat, steep, flat. I wasn't actually paying attention and accidentally ended up on the path which takes you around the side of Beinn Dorain. I remembered a couple of people mentioning it so didn't really bother and the 1st guy I met on it said I was 5 mins away, "result". Short pull up and I reached the Cairn, where I pretty much collapsed in a heap. I was gubbed. Sat for a bout half an hour where the group I had seen at the Bealach wandered up (I think they must be mountain goats at night) Eventually I dragged my carcass off my perch and made my way back to Bridge of Orchy.

The descent from the Bealach was something else, it was about now where I started to feel the effects of dehydration and possibly mild heatsroke. I wasn't sure how I could be completely dehydrated as I'd drank about 3 litres. Ended up pulling the valve off my bladder and sucking the water straight out plus dunking my hat in the stream seemed to help slightly. Finally made it back to the train station where I sat in the shade to try and help bring my core temperature back down, more water was guzzled. I felt better, got changed and drove down to the hotel for a well earned pint.

Bealach Cairn by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Summit No 1 Bein an Dothaidh by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Summit No 2 Beinn Dorain by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Beinn Dorain False Summit Cairn Sasunnaich by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Remaing photos can be found following the link

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151775252526926.1073741834.545136925&type=1&l=9fc9cb9f36
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain & A Quarter Century

Postby smalltounboy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for the report, I'm hoping to do it on Sunday (21 July), 6 hour window between busses, might be tight

Regards
Mark
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Re: Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain & A Quarter Century

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Nice short-and-to-the-point report there, BP. :clap: Lovely weather for these two.

I did these over the Easter weekend. Yes that’s right, over two days. I did BaD on the Friday, and returned for BD on the Monday. My experience was somewhat different to yours. Lots of deep, lying snow up top, and blowing a gale too…one of those where you crawl along the ridge on your belly. :shock:

Also, my first use of an ice-axe. Very incident-packed. Have you seen Cliffhanger? Double it and add vat!
:wink:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland