walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - King Creek Ridge (The Ascent from Hell)

Canada - King Creek Ridge (The Ascent from Hell)

by ChrisW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Date walked: 16/07/2013

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 738m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Canada - King Creek Ridge (The Ascent from Hell)

Postby Clach Liath » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:10 am

ChrisW wrote:
Clach Liath wrote: I am off to attempt your favourite mountain next weekend....

Thanks CL, is that my favourite as in Mt Rainier in Washington :shock: or Lochnagar which is a thing of beauty :wink:

The former :wink: though I agree that Lochnagar is a fine mountain.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Clach Liath wrote:The former :wink: though I agree that Lochnagar is a fine mountain.

That's awesome, I'll look forward to your report with interest as I've still yet to return to Rainier :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:03 am

I know I'm just repeating the chorus... So glad to see you back with us, Chris :D :D :D I missed your Canadian stories. But worth waiting for - you served us another cracker :D
Summer's in full bloom in Scotland, lots of new reports to read, you'll need some time co catch up with the backlog :lol:
Cheers
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby sross » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:58 am

Chris, every time you post another adventure in the Rockies, I first sigh with jealousy that I'm in the east, then I gasp at the beauty, and then I am incredibly thankful I live in this wondrous country. Thanks for bringing the west to the east! :clap:
I will endeavour to share after our trip to Vancouver Island, it's all beautiful, just different. I felt the same way in Scotland. When you leave the cities and congestion of people behind, it's hard not to be awed by nature!
I can't wait for your next 'report'. Your photos are spectacular!
Cheers
Sparky
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:09 am

BlackPanther wrote:I know I'm just repeating the chorus... So glad to see you back with us, Chris :D :D :D I missed your Canadian stories. But worth waiting for - you served us another cracker :D
Summer's in full bloom in Scotland, lots of new reports to read, you'll need some time co catch up with the backlog :lol:
Cheers
BP

Thanks BP, it's great to be out in the mountains again...I've got no chance of catching up with reports as there seem to be hundreds going in every month :shock: I'm going to have to pick out a few I think :wink: Love the new avatar :lol:

sross wrote:Chris, every time you post another adventure in the Rockies, I first sigh with jealousy that I'm in the east, then I gasp at the beauty, and then I am incredibly thankful I live in this wondrous country. Thanks for bringing the west to the east! :clap:
I will endeavour to share after our trip to Vancouver Island, it's all beautiful, just different. I felt the same way in Scotland. When you leave the cities and congestion of people behind, it's hard not to be awed by nature!
I can't wait for your next 'report'. Your photos are spectacular!
Cheers
Sparky

Hey Sparky, glad you are still around here, I long to see the more of Canada and am planning a drive from here to Halifax for when time allows (stopping off along the way to wander a place or two). I drove over to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and stopped in Hope BC and hiked a couple of places out there before heading north to Prince George and arcing round to Jasper then back down the Icefields Parkway...though I've seen that area before I was still blown away by the incredible scenery every step of the way.What an amazing country, I didn't go to Vancouver island though so it would be great to see some of that.

Thanks for the kind words about the pics, but I confess they're pretty easy to get around here :lol: Looking forward to seeing some of Ontario (and maybe a bit of Vancouver Island too :wink: ) Hope you have a great time.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Wonderful to read a report with such different scenery. Your photos are amazing, what a truely stunning place
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Wonderful to read a report with such different scenery. Your photos are amazing, what a truely stunning place

Thanks Sarah, the Canadian Rockies really are something to see, I swear the photos don't do justice to the real thing :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby sross » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 am

Yes, and on the topic of the quality of your photos, you've made me completely dissatisfied with my little camera, so I've been running to the camera store and doing research. If you still carry the camera you note in your profile, then I have a whole new level of admiration for your photos. I have no idea how you travel to all these places and climb all those 'little' hills dragging that enormous weight. I'm on the verge of acquiring a much lighter Olympus PEN E-PL5 and a telephoto lens, small, not quite as mighty, but more worthy to record the sites on Vancouver Island:-). :D
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:31 am

If you still carry the camera you note in your profile, then I have a whole new level of admiration for your photos.

:lol: Thanks Sparky, it's actually worse than that as I attach a 28-300 mm 'L' series lens that weighs 3x what the camera does. I only do this because I often print pictures 6 feet x 4 feet and want to maintain the sharpness of them but don't want to carry multiple lenses...there's no doubt about it the damn thing weighs a ton toward the end of the hike :lol: I do love the 5D classic though, I recently bought another from the used section of the local camera store just as a back up :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Chris

Great to see you are back, the photos are of a high class as always.

Hoping to see a few more reports and pictures, they put my Kodak ones to shame :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Great to see your'e back Chris. I like many others were wondering if you'd managed to lose yourself in these stunning Rockies :lol: :lol: Please keep the reports coming, the landscape is stunning, the wildlife different and the photography superb. Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Great to see your'e back Chris. I like many others were wondering if you'd managed to lose yourself in these stunning Rockies :lol: :lol: Please keep the reports coming, the landscape is stunning, the wildlife different and the photography superb. Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:26 am

Oh wow the pictures just so unreal! Amazing countryside and that walk sounds just so amazing! Would love to see chipmunks...can you bring a few along next time you come to Scotland? :lol: :lol:
You must be happy to be out again :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Great return, and some of the most impressive scenery I've seen in your Canadian reports 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Welcome back pal. Missed you.

Absolutely stunning scenery. Your photos are brilliant Chis despite using a Canon ? :wink:

I can see how it would be a favorite to me like Lochnagar was when we got up there
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland