walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fun with my wife and three sisters

Fun with my wife and three sisters

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 28/07/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ok now that I've attracted your attention (you mucky lot :roll: ) this is in fact (not a surprise I’m sure) a walk report not the latest entry to “hillwalkers wives” :lol:

We haven’t been on any big hills for a few weeks since our 3 day tour (see my last report - its been all BBq's and weekly ice climbing (indoor of course!) ) but as we re helping a group of Teenage Cancer trust fundraisers up Ben Nevis next week we realised we needed something a bit taxing to stretch the legs.

I’ve been looking at BNB for some time, winter it seemed far too complex so this was the week to go for it” Weather all week was brilliant. Sunday on the other hand… RAIN! And lots of it. Ad to that it was warm and you get what I like to call GoreTex Sauna!

Anyway enough moaning I hear you all cry (if you’re still reading this far that is) and on with the report,

The route is the standard WH one so I’ll not go into in detail but the main points were :-
It’s a big hill :shock:
Its quite a complex hill navigation wise :?
IT’S A CRACKING HILL!!! :clap:

Basically its lots of Munros in one.. steep valley walk in, lovely rivers and waterfalls, steps, scree, scrambles , ridge walks, secret valleys and AMAZING views!

Bidean Nam Bian by coachmacca, on Flickr
One of the said amazing views

I have to confess we didn’t do Stob Coire Sgreemhach (what a name!) as simply we were puggled but for a full day out it still rocked our weekend!
I always though a threesome would be great and boy was it!

The walk in

Mist and rain all day until the last hour of the beautiful walk out , some steep hiking in, bit of slabby scrambling then up through the first coire buttress and swing NW and come up the shoulder of the scary looking pinnacle buttress, some great fun easy scrambling to get to the ridge top then you walk an amazing ridge with stunning views all around.

Out first target - Stob Coire nan Lochan

Pass amazing gullies and butress’s that I’d love to come back and try in winter with the axes and crampons and then finally top out on the sadly undersold Stob Coire nan Lochan.

Pinnale Buttress (its ok if you head right its an easier path up!)

MrsMacca and a nice buttress

Well earned rest on Stob Core nan Lochan

Wee rest and some more to eat as we looked across at the dark mass of Bidean nam Bian itself only revealed in part as the mists separated on occasion to tempt and terrify us…. True to the route description the bealach then ascent ridge look very steep and pretty daunting but as you drop down and cross to it you see that while rocky and quite steep its well doable.

Heading up BNB

Looking across to Lost Valley Buttress (the red line at the left had bealach dropping down is the scree run out)

Last few huffs and puffs, water stops, picture stops, breather stops etc we made it up and to the cairn! To this point we had only me one other sole the whole day passing him on our ascent as he headed down and we never saw anyone else . Fantastic!

Looking back to Stob Coire nan Lochan

From here as the mists rolled across the land around you really couldn’t help but be blown away by the views. Stayed for a bit just to soak it all in then headed down to the SE and on to the route home.

Looking across to Stob Coire Sgreamhach and Beinn Fhada

Heading over Lost Valley Buttress

Over a last 3 peaks, few sheep running down the hill to escape these strange 2 legged beasties and then down the steep red scree gully and onto the excellent path.

From here you’re looking down the almost magical Lost Valley – as my mum is a McDonald I had a look for any “stray” cattle to “gather and protect” but none around.

Lost Valley - Now where did I put those cattle? :wink:

Cannot wait to come back and camp here!

Another 2 hours and we were making our way down to the last leg, across the river and out through the final densely planted but well maintained path back out to the car park. I'm glad the local sherpas had been in to set the fixed ropes on that last bit!

A last look back to take it all in and the ache in the legs just disappears!

A pretty big day for us at 9 hours but we are now “in training” for Island Peak next year so more to follow!! Hope you enjoy the pics full set and others are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/coachmacca/
Last edited by coachmacca on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Fun with my wife and three sisters

Postby scooby0511 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Nice report, I've only went as far as the Valley with the family, but will return and climb those hills
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm

scooby0511 wrote:Nice report, I've only went as far as the Valley with the family, but will return and climb those hills

Brilliant hill, I love the whole area - I'll need to come back and do Stob Coire Sgreamhach and Beinn Fhada but was just too goosed..
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Would agree with your comments on these hills - one of my favourite walks so far with great views down Glen Etive and over to Loch Creran - pity about the weather but you can always pop back up when you go back camping there :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby coachmacca » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:14 pm

rockhopper wrote:Would agree with your comments on these hills - one of my favourite walks so far with great views down Glen Etive and over to Loch Creran - pity about the weather but you can always pop back up when you go back camping there :wink: - cheers :)

Exactly! :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Nice one coachmacca! Although not blue skies the photos are great - atmospheric with the mist rolling about :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:09 pm

One of my favourite mountains,and now you get to go back and climb its 2nd munro
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby coachmacca » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:37 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:One of my favourite mountains,and now you get to go back and climb its 2nd munro

Beinn Fhada as well GLW!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland