walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A return to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin

A return to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin

Postby budvarone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:27 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 21/07/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1145m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last October, Neil, my usual walking partner, and I successfully ticked off these two, the weather that day was awful, wet and windy and even some sleet...I think I summed that walk up as a "slog", and while I enjoyed the day, I wasn't in any hurry to return! Anyway....fast forward about 9 months or so, and we'd planned to head back to Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) to complete some unfinished business in that neck of the woods, unfortunately Neil had a long overdue operation at the Borders General Hospital on the previous Friday and was unable to hit the hills, so I decided, based on the fact that the others in the group hadn't attempted these two, that we should head to Loch Earn, and let Malcolm and Michael add them to their list.
The weather forecast was cracking (again!), so we were looking forward to a good day on the hills! We arrived about 8.30, and set off 15 mins later....
SAM_1638.JPG
You go THAT way!!
SAM_1641.JPG
Malcolm thinking about a swim at the dam!

The forecast may have been good but as we climbed the path we found ourselves in quite thick low cloud, but hoping it would burn off, we kept going on our climb.
SAM_1649.JPG
Still quite cloudy!
SAM_1650.JPG
Malcolm pausing for a breather.
As we neared the summit, the cloud gradually cleared and we were granted some cracking views....and my first inversion, and what a sight!
SAM_1657.JPG
Looking up to the summit of Ben Vorlich.
DSC_0006 (Small).JPG
View from trig point.
DSC_0009 (Small).JPG
Ben Vorlich trig pint from the cairn.
DSC_0010 (Small).JPG
Stuc a Chroin floating in the cloud!
After 40 mins or so at the summit we headed down to the bealach to try for Stuc a Chroin.
SAM_1681.JPG
The path down towards Stuc a Chroin.
SAM_1692.JPG
Looking over to the prow...almost decision time!
SAM_1700.JPG
AARRGH, what to do!
Do I head over to the right and go up the steep, but alledgedly, easier path, or do I attempt the scramble.....
Malcolm and Michael opted for the "easier" path off to the right, but as that was the path I took the last time I was here, I REALLY fancied trying the scrambly route, so after a few minutes deliberating, I watched my pals head over to the steep path and I headed upwards, if I didn't like the look of what I saw I'd turn round and head over to the other path! There were a few other folk on my path so it wasn't like I was going to be on my own, that gave me a bit more confidence! That said, I just stuck to the path that curves round to the left, I didn't even consider the climb up the rocky prow, the path was quite hands on enough for me, quite steep in parts with great views along the valley, it wasn't long before I reached the top! After recent scrambles on Ben Vane and The Cobbler, I was kind of getting used to this...I really enjoyed this path up!
SAM_1705.JPG
Looking over to the "easy" path.
SAM_1706.JPG
Will I...???
SAM_1710.JPG
Nah! I'll just follow the path!
SAM_1711.JPG
Heading up there!
I joined Malcolm and Michael at the top and we made our way to the summit.
SAM_1718.JPG
Ben Vorlich from the path.
SAM_1721.JPG
Looking over the cloud.
SAM_1730.JPG
Summit pic Stuc a Chroin.
SAM_1725.JPG
Malcolm picked out about 300 Red Deer down in the valley (he'd brought his binoculars!) some were drinking in the burn, most were just soaking up the rays on the slopes of Ben Vorlich!
DSC_0016 (Small).JPG
My lunchtime view, Ben Vorlich.
By now the majority of the cloud had disappeared, and the views were fantastic, the best I've had in a long time, we could pick out the Lawers range and even Ben Nevis ...a..w..a..y....in the distance! We spent an hour on the summit, having lunch and taking in the fantastic panorama, it was breathtaking!
SAM_1752.JPG
The path back to the car!
The last time I was here the walk back was really boggy and unpleasant, this time however, much of the wet areas had dried out and made for a much better return walk.
SAM_1756.JPG
Looking back to Stuc a Chroin.
SAM_1761.JPG
The path back!
SAM_1767.JPG
Loch Earn, with Ben Lawers and The Tarmachan Ridge in the background.
SAM_1768.JPG
Ben Vorlich in the "looking back" shot!

A great walk, took us 9 hours but that was with 40 mins stop on Vorlich and a good hour on Stuc a Chroin, found it difficult to leave! One of the best days I've had in the Highlands, loved it!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Re: A return to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin

Postby dooterbang » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Lovely inversion shots :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby kev_russ » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 pm

I concur,stunning :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby budvarone » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks guys! The pics really don't do it justice tho! It was stunning!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:31 pm

These are my two 'local' Munros, but don't think I've ever seen inversion pics of them before. Cracking. :)
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby IndoorMunroist » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 pm

I agree with the others, the inversion shots are dreamy. Sell the flat, pack in the 'job', move to Tyndrum.
IndoorMunroist
Walker

Munros:66   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland