walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A different route on Meall Na Fearna

A different route on Meall Na Fearna

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Fearna

Date walked: 19/04/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 871m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Seeking a drier route to Meall na Fearna, I left the S loch Earn rd at Finglen, followed the landrover track up into Fin glen, traversed right up a grassy rake and climbed the pleasant heather ridge to Black Craig (692m). From here I followed the fenceposts across the boggy cols to join the normal route from Ardvorlich. I climbed the old snow slopes to the delighfully wild top where a solitary Ptarmigan sat on the small summit cairn. In descent I headed almost due north into the top of the unnamed corrie and climbed up easy grass slopes to the 550m col immediately east of Black Craig. From here it was an easy descent to rejoin the landrover track. to my starting point. The walk was pleasantly dry up to Black Craig but the endless peat hags thereafter slowed me down.
Pictures of this route now at http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60305
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: A different route on Meall Na Fearna

Postby mrssanta » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:03 pm

not much drier then, by the sound of it!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: A different route on Meall Na Fearna

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:22 pm

No probably not, but it was pleasantly wild: I doubt you meet many other people there
Edit - Well the early part was very pleasanyly dry - the Corbetts book says the path up to the usual bealach is very boggy
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland