walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach - Only One Queen(Sgurr) Fiona Reigns

An Teallach - Only One Queen(Sgurr) Fiona Reigns

Postby Fcfraser » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 26/07/2013

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only One Queen Fiona Reigns....

I was looking forward to this walk, I was going to save it for my 100th (munro, not birthday!!) However, it was a friends final munro, made a little bit special because it was his friend from Holland's final also. So not being one to miss out on a party.... Ill choose something else for my 100.

We stayed at the Sail Mhor Croft Hostel, which was nice, comfortable, lovely interesting garden, if anything, I guess it was on the small side, I would think a little cramped when full to capacity. We went to the Dundonnell Hotel for some food and refreshments, of the alcohol variety :crazy: Food was very good I have to say. Staff very friendly, beautiful Spanish waitress, who Im sure could charm the birds from the trees!

So! up bright and early, cars parked at the hotel and Corrie Hallie, which was to be our start point.
Not too long into the land rover track the hill emerged, I suggested we did a photo of the two "Completists" before we went further, in case that was the last view of the mountain we saw.....ha ha.... she now says with a note of wryness!
IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

Our plan was to go up and over the pinnicles, and as we struck up hill, the cloud begun to thicken a little, and then some.... then the thunder begun..... then a few drops of rain, mmmm jackets or not, jackets or not?....ok group decision, jackets!
IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG
Yes it really was that warm... at that point!

Wandered up hill onto the ridge, the sky was getting ever darker, the rain heavier..... over trousers? or not??
Not... I decided personally. Then the lightening bolted through the evil black sky...... Group decision.... get off this ridge, so we took shelter about 30m below the Ridge, early lunch was called for, to ride out the storm, below Corrag Bhuidhe.
IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

Little did we know at that time we would still be "riding out the storm" 1.5hrs later!! at various stages wet jackets were removed to put on more and more "reserve" clothing, of which wasnt exactly in abundance in my backpack!! After all, I was seared alive on the Two Brothers last weekend, the temperatures this weekend werent going to be so hot, and the odd thunder storm? I wasnt going to die from exposure was I?

I have done several outdoor courses in recent years, I have an extensive first aid kit, I always carry a Group Shelter, loads of extra clothing, winter or summer. So what in hell possessed me to leave the Group shelter & extra clothing at "base camp"? I guess the complacency of one nice day the week before!! the weight of my bag.... I will NEVER remove my Group shelter again!!

Even the local feral goats appeared and looked at us, as if to say you have nabbed our shelter spot! another thunder clap and they ran off....

So we sat, we ate lots of sandwiches, albeit a little soggy!! Then to add insult in injury? the hailstones began, pinged at from every angle, to the point of irritation! really sore! the ground was actually white! I would have loved a photo, its July for goodness sake!!! However, I couldnt bare to take my freezing hands out from the sleeves of my jacket, I did however, find a pair of gloves in my bag which I had to wring out several times as we sat there.
IMG_0604.JPG

We then began to think about an escape route, which would have brought us down to Shenavall, which would have meant abandoning the hope of "Completion" for our two friends. Absolutely no wind meant the storm wasnt moving anywhere fast, however, wishful thinking, we did think perhaps it was a little further off. So as we were starting to shiver, and began to dance, disco dancing with a little singing, yes I think first signs of hypothermia for sure! We were even doing the twist! ..... no wonder my knee is sore!!

So off we went back up the hill.... sticking to the "goat track" I had been warned about it being tricky and exposed, however, we had little option now. As it was, the goat track was fine, only one bit was a little tricky, and I mean a little.... I'm not the bravest scrambler, so if I can do it.....

Soon we were up on Sgurr Fiona, I was last... and determined I was having my photo taken on my namesake!
IMG_0605.JPG
Sgurr Fiona Reigns.....

So whilst the others barely took time to stand up straight, I went up for my photoshoot..... Whilst the others panicked and shouted get off there, I decided If I get struck by a lightening on "my" mountain.... its a fitting end! how many Fionas have died by lightening on Sgurr Fiona? Well as I smiled proud of my achievement.... the hugest clap of thunder and bolt of lightening struck, not on the mountain, but not far off!!! ok ..... Sgurr Fiona, you are indeed Queen. I succumb to the power of nature and the mountains.

Off we trotted to the boys final munro, Bidein a Ghlas Thuill, rain and thunder finally subsiding.
The champagne was cracked open, the Old Aberlour whisky poured and we partied!! Well done Graham and Theo, only the 11th Dutchman to complete the munros.
IMG_0610.JPG
Cheers Boys... a VERY WELL DONE!

Meantime the cloud cleared off the ridge, and Sgurr Fiona peeped out, huh, no need to be demure now lady!! What a beautiful ridge that is, perhaps one day I will go back and do the pinnicles......
IMG_0614.JPG
So Party on !

IMG_0620.JPG
Tipsy Fi!

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

So all feeling the affects of the alcohol, we gaily made our way off the hill, a long trek back, midges a plenty, Cleggs too.
IMG_0635.JPG
Waterfall perhaps a little fuller than it was this time last week!

We had almost dried off when we had to crawl through a rhodedendrum forest! between the soaking wet branches all over the path, the very wet slippy roots, it was a real challenge, I was surprised this route was allowed to be overgrown by this "alien" plant. Growing over the proper path too! At one point, there is a fence with a barbed string at neck height! which is hard to spot because of the amount of overgrowth! Mmmm wonder if somebody doesnt want us using this path?

Anyway, that was an exciting walk, not the kind of excitement I would want to repeat in a hurry, but WOW a great day out!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: An Teallach - Only One Queen(Sgurr) Fiona Reigns

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Great piccies

Don't know if I'd fancy being on an tealllach in that weather - well done for sticking it out :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Nice report, don't fancy being up there with Lightning and Thunder, well done all :clap: Congrats. to Graham and Theo on Compleation. Like the photograph Foo Fi :lol: I guess a few Aberlours were drunk, and why not indeed.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Grand stuff but aye lightning on the hill is hellish unsettling :shock:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 am

I was on An Teallach the Saturday before you which was also a final Munro for someone. It's a great mountain and well worth saving for last, well done to your friend. I was also out during a thunderstorm on Friday, not nice but not much you can to about it apart from keep walking. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 am

"Tipsy Tellach"... An adventure to be remembered, eh? :wink: :lol: :lol:
There's nothing better than happy, smiling faces on mountain tops. Well done, folks, especially in that weather. And a deserved celebration :clap: :clap:

I must go back to the Forge sometime, took the bypass path the first time, maybe I'll try the pinnacles now :shock:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Hill-loving lady » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:51 am

Just love your report - your humour in such conditions is a testament to us hillwalkers' perversity I reckon :lol:
A brilliant hill, one to savour for sure, and well done all of you :clap: :clap: :clap:

PS - Thought the feral goat's horns would perhaps make good lightning conductors???
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

Ah great stuff and well done to you all. I have still to visit An Teallach, can hardly wait, one day the radar will naturally home right in :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Enjoyed that - have also yet to get here but am hoping for a very dry day when I do ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Well done for sticking it out through the thunder, and getting the summits done, Fiona. Definitely a day to avoid the pinnacles.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland