walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The White Mounth Circuit - A Nice Round Number

The White Mounth Circuit - A Nice Round Number

Postby Backpacker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 27/07/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1228m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was going to be my last round for a few weeks as I think my feet have earned a rest and I need to get organised for the East Highland Way with a possible Speyside Way extension. I pretty much spent the early part of the week looking a different routes when I came across The White Mounth circuit, 5 Munro's over 18 miles, doddle. Aye right.

I tried to arrange a meet and see if anyone fancied it, I did have one taker but due to time constraints as I have/had plans for Sunday (I'll expand on this later), it didn't work out.

I reached the Glen Muick carpark about 0430 and decided to get an couple hours kip before setting off. Alarm was set and I dozed off in the drivers seat. Despite only being 0630 the midgies were out in force, I didn't even get to change into my boots before being attacked, wee buggers. I checked the car temp sensor and it was telling me it was 6C outside so I pulled on my fleece, it didn't even last a mile before it was whipped off and stuffed into my sack, along with my wind/waterproof jacket (waste of weight having them with me)

The plod up to the Bealach before Lochnagar was good going underfoot but horrible with the humidity, the sweat was pouring off me, vaseline was promptly added to my eyebrows and anywhere else the salt could get into my eyes, it's a crap look but does help a lot. pulled up to the bealach about 2 hours after I set off and wow, the scenery was absolutely stunning, I had a wee rest to take it all in. I looked at the route up towards Lochnagar and thought "****" "boulders", not to worry though, there's a cracking path which meanders the whole up, just like climbing your close stairs, about 200 times :lol:

The pull up to Lochnagar wasn't too bad and I kept telling myself, that's the worst of the day over with. About 45mins later I'm sat next to the Trig Point taking everything in again, stunning. I decided I was going to go and look at some aircraft wrecks. I'd noted the coordinates last night and slipped the paper inside my map, slight problem, no paper.

Lochnagar Trig Point by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Annoyed with myself I set off towards Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach. This was quite an easy wee jaunt over and very soon I was sat having a ciggie at the summit thanks to the shallow bealach and very little height lost.

Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach summit cairn with Lochnagar by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The walk over to Carn an t-Sagairt Mor was not as easy, I didn't realise the drop in height but to be honest I was at the crossroads very quickly where I bumped into a guy who has taken 3 months off work to some hiking and hillwalking, I just thought he was a jammy sod as I struggle to get 3 days off. We said "cheerio" and went our separate ways I headed up and low and behold, two cairns (I couldn't remember which one the WH route said was the summit) I touched both to be sure only to find that when I turned round the more southern one does sit slightly higher. I met a group of 4 ladies out for a wee jaunt bagging 2 up there who were only to happy (as was I) to sit and have a wee natter.

Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach summit cairn with Lochnagar by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Next up is Cairn Bannoch again this was a pretty simple pull up to the summit with some great views down the Glen. Only briefly spoke to a fell runner before I was on my way again towards Broad Cairn.

Cairn Bannoch summit cairn by GaryE1872, on Flickr

This summit truly is a great vantage point for having a good look, well everywhere. I sat and had a good rest before starting what turned out to be a long and torturous descent, 1st up is the boulder field and no nice easy going path, just pick your way down and hope that the boulder you're about to step on, doesn't move. Finally made it to where the path splits, Glen Doll, high level path or stalkers path, I opted for the latter as it looked in better shape, that didn't last long, it became very loose and rough the further I descended and my feet were having a right good moan and I mean a right good moan, eventually made down to the loch and over to join up with the higher level path. I pretty much limped the last 3-4 miles before finally arriving at the car, this is where I think I found the problem, the talc I put in my socks to help keep my feet dry(ish) had compacted and settled under my toes, no bloody wonder it hurt.

Broad Cairn summit cairn by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Loch Muick by GaryE1872, on Flickr

I got changed, jumped in the car and headed back down the road. This is where I had one very irate "plans for Sunday" she'd left me a voicemail, she'd sussed out that I only wanted to take her out tomorrow as today had the best day for the weather and that I hadn't told her I was disappearing off into the wilderness for 2 weeks, needless to say that one won't be going anywhere :lol:

Remaining Photo's can be found at the link below

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151790572916926.1073741835.545136925&type=1&l=174d152dea
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: The White Mounth Circuit - A Nice Round Number

Postby gmr82 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Haha I started the 4 from Drumochter around 20 mins before you, then three weeks later you start the the White Mounth Munros a couple of hours before me! I'll agree what a stunning day. I also took in the Corbett which was a really worthwhile quick detour to get nice views over to the corrie.

As for the plane wreckage, I completely forgot about this, but I bumped into a couple on Munro no3 who ascending a different way and pointed out to me their was a wing about 20 yards off the summit. Oh well it'll never be a chore having to go back up Lochnagar!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Backpacker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 pm

gmr82 wrote:Haha I started the 4 from Drumochter around 20 mins before you, then three weeks later you start the the White Mounth Munros a couple of hours before me! I'll agree what a stunning day. I also took in the Corbett which was a really worthwhile quick detour to get nice views over to the corrie.

As for the plane wreckage, I completely forgot about this, but I bumped into a couple on Munro no3 who ascending a different way and pointed out to me their was a wing about 20 yards off the summit. Oh well it'll never be a chore having to go back up Lochnagar!

I said that to a couple of boys at work, I'll just need to head back up some time. There's a couple of boys I walk with sometimes who haven't been up there, so that would seem a good time, though stuff doing broad cairn again :lol:

How'd you find the round?
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby gmr82 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 am

Backpacker wrote:How'd you find the round?

Longest walk yet, but as it was on good paths, rather than the bog of the Donalds I didn't find it too bad. Lochnagar was unsurprisingly the best. It was all a bit samey from then, though from the 5th Munro back it was lovely walking above, and then along Loch Muick :)
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby andyroog » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Some brilliant pics and one heck of a walk well done
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Backpacker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:18 pm

andyroog wrote:Some brilliant pics and one heck of a walk well done

Thanks, I really enjoyed it despite the ending.

I do enjoy the epic walks, I'm dreading having to start doing singles :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland