walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Wyvis- My Compleat Story.

Ben Wyvis- My Compleat Story.

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 27/07/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 935m

37 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

BEN WYVIS AND MY STORY

Ben Wyvis
27th of July 2013. A day I will always remember. :D
People : Me , Polly , Mark, Willie , Jonny, Irene , Dave, Andy, Neil , Di , Debs , Matt , Jason, Rhianna, Willie , Kev, Martin , Julie , Dave, Hazel, Andy , Campbell, Monty, Theresa, Bod , Val, Geo , Chantell , Kevin , Colin , Stevie , Murdo , Abby, Stu , Fi , Paul and Dawn
Thanks guys for coming. You are all amazing people and I'm delighted to call you my friends.
Well done to all especially the non hill walkers who where the first to the summit!

Dogs : Charlie , Frodo , Rocky , Ritchie and Bob
I am not really one for writing reports but it was my last Munro. So before you read any further I suggest you put the kettle on and share with me my magical day on Ben Wyvis and my journey through time compleating the Munros.
In this report I have tried to use all the photos of my own but I have stolen 1 or 2 pics. :wink:

Why Ben Wyvis for last? Well from day 1, when I started doing the Munros, I had so many family and friends say 'When you do Wyvis, we will come it with you'. So I just decided to keep it as my last Munro to do. Also it is the closest Munro to my house and I see it every day. However, sadly due to varying circumstances, very few of friends and family came with me :(

So the date was set. Today I would complete the mission I set out for 3 years. All 282 Munros done, I wasn't just completing- I was compleating!!! :D :D :D
After having Monty and Gammy stay at my house on the Friday night, I was up at 7am, far later than many of the people I would be walking with on Wyvis. And so I started getting ready for the final hill. As the morning went on many of the gang began to appear at my house. Wowsers what a nice surprise I got when they pulled up in the 4x4 limo !!!(thanks Polly ) :clap: :lol:
So quickly after all the people who were staying at my house for the night dumped their gear, we were off. Lots of fun and laughter on the way out to Wyvis. A quick stop at Tarvie for bacon rolls and discover more of the gang with the same idea.
I knew there were a lot of people coming but when we pulled into the Ben Wyvis carpark I was shocked to see just the amount who had turned up. After lots of mingling about, everyone meeting each other, many for the first time, I looked around at all the happy faces. Among the throng was another woman who would also be compleating on Wyvis. We would meet later at the summit.
Monty and Mountainthyme had set off earlier to bag Little Wyvis but caught up with us at the summit off Ben Wyvis.
So we set off slighty later than planned. On the ascent up Wyvis I really did have a mixed bag on emotions and at times it was like a funeral for me. What I had set out to achieve would all be over with today. I didn't really speak much with folk heading up as I was close to being in depression but strangely enough I was happy at the same time!
As the group headed up there was some distance between everyone so there was a quick stop half way up. It get allowed people to catch up and have a quick snack and also for some larking about. Soon we were off again and before we knew it we were on the broad ridge and approaching the summit. At last I could see the finishing line in the distance!
So as I reached the trig point there were loads off cheers for me. I had finally done it. I had completed the munros!!!! Wowsers!!!!My biggest achievement ever!!!
Lots of congratulations, hand shakes and hugs and lots off bottles of champagne came out.
After lots of photographs were taken and I mean lots! people relaxed taking in the views. Some trying to identify which hills were in the distance and others just concentrated on eating and drinking! The rain clouds which we had avoided us all day decided to pay us a brief visit and didn't cause too many soakings thankfully. With one lot of celebrations behind us it was time to get a move on because there a party to get to at night. So we headed back down the same way as we came up. Back at the car park we said out farewells to the ones who unfortunately could not make it at night and I thanked them for coming all this way just for me.

Polly and Mark
Me and Daffy :D

Geo and chantell

Me and my 2 wee friends Di and Debs :D
The masses of people ascending wyvis :D
Me and my Niece abby
Scoob just having a little to much fun :lol:

Group pic off every 1 that helped me celebrate :D
yeah am a Bawbag :D
Me and polly Starfishing :lol:

Pocket watch from my dad :D

Art work by Polly :D
Links to scoobs vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK9ZHZ17kLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W6YMTaixwk
Then it was back to my house in the decked out Land Rover ( apologies to Stevie who nearly got a can of Stella through his windscreen, luckily his driving skills are a lot better than Polly's!) While Dawn, Monty, Polly, Stevie, Colin, Irene and Dave got showered and glammed up I got the pizzas and drinks organised and sorted out who was sleeping where!!.
Then we were off to the British Legion on the bank of the beautiful River Ness for the party. The hall soon filled up with family, friends and hillwalkers alike. For entertainment there was a D.J playing cheesy tunes but the highlight of the night was definitely Yvonne playing the bag pipes. Thanks Yvonne , sorry you had to witness lots of very bad dance moves :crazy: :clap: :D
Thanks to all who came at night. I had a totally fab time and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as me!
Geo and chantell
Monty , Lenore
After the Party :lol:

Me , Gillian , Theresa
Val , Chantell , Irene
Stevie and Dawn
Neil and Polly
There is Scoob Vid from night :lol: But i would rather not show it. Those on facebook will have seen it :lol:

Ok we all know them as the Munros but after looking on Walkhighlands, I learned that the first person to compleat was Rev. A. E. Robertson. The second person to complete was Rev. Ronald Burn.
So between the first 2 people to compleat, my full name is there- Ronald Robertson, I reckon it was my destiny to compleat the Munros. :D

As a kid I was never really a sporty person. Never had any active hobbiesand was never any good at any sports. Then back in 2009 my life-long friend Graeme started hill walking. To be honest I started taking the **** out off him over buying walking poles and all the gear. However fast forward to April 2010 when I decided to head out with Graeme and the dogs to do my very first hillwalking trip. The hills we decided on that day were
So that was it, I had sort of caught the hillwalking bug. Initially I decided to only go out on good sunny days and also to only do hills that my good walking partner Charlie the chocolate lab could do. Needless to say that soon changed!!! As I mentioned above, I had been talked into keeping Ben Wyvis to last by my family and friends. You have no idea how hard it was to do this, I could see it every day, often passing it on the way to climb other hills- very frustrating indeed.!!!!

Soon hillwalking went from being a hobby to being a real passion. At this point I didn't think I was particularly fast on the hills but a chance meeting with a local journalist proved otherwise to a certain extent.
http://issuu.com/ronaldrobertson/docs/fc04_02_11p26

And so the actual business of getting these hills done...... :D

In 2011 I went all out and managed to do 110 that year. I was out walking 55 times and this included 3 failed attempts. But in 2012 I had a total change of heart and started doing repeats with forum members. It was became about going out and having a laugh more than anything. Also at this time I started collecting Munro tops, Corbetts , Grahams , Sub 2000. There is definitely more to life than just bagging Munros. However in April 2013, after getting put under pressure from a lot of members as to when I was going to compleat, I decided to set a date. This gave me the motivation push on and get my round finished!!!

As if I didn't have enough going on, in April 2013 I decided I wanted to join a mountain rescue team and I'm happy to report that I am currently a very willing student in their excellent training programme. Over the last 2 training sessions I have had with them I have learned which gear and medical equipment they carry with them and also dry tooling, abseiling, rock climbing. So hopefully come this time next year I should be part of Torridon mountain rescue. :D :D

Here are some of the facts and figures of how I got to where I am today.
Bothies
Suileag , Shenavall

Camping trips - 2
Introduced people to hill walking-5 people
Over the years I have met and walked with some amazing people I have met through Walkhighlands. Some who have become very good friends of mine. Some of which I speak to daily. People who I have shared plenty of stories with on the hills, other who I could ask advice on routes and others who I could share my experience of past routes that I have done. Some have shared some glorious days with me but also days where we have been battling the conditions.
I have had plenty of failed attempts out walking over the last few years for various reasons. People falling in to rivers (you know who you are ) :lol: :lol: , dogs struggling with the cold weather. Some days having to turn back due to weather conditions. People with me not having the right equipment. Some days lack off energy and also some days just getting lost!!!
Inverness has been the most perfect central location as I can do most hills in a day trip. :D

Here is the list of Walkhighland members i have walked with and the hill I have done with them. I have also met a load more at the organised WH meet ups.
I have also had quite a few members stay at my house. Over the past year, Iain Watson, Campbell, Polly , Mark, Monty, Willie, Lenore, Stevie, Dawn, Irene , Dave and Brian
Munros - black Corbetts - red Grahams - Blue Sub2000 - green

Pollyh33 My Pal :D Inn pin 19-07-2013
- Carn a'Chlamain, Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag), Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stuchd an Lochain , Bla Bheinn, Aonach Meadhoin, Saileag, Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgurr Fhuaran, Sgurr na Carnach, Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe, Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Sgor na h-Ulaidh, Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor, Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach), Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar, Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a'Choire Leith (Liathach), Carn Dearg (Corrour), Sgor Gaibhre, Beinn na Lap ,Binnein Beag, Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean, Sgurr Eilde Mor , Beinn a'Chrulaiste , Mount Keen , Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin) , Ben More (Mull) , Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain , Ben Lomond , Moruisg , Stac Pollaidh , Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhor (Glen Lochay) , Inaccessible Pinnacle , Ben Wyvis 48 munros , 1 corbett , 1 graham

jock mcjock Pic taken on Beinn Heasgarnich 17-05-2013Image
Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mor, Carn Dearg (Corrour), Sgor Gaibhre , Mount Keen , Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin) , Ben More (Mull) Ben Lomond , Stac Pollaidh , Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhor (Glen Lochay) , Inaccessible Pinnacle , Ben Wyvis 13 munros , 1 Graham

gammy leg walker On the now demoted corbett :lol: :lol:
- Carn a'Chlamain, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar, Beinn a'Chlaidheimh , Ben Wyvis 7 munros , 1 corbett

geoaddison
- Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mor, Sgurr Alasdair, Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, Beinn a'Chleibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss, Toll Creagach, Tom a'Choinich, Ben Wyvis 11 munros

Chantell
- Ben Wyvis

Dawn Pic stolen from FB
- Ben Wyvis

Kevin Woods- Pic taken on wyvis 27-07-2013
Ben Wyvis

graeme macdowall
- Meall na Teanga, Sron a'Choire Ghairbh, Gairich, Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgorr Ruadh, Mullach nan Coirean, Sgurr a'Mhaim, Stob Ban (Mamores), Carn Ghluasaid, Sail Chaorainn, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Meall a'Chrasgaidh, Sgurr nan Clach Geala, Sgurr nan Each, Sgurr Fhuaran, Sgurr na Carnach, Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe, Meallan nan Uan, Sgurr a'Mhuilinn, Geal Charn (Monadhliath), Aonach Meadhoin, Ciste Dhubh, Saileag, Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg, Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhaim, Creag nan Damh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgurr an Doire Leathain, Sgurr an Lochain, Beinn a'Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach, Bla Bheinn, Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin), Ben Nevis, Carn Mor Dearg, Carn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgurr a'Choire Ghlais, Sgurr Fhuar-thuill, Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Sgurr na Sgine, The Saddle, Ben More Assynt, Conival, Beinn Fhada, Seana Bhraigh, Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stuc a'Chroin, An Stuc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh, Meall a'Choire Leith, Meall Corranaich, Carn na h-Easgainn, Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean, Sgurr Eilde Mor, Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgurr Fiona (An Teallach), Sgurr Alasdair, Sgurr Mhic Choinnich , Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mor), Stob na Broige (Buachaille Etive Mor) , Inaccessible Pinnacle 63munros , 2 corbetts , 1 graham

greigers

- Sgurr Dubh Mor, Sgurr nan Eag 2munros

jonny616 Fisherfield
- Carn a'Chlamain, Bla Bheinn, Aonach Meadhoin, Saileag, Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgurr Fhuaran, Sgurr na Carnach, Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe, Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mor, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich, Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mor, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar, Beinn a'Chlaidheimh , Ben Wyvis 20 munros, 1 corbett

mack3n21e
- Creise, Meall a'Bhuiridh, Bynack More, Sgurr Dubh Mor, Sgurr nan Eag, 4munros

meatball
- Aonach Meadhoin, Saileag, Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgurr Fhuaran, Sgurr na Carnach, Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe, Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a'Choire Leith (Liathach), Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgurr Fiona (An Teallach), Toll Creagach, Tom a'Choinich , Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mor) , Ben Wyvis 13 munros

savagealice -
Beinn a'Chlaidheimh , Beinn a'Chleibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss , An Stac, Rois-Bheinn, Sgurr na Ba Glaise 4 munros , 4corbett

spiderwebb - Meall Chuaich, Creag Ruadh (Dalwhinnie), Ben Wyvis 2 munro , 1 graham
Hazel and dave
Hill loving lady - Ben wyvis
Londonwalkers Pic stolen off FB
- Ben wyvis

Ceasur
- Toll Creagach, Tom a'Choinich

Bald eagle
- Toll Creagach, Tom a'Choinich , Ben Lomond , Ben Wyvis

supremebean -
Ruadh-stac Mor (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe), Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach, Carn Gorm, Carn Mairg, Creag Mhor (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Carn Mairg), Garbh Chioch Mhor, Sgurr na Ciche, Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary), Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain, Stob a'Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar, Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Carn Liath (Beinn a'Ghlo), Carn nan Gabhar, Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh, Sgurr a'Mhadaidh, Sgurr na Banachdich, Meall a'Choire Leith, Meall Corranaich, Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgurr a'Mhaim, Stob Coire a'Chairn, Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean, Sgurr Eilde Mor, Stac Pollaidh, Suilven, Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Avon, Derry Cairngorm, Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Gorm, Cairn Toul, Carn a'Mhaim, Sgor an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point 40 munros , 2 grahams

alan s
- Carn a'Chlamain, Beinn a'Chlaidheimh, Sgurr Ban 2munros , 1 corbett

pablo Pic stolen from FB
- Carn a'Chlamain , Ben Wyvis 2 munro

iain watson
- Aonach Meadhoin, Saileag, Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgurr Fhuaran, Sgurr na Carnach, Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe, An Socach (Affric), Mullach nan Dheiragain, Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a'Choire Leith (Liathach), Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgurr Fiona (An Teallach) , Stac Pollaidh
13 munros , 1 graham

scoob999 - Aonach Meadhoin, Saileag, Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgurr Fhuaran, Sgurr na Carnach, Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe Ben Lomond , Ben Wyvis 8 munros
Fi - Ben Lomond , Ben Wyvis

Foggie hill climber - Pic stolen from Fb
Ben Wyvis

Irene and Dave Morris
- Ben Wyvis

Bod
- Ben Wyvis

Val Pic stolen off FB
- Ben Wyvis

Monty - On the summit off Quinag 26-07-2013
Image Quinag - Sail Gharbh, Quinag - Sail Gorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich , Ben Wyvis
Mountain thyme -
Quinag - Sail Gharbh, Quinag - Sail Gorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich , Ben Wyvis

Lenore -
Creag nan Clag , Fionn Bheinn , Stac Pollaidh , Cul Beag

tomsie
- Meall Chuaich, Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mor) 2 munros

wackyjacky - Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgurr Thuilm 2 munros

andy millar1
- Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mor, Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar, Beinn a'Chleibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss, Carn Dearg (Corrour), Sgor Gaibhre , Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin) , Ben More (Mull) , Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain 22 munros

Neil
- Mount Keen , Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin) , Ben Wyvis 4 munros

Montrose john - Mount Keen

colin levy
- Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar , Ben Wyvis 6 munros

Lady Di ( daffy ) :D
- Ben Chonzie, Sgorr Dhearg (Beinn a'Bheithir), Sgorr Dhonuill (Beinn a'Bheithir), Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin) , Ruadh-stac Mor (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe ) , Beinn Sgulaird, Ciste Dhubh , Am Bathach , Beinn a'Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich, Ben Cruachan, Stob Diamh , Gulvain , Ben More , Stob Binnein , Ben Challum , An Caisteal, Beinn a'Chroin, Beinn Chabhair, Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Ardrain , Meall Glas, Sgiath Chuil , An Socach (Braemar), Carn an Fhidhleir (Carn Ealar) , Ben Wyvis 27 munros , 1 corbett

Debs (non member)
- Beinn a'Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich, Ben Cruachan, Stob Diamh , Meall Glas, Sgiath Chuil , An Socach (Braemar), Carn an Fhidhleir (Carn Ealar) , Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a'Choire Leith (Liathach) , Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach) , Ben Wyvis 13 Munros

Jennahart Pic stolen off Fb
- Meall Chuaich , Beinn Damh

cameron
- Inaccessible Pinnacle (thanks for taking me to do this ) :D

Nathan
- Inaccessible Pinnacle (thanks for taking me to do this ) :D

Charlie my walking companion who has earnt the nickname Mountain dog :D -
Meall na Teanga, Sron a'Choire Ghairbh, Toll Creagach, Tom a'Choinich, Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach, Gairich, Carn Ghluasaid, Sail Chaorainn, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Sgurr a'Mhaoraich, Meall a'Chrasgaidh, Sgurr nan Clach Geala, Sgurr nan Each, Maol Chean-dearg, Moruisg, Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, Fionn Bheinn, A' Chailleach, Sgurr Breac, An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich, Meall Gorm, Sgurr Mor, A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Carn Dearg (Monadhliath), Carn Sgulain, Carn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Ardair, Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain, Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain, Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Meall nan Ceapraichean, Sgurr nan Clach Geala, Beinn a'Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal Charn, Meallan nan Uan, Sgurr a'Mhuilinn, Geal Charn (Monadhliath), Stac na Cathaig, Stac Gorm, A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-charn (Drumochter), Sgairneach Mhor, The Sow of Atholl, Creag nan Clag, Tom Bailgeann, Little Wyvis, Beinn a'Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach, Beinn a'Bha'ach Ard, Beinn Enaiglair, Meall Doire Faid, An Riabhachan, An Socach (Mullardoch), Carn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Sgurr na Lapaich, Carn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgurr a'Choire Ghlais, Sgurr Fhuar-thuill, Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Am Faochagach, A' Mharconaich, Cairn of Claise, Carn an Tuirc, Carn Aosda, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, The Cairnwell, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe, Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, Sgor Gaoith, Slioch, Ben More Assynt, Conival, An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhor, Carn an Righ, Carn Bhac, Glas Tulaichean, Stob Ban (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar, Conachcraig, Beinn Sgritheall, Beinn na h-Eaglaise, Carn Breac, Seana Bhraigh, Creise, Meall a'Bhuiridh, Bynack More, Garbh Chioch Mhor, Sgurr na Ciche, Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary), Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Carn Eige), Carn Eige, Mam Sodhail, Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgurr Thuilm, Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Dorain, Stob a'Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar, Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm, Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Carn Liath (Beinn a'Ghlo), Carn nan Gabhar, Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine, Sgurr Dubh, Carn a'Chlamain, Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag), Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Carn na h-Easgainn, Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean, Sgurr Eilde Mor, Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Meall Ghaordaidh, Meall nan Tarmachan, Stuchd an Lochain, Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Sgor na h-Ulaidh, Creag Rainich, Beinn Bheag (Letterewe Forest), Groban, An Socach (Affric), Mullach nan Dheiragain, Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor, Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhor, Maoile Lunndaidh, Sgurr a'Chaorachain, Sgurr Choinnich, Beinn Tharsuinn, Sgurr na Feartaig, Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mor, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar, Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Avon, Derry Cairngorm, Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Gorm, Cairn Toul, Carn a'Mhaim, Sgor an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point, Binnein Beag, Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean, Sgurr Eilde Mor, An Caisteal, Toll Creagach, Tom a'Choinich, Ben Chonzie , Sgorr Dhearg (Beinn a'Bheithir), Sgorr Dhonuill (Beinn a'Bheithir), Ruadh-stac Mor (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe ) , Schiehallion , Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain , Beinn Sgulaird, Meall Chuaich. Ciste Dhubh , Am Bathach , Beinn Damh Driesh, Mayar , Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain, Beinn Bhuidhe, Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain, Ben Vane, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond), An Stac, Rois-Bheinn, Sgurr na Ba Glaise , Beinn a'Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich, Ben Cruachan, Stob Diamh , gulvain , Creag nan Clag , Fionn Bheinn , Moruisg , Ben More , Stob Binnein , Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhor (Glen Lochay) , Ben Challum , An Caisteal, Beinn a'Chroin, Beinn Chabhair, Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Ardrain , Meall Glas, Sgiath Chuil , Sgurr Mor (Loch Quoich) , Sgurr an Fhuarain, Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoigh , An Socach (Braemar), Carn an Fhidhleir (Carn Ealar) , Beinn a'Bhuird, Beinn a'Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac , : Beinn a'Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn Mhanach , Sgurr Choinnich Mor, Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh , Ladhar Bheinn, Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart) , Ben Wyvis
191 Munros with 23 repeats , 19 Corbetts and 6 Grahams 4 sub 2000

Also a big thank you to Pollyh33 , Jock McJock, Lady Di. who have been looking out for me when I have been out solo walking. I have just been keeping them up to date with text messages on my progress through out the day. Thanks guys

Also the following dogs I have walked with- Charlie , Barney , Frodo , Alfie , mia, holly , kayley, kaiser, bob , ritchie , rocky

Also I even have tried perfecting my starfish pose on summits ( everyone seems to copy now :) Link to a youtube slide show vid below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167RaIeQ2DU&feature=youtu.be

My most memorable day was the second time I did Bla Bheinn with pollyh33 and jonny616. We had no plans that day or what hill we were going to do, but oh what fun we had!!!
Link to jonny report
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19945
Also the trip up to Fisherfield with gammy leg walker , jonny616 , savagealice , alan s. Just 2 weeks later Beinn a'Chlaidheimh got demoted to a corbett. A certain WH member wasn't too happy!
Link to Alan s report
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24398
Also when I had meatball and iain watson up for a sleepover and climbed Liatach and An Teallach.
Link to campbells reports
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21797
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21793
So what now? I have visited some amazing parts of Scotland. Places I would never have visited if I hadn't started hill walking. I think Iwill go back and collect the munro tops and try to complete Munro's original list. I will probably return to some of the hills I didn't get any views on. Also to see how many munros I can get Charlie up to. I would also like to help other people to compleat. I just enjoy being out on the hills and having a laugh with friends. Then there are corbetts , grahams , sub 2000and low level walks. It might be fun walking through the glens,around the hills instead of over them! Also would like to get in to a lot more climbing. I have just started this but have loved every minute of it.
I also want to visit more of the islands and also to visit a lot more bothies. Alan (mountainstar) I will be asking you a lot, as you are the bothy guru!!!

Now with the help of Walkhighlands I have been able to record all my stats for every trip I have done.
It all started on 02/04/2010 with Sron a Choire Ghairbh & Meall na Teanga and finishing on Ben wyvis on 27/07/2013.

Trips : 22
Distance : 376.5km
Ascent : 24905m
Munros : 50
Corbetts : 1

Trips : 51
Distance : 924.39km
Ascent : 64164m
Munros : 110
Corbetts : 9
Grahams : 4
Sub2000 : 4

Trips : 48
Distance : 1053km
Ascent : 76702 m
Munros :111
Corbetts : 11
Grahams : 6
Sub2000 : 3

Trips : 49
Distance : 654.05km
Ascent : 52641m
Munros : 59
Corbetts : 12
Grahams : 3
Sub 2000 : 1
Since I started walking I have had ….....
160 days on the hills.
3007km Distance covered
218412m ascent
282 Munros complete 48 repeats
98 munro tops out off 228 ( would like to complete this 1 day ) Maybe
30 Corbetts 3 repeats
9 Grahams 5 repeats
8 Sub 2000 2 repeats
I have taken 10,916 photos, taking up 32.8gb

My most walked hills
Stac Pollaidh 6 times
Beinn Alligin 3 times
Liathach 4 times

Gear iIhave gone through......
3 satmaps , 3 pair of gaiters , 2 pair of walking poles , 4 pair of summer boots , 1 pair of winter boots , 1 pair of scrambling boots, 2 pairs of trail shoes , lots of jackets , 3 rucksacks Eh you really don’t want to know the amount of clothes I have bought.
Miles I have driven and money spent on petrol? Dont really want to think about it!

Now I want to say thanks to Walkhighlands for all the information they have given me since the start of my journey. Also all the Walkhighland folk who have posted reports that have given me endless hours of reading to help me plan routes.

Would I recommend for someone to compleat the Munros? Yeah its a massive achievement but as many of you know, there are far better, more exciting hills than a lot of the Munros .
Would I do a second round? NO ! as I hated the Cairngorms. But perhaps I will go back to collect the tops- maybe!
I just felt that a lot of the time I was out in very poor conditions just so that I could tick off a box!

Here is a selection of some of my favourite pics on my journey of doing the Munros. It is not easy to pick the best ones when you have close to 11,000 pictures to look through!!!!

Hope you enjoyed reading my report . As much as i have enkoyed doing the munros :D
Click on pics for larger version :D
Last edited by rocket-ron on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:98
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: Ben Wyvis My story

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Cramming all your reports into one is cheating :wink: . Well done on the compleation and I suspect it will not be your last :clap: . BTW, have you sought permission from Monty to post a picture of him :silent: :wink: ?
Last edited by LeithySuburbs on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Meatball » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Cracking stuff!
A fun end to a fun journey!
Lets go again!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Very well done Ron !!!!!!!!!!

Hunners and hunners and hunners of love from your old Maw xxxxx

PS thanks for not posting any unfortunate pics of me. The things you've seen on the hills must have left you scared/ scarred for life!!!! Xxxxxxx
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Wyvis- My Compleat Story.

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Congrats Ron! A fine achievement.

Ben Wyvis was my first Munro because, like you, I saw it every day walking to work in Inverness. Well done on managing to hold off from it.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Hill-loving lady » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm

It was a great day Ron, and a privilege to be part of your compleation. Your report is superb, giving a real insight into your journey to 282. Well done you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Congratulations :clap: 3 years to compleat and 4 years to write the report :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dooterbang » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:59 pm

I was also introduced to the hils by a friend years ago and like you it has changed my life forever in such a positive way. You truly meet some warm, funny, genuine people who go that extra mile to help you.

I bet you could never had dreamt of where all this walking would lead you to...Torridon Mountain Rescue :clap:

I agree fully about the relentless puruit of bagging Munros. There is so much more to see of Scotland and i do hope people realize this and take the time and effort to diversify.

Well done Mr Compleatist :) 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Wow. That report must have taken a while to write and get all the photos linked in :D

I enjoyed sharing your final first round Munro with you, just sorry I couldn't make the party afterwards. All the best for the Munro Tops, Further Munro Rounds, Corbetts, Grahams, Marilyns and any other bump that takes your fancy. :D
foggieclimber

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Wow, great report and great account of your journey mate :D :D :D . Great inspiration for anyone starting out and wondering what it's all about. Your pics show just how beautiful our country is and how hillwalking takes you to some breathe taking and wonderful places that most people probably never see. Very happy to have shared some of the journey with you and Charlie Mountain Dog. Well done ya mad starfishing rocket :lol: :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Many congrats... A lot crammed into a single report... :clap:

And personally, I think you chose the best day to compleat on... :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby rocket-ron » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Cramming all your reports into one is cheating :wink: . Well done on the compleation and I suspect it will not be your last :clap: . BTW, have you sought permission from Monty to post a picture of him :silent: :wink: ?

Ha Ha My pics i can post them

Meatball wrote:Cracking stuff!
A fun end to a fun journey!
Lets go again!

Cheers for the bottle off whiskey meatball

Hill-loving lady wrote:It was a great day Ron, and a privilege to be part of your compleation. Your report is superb, giving a real insight into your journey to 282. Well done you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Hazel wasnice to meet you for the first time on saturday :D

Johnny Corbett wrote:Congratulations :clap: 3 years to compleat and 4 years to write the report :lol:

:lol: i have been writting it since i started hill walking :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Very well done Ron !!!!!!!!!!

Hunners and hunners and hunners of love from your old Maw xxxxx

PS thanks for not posting any unfortunate pics of me. The things you've seen on the hills must have left you scared/ scarred for life!!!! Xxxxxxx

Cheers polly. We have had so so many laughs on the time. Time to help you complete now :D
Things i have seen. Can stay in my memory :lol:

HighlandSC wrote:Congrats Ron! A fine achievement.

Ben Wyvis was my first Munro because, like you, I saw it every day walking to work in Inverness. Well done on managing to hold off from it.

Cheers HighlandSC so so hard to leave the closest to last

dooterbang wrote:I was also introduced to the hils by a friend years ago and like you it has changed my life forever in such a positive way. You truly meet some warm, funny, genuine people who go that extra mile to help you.

I bet you could never had dreamt of where all this walking would lead you to...Torridon Mountain Rescue :clap:

I agree fully about the relentless puruit of bagging Munros. There is so much more to see of Scotland and i do hope people realize this and take the time and effort to diversify.

Well done Mr Compleatist :) 8)

Yeah paul its amazing how a hobby can change your life. Hopfully this time next year. I will be part off torridon :D

foggieclimber wrote:Wow. That report must have taken a while to write and get all the photos linked in :D

I enjoyed sharing your final first round Munro with you, just sorry I couldn't make the party afterwards. All the best for the Munro Tops, Further Munro Rounds, Corbetts, Grahams, Marilyns and any other bump that takes your fancy. :D

Thanks for coming on sat foggie. was great to meet you :D

Jock McJock wrote:Wow, great report and great account of your journey mate :D :D :D . Great inspiration for anyone starting out and wondering what it's all about. Your pics show just how beautiful our country is and how hillwalking takes you to some breathe taking and wonderful places that most people probably never see. Very happy to have shared some of the journey with you and Charlie Mountain Dog. Well done ya mad starfishing rocket :lol: :lol:

Cheers Mark if it was not for charlie. i would off never started hill walking. i just started to give him a decent walk :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:98
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby morag1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Congratulations on compleating the Munros :clap:

I really enjoyed reading your report and looking at all your photos - I think this is the best report I have read on Walkhighlands - ever 8)

Good luck with the mountain rescue - fantastic to give something back like that :clap:

PS You're not really a baw bag are you :lol:
morag1

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Great story of your journey Ron, it's not the end, just the beginning of the next chapter! It's due to likeminded people on Walkhighlands that I'm hooked on this hobby/obsession. It's taken me places and show me things I'd never have seen otherwise, and I wouldn't change it for anything. Take a bow sir :clap: 8)

Enjoy the webtogs vouchers :wink: :lol:
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Lenore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Well done Ron!!!! And an ace report as well! Had a big smile on my face reading that :D I'll never forget your hospitality when you put me up for a week and took me out to see and (attempt) to climb hills in some of the most spectacular areas in the Highlands. You are a champ and I am in awe of your accomplishment! Well done man, well done.
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

37 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland