walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Ghlo Triple

Beinn a'Ghlo Triple

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:23 am

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 27/07/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1386m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two weeks ago my tally of Munros sat at 42 but when I checked to see how many times I had stood on the summit of a Munro the figure I came up with was 136 - in other words I have certain hills I just seem to keep going back to and I don't jump in the car and do new hills as often as I should.

The plan was to get my total up to 50 as quickly as possible so 2 trips to Glen Lyon on the last couple of weekends gave me another 6 newbies and I was on 48 heading into today.

Heading up the A9 the valley floor was misty but I do a lot of walking around Dunkeld and Loch Ordie so I know how common this is and that the chances were that a little bit higher up and the mist would have cleared and that turned out to be the case as I parked up near Loch Moraig at 8.30.

1 - start.jpg
Carn Liath from car park

2.jpg
Loch Moraig

Another morning of blue sky, a warm sun and no hint of a breeze so another Factor 50 day in store. By the time I had walked along the track and was turning off for Carn Liath I was already sweating - the climb was going to be tough.

3.jpg
Carn Liath getting closer

4.jpg
Looking back towards Dunkeld

I found the walk up Carn Liath the hardest part of the day, a fairly steady steep climb and a completely flat calm morning so no breeze to cool me down. Shades back in the rucksack as they don't have windscreen wipers.

5.jpg
Climb up Carn Liath

It was a great feeling to get the steep part of the climb finished with the last little stretch on a much easier gradient.

6.jpg
Gradient gets easier

Summit reached, I think I can feel a breeze.............................wonderful :lol:

9 - Summit - Ust thius ome.jpg
Carn Liath Summit - low cloud still sitting in the valley floor

8.jpg
Targets 2 & 3

I loved the ridge walk over to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhaigain, an easy track to follow with wonderful views all around and hill 2 looking very imposing. Having suffered from "jelly legs" on Carn Liath I got my strength back on the ridge walk helped by the fact that there was a good breeze picking up which helped to keep me cool.

10 Ridge.jpg
Heading towards BCCB

12.jpg
Lower slopes of BCCB

The gradient on the lower slopes of BCCB was initially quite steep but eased towards the top and it was a fairly straight forward walk over to the summit of the 2nd top of the day - IT'S FIFTY!!

13.jpg
Summit of BCCB looking towards Carn nan Gabhar

I only stopped at the summit for 5 minutes before heading off for the 3rd top of the day.

14.jpg
Heading towards Bealach an Fhiodha

I took a track that headed left of the little top between BCCB and Carn nan Gabhar and then banked round to the right and dropped down to the bealach before starting the final climb of the day.

15.jpg
Starting the climb up to Carn nan Gabhar

Now that the temperature had dropped and the breeze was getting stronger I had my climbing legs back and the walk up to Carn nan Gabhar was fairly quick and easy. I took in the three different tops, firstly a large cairn followed by a trig point and then a further cairn which is the actual summit.

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

17.jpg
Looking back towards hills 1 and 2

Decision time for the route back to the car, I had considered heading back and doing the lower top (Argiod Bheinn) but having looked at the drop off it looked really steep so decided just to head back to Bealach an Fhioda and head down the track from there.

20.jpg
View from Bealach an Fhiodha

The track is a bit boggy in places and at times difficult to follow but it doesn't take long before the stalker's path on the other side of the burn comes in to view. It's worth stopping a couple of times to look round at the hills just climbed, a fantastic view.

21.jpg

Once over the burn the track is on spongy soft peat and easy on the feet but fairly up and down (and boggy in places) so quite tiring and it seems to take longer than expected to reach the hut by Carn Liath which has been in view for ages but never seemed to be getting any closer. At one point the track forked and I took the right hand option which kept closer to the hills on my right. No idea if this was the correct choice, I assumed both paths would link up with the main track so it probably didn't make any difference. I eventually lost the path but the main track was only about 200 yards away so it was just a case of trying to find the driest route.

22.jpg
A quick break to look back at the view

Back on the track it's noticeable that the breeze has disappeared and the heat has increased so it's hot work for the last couple of miles back to the car.

23.jpg
Wooden hut just before the climb starts on Carn Liath

24.jpg
Last shot of Carn Liath as I head past

25.jpg
View from car park

Another brilliant day, easier walking than the last couple of weeks as the breeze kept the temp down. Great visibility and three really enjoyable hills (although Carn Liath felt like a bit of a slog in the heat).

No idea why it's taken me so long to do these hills as every time I head north on the dual carriageway of the A9 north of Pitlochry I always look up to Carn Liath and tell Andrea I'm going to climb it - finally it's done.

And, I'm now on 51, a fairly pathetic total compared to many but a bit of a milestone for me.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Beinn a'Ghlo Triple

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Nice report there Geordie, and good weather for a cracking day on lovely hills. The last wee bit seems to go on for ages to get to the track, but well done on reaching the 50 :D now for the Ton! Hard going the first climb, glad you got a breeze on top.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:35 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Nice report there Geordie, and good weather for a cracking day on lovely hills. The last wee bit seems to go on for ages to get to the track, but well done on reaching the 50 :D now for the Ton! Hard going the first climb, glad you got a breeze on top.

Hi Rod

That's what Andrea said to me "when are you going to get 100 done?".

I was chatting to a woman from Killiecrankie who was out running with her dogs and she was saying that on Friday they had thunder and lightning and their garden was white will hailstones so looks like I got the right day for it (decided to stay indoors on Friday based on the forecast).

No reports this week - a week off?
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby dunrock » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Great report and pictures gordie. No what you mean about the mist around dunkeld yesterday. We were up at loch ordie, we parked at guay and were above the clouds. Cracking day.
dunrock
Bird-watcher

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:11   
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:55 pm

dunrock wrote:Great report and pictures gordie. No what you mean about the mist around dunkeld yesterday. We were up at loch ordie, we parked at guay and were above the clouds. Cracking day.

Hi dunrock

Hope you enjoyed your walk at Loch Ordie, it's two months now since I've been there...........I'll be getting the shakes for the place soon.

I never get bored with the scenery and once past the loch heading north the crowds thin out a bit (especially at the weekend).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 pm

They are nice hills these , I did the route backwards but when its dry its easy enough either way :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Collaciotach wrote:They are nice hills these , I did the route backwards but when its dry its easy enough either way :D

Hi Collaciotach

I looked at doing this route backwards as well but I preferred the longer flatish walk out to the steep drop off Carn Liath so just stuck with the normal route (didn't meet anybody coming in the opposite direction).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 am

Congrats on your 50th :D :D and a superb ridge walk to celebrate the round number. I reached my 100th on Beinn a'Ghlo in May, it was still covered in snow back then - what a difference now!

My husband has a similar problem to you with repeating Munros. Officially he's on 147 now, but if counting repeats, he's probably gone over 250 now :lol: :lol: With me, he's done at least 70 repeats plus multiple times up Wyvis and Beinn Eighe... Sometimes statistics don't give you justice.
Happy journey to your ton :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Congrats on your 50th :D :D and a superb ridge walk to celebrate the round number. I reached my 100th on Beinn a'Ghlo in May, it was still covered in snow back then - what a difference now!

My husband has a similar problem to you with repeating Munros. Officially he's on 147 now, but if counting repeats, he's probably gone over 250 now :lol: :lol: With me, he's done at least 70 repeats plus multiple times up Wyvis and Beinn Eighe... Sometimes statistics don't give you justice.
Happy journey to your ton :D

Thank you.............it's taken a while. Your husband's Wyvis is my Carn ant Sagairt Mor in Glenshee - six times last year and double figures overall.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Well done on the 50 Gordie. Loch Moraig is the centrepiece for one of my favourite photos. It was a still day, no movement on the loch and nice white low cloud touching the hills in the background. More so as for the rest of the walk I was generally stuck in clag :lol: . Wasn't a huge fan of the walk out, even after the desensitising of having walked Donalds in the winter :wink: - when I do this again I'd just go back over the ridge. I checked afterwards and I'd have been looking at 16-1700m ascent. Worth it I think

Lovely photos too, even if they make me very jealous at not having seen the ridge as I walked it!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:14 pm

gmr82 wrote:Well done on the 50 Gordie. Loch Moraig is the centrepiece for one of my favourite photos. It was a still day, no movement on the loch and nice white low cloud touching the hills in the background. More so as for the rest of the walk I was generally stuck in clag :lol: . Wasn't a huge fan of the walk out, even after the desensitising of having walked Donalds in the winter :wink: - when I do this again I'd just go back over the ridge. I checked afterwards and I'd have been looking at 16-1700m ascent. Worth it I think

Lovely photos too, even if they make me very jealous at not having seen the ridge as I walked it!

hi gmr82

Sorry, didn't mean to make you jealous :lol: but it was a great day.

Just before starting the climb up to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhaigain I noticed a track heading off to the right which must head down to the main track up from the car park so you could do the three clockwise, head back over the middle Munro then before heading up on to the ridge to Carn Liath you would have an exit which would save the last climb (and the steep descent of Carn Liath).

Hope your getting out on the hills just now (haven't seen a report for a while).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:56 pm

Great walk this, happy memories for me as i did my 100th on Beinn a' Ghlo :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:37 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Great walk this, happy memories for me as i did my 100th on Beinn a' Ghlo :D

Hi Johnny C

A popular hill for milestones!!

The view from Carn Liath looking towards the next two tops is quite daunting but I didn't realise I had already done the hardest work of the day.

It's taken me 20 years to do this walk, hopefully it won't be another 20 before I return.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Nice report there Geordie, and good weather for a cracking day on lovely hills. The last wee bit seems to go on for ages to get to the track, but well done on reaching the 50 :D now for the Ton! Hard going the first climb, glad you got a breeze on top.

Hi Rod

That's what Andrea said to me "when are you going to get 100 done?".

I was chatting to a woman from Killiecrankie who was out running with her dogs and she was saying that on Friday they had thunder and lightning and their garden was white will hailstones so looks like I got the right day for it (decided to stay indoors on Friday based on the forecast).

No reports this week - a week off?

I'm being good hoping to get to Skye meet with WH and maybe extend to the following weekend at Milehouse at Kincraig with the Club :wink: Got a few things planned, fingers crossed re weather, but as usual will have back up plans :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby alvason » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Great report and very interesting, thanks very much! Well done!

I haven't been in the hills for a very very long time - I notice there are so many tracks now and there seems to be a lot of erosion. Is this a general problem ? Or just isolated cases ?

Best wishes
Adam
alvason
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland