walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fiacaill Ridge, a Cairngorm wild camp and Ben Macdui....

The Fiacaill Ridge, a Cairngorm wild camp and Ben Macdui....

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 21/07/2013

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 900m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fiacaill Ridge, Cairngorm wild camp and finishing on top of Ben Mac

Hadn’t planned on getting out for a few weeks as the garden needed landscaped!! However quicker than expected erm landscaping?saw us finish at 15.00 and the forecast looked like the last good day/night of the recent great weather. So guide books open and internet on and a Cairngorm special was plated up! A possible cloud inversion may be possible the next morning and to increase the likely hood of this I decided to go high. Can only go one place higher than Macdui in the UK so I set off around 16.30.

By around 18.00 I was in the upper ski car par packing my tent and bag for the night. The only fly in the ointment were the high winds!! I had noticed the trees blowing around a fair bit on the drive up and on leaving the car I was surprised at how gusty it had become (a quick look at met office app – confirmed possible gusts of up to 50mph!! – was not on MWIS earlier). Anyway – thought I would head off and see as forecast was for winds to drop.

My plan of attack was to gain the plateaux via the Fiacaill ridge which I had never done before. I headed off and a bit of panting and heaving later I was walking along the start of the scramble on an airy ridge – fantastic. It was still windy but I deemed it safe enough especially as the steeper parts of the scramble were on the leeward side

I kept left of the scramble on the way up as the right hand side of the scramble is handsin pockets stuff. There was nothing too technical and only slight exposure in a couple of places but this did not detract from the enjoyment. The views were outstanding, and the only other people I saw on the whole trip were camped a few hundred metres below in Coire na t-Sneadcha…..

Scramble completed and I had resigned myself to heading home due to the high winds lower down. However on the top the wind seemed a little lighter so I headed towards Cairn Lochan’s summit – hoping for a more sheltered spot on its leeward side toward the Lairig Ghru. Finding a pitch was harder than expected as the further towards the Lairig Ghru I got the steeper the slopes became – eventually I found a compromise with slight shelter and not too much of a slope…..

Tent up, now about 20.30pm and I took a wander up round the rim of Coire an Lochain, stopping at the summit of Cairn Lochan to soak in the sunset. An amazing place and an amazing sunset. The cliffs shone red in the dipping light and to the south the rest of the Cairngorm plateaux slowly fell to darkness. A full moon rose to the south and the final embers of the sun died in the distant northwest.

Usually not too impressed with Macdui to look at, I was pleasantly surprised tonight as it glowed red longer than all the other surrounding hills including the 1200m peaks across the Lairig Ghru who fell dark long before Macdui. An impressive sight with the moon rising behind it 

So to bed- once again found it hard to sleep – might have been the gusty winds but I think I eventually dosed off around 02.00  Woke at 04.00 as sunrise was around 04.45. I peeked outside on the side facing north hoping to see an inversion - nothing just dark , clear hillside. I was about to (try) and go back to sleep but luckily opened the other side of the tent to see the cloud streaming through the Lairig Ghru hundreds of metres below me (could just make out the pools of Dee). The cloud was streaming in from the south so was not getting out to the north. My mind was immediately set on getting to Ben Macdui as I expected the views south over the sea of cloud would be fantastic – I was not to be disappointed!!

I cracked on and by the back of five I was stood on the summit of Britain’s second highest peak. The sun hitting the 1200m peaks west across the Lairig Ghru was a spectacle and I dropped to the north of the summit to take in the inversion and sat for nearly an hour watching it.

I eventually dragged myself away and headed back along the tourist route to the head of the Goat track.

I followed the northern corries rim up and over Stob Coire an t Sneachda and descended to the car via Fiacall a’ Choire Chais. Way by 08.00am and home for 09.45 for a spot of coffee and breakfast. A great wee Micro Adventure…….

wilkiemurray

Re: The Fiacaill Ridge, a Cairngorm wild camp and Ben Macdui

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Stunning pics :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby dtr42 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 pm

loved the video and the inversion pretty amazing although the ridge scramble aint for me :D thanks for making and sharing the video
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Awesome pics indeed. Fine way to spend a night.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:56 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Stunning pics :D

Thanks spider
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:57 pm

dtr42 wrote:loved the video and the inversion pretty amazing although the ridge scramble aint for me :D thanks for making and sharing the video

Thanks dtr - scramble not too bad :)
Inversion was brill
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 pm

nathan79 wrote:Awesome pics indeed. Fine way to spend a night.

Concur with that: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby Stretch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:52 am

As a fan of your films I must say, this is my fav to date. How could anyone watch it and not be moved by the beauty of the Gorms? Can't remember if you've won walk report of the month before, but if you haven't there is some serious injustice going on!

Keep these awesome reports coming!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 am

Amazing film and photographs! :clap: :clap: :D :D More More!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Great photos :)

I spent all day Saturday in this area...was scorchio!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am

Stretch wrote:As a fan of your films I must say, this is my fav to date. How could anyone watch it and not be moved by the beauty of the Gorms? Can't remember if you've won walk report of the month before, but if you haven't there is some serious injustice going on!

Keep these awesome reports coming!

Thanks Stretch - glad you like my wee films :) (I think you must be the first "fan" of steaming lots haha :lol:
Not sure I'll be out much so may have to wait a while for next film premier :lol: :crazy:

Thanks for nice comments
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Amazing film and photographs! :clap: :clap: :D :D More More!

Thanks Rodmeister - much appreciated :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:17 am

dooterbang wrote:Great photos :)

I spent all day Saturday in this area...was scorchio!

Thanks dooterbang - loved your report - that was one hell of a shift you put in!! Good stuff :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:41 am

I'll have to assume the video is good as I can't see it at work, but if it's anything like the photos, then it's a stunner 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 pm

malky_c wrote:I'll have to assume the video is good as I can't see it at work, but if it's anything like the photos, then it's a stunner 8)

Hope you like the video when/ if you get to see it :)
wilkiemurray

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland