walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five Fab Fannichs for Mo's fiftieth. Try saying that fast.

Five Fab Fannichs for Mo's fiftieth. Try saying that fast.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Breac & A' Chailleach: Western Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Sgùrr Breac, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 27/07/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After 2 days getting soaked with one in a thunderstorm we were now heading out for our third days walking. The forecast was good up until 3pm when heavy rain was forecast. We decided to head up and do some of the Fannichs. It was our intention only to do the two westerly ones along with Sgurr nan Each but as it was such i good day i asked Jimmy and Mo if they wanted to return over Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Meall a' Chrasgaidh, two i had previously climbed but unclimbed by them. They didn't think about it for long before giving their answer.
This would be my present to Mo for her fiftyith. We started the walk at 8.30 with the worst Midge attack we've ever experienced which got us moving off swiftly. We took the track towards Loch a' Bhraoin then a footbridge over the river continueing to a small marker cairn where we left the path to head up Leitir Fhearna, a steep wee climb followed by a 2km level ridge walk. The path takes you round the side of Toman Coinnich rather than going over it. You do walk along the steep slopes so going over TC may be a better option for some, think i'd rather have went over it. When we reached the bealach it was a short climb to A' Chailleach. We returned to the bealach and made our way to Sgurr Breac before making our way down the ridge and up the steep climb to the bealach between SNCG and SNE. Got to the summit of SNE had lunch then set off for SNCG. The cloud was now coming in but no rain as of yet and didn't see much from SNCG so kept going to Meall a' Chrasgaidh. It was here the rain came and stayed on for the remainder of the walk. We descended down the north west ridge and the path back to the start.
https://plus.google.com/photos/110051255472035874897/albums/5908000308616166273
Last edited by Johnny Corbett on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Five Fab Fannichs for Mo's fiftieth. Try saying that fas

Postby mrssanta » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:01 pm

your pics look great. it's a long time since we have been that far north.
was it mo's 50th birthday? happy birthday Mo! I just been in Mamores for my fiftieth but not done the report yet.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby simon-b » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:43 pm

A good route, combining these five, Johnny. It looks like you got some good weather on the first part of the walk. When I was in the NW in June, I saved the weather windows for the Fisherfields and An Teallach. That meant some misty, windy and wet days on the Fannichs.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:54 pm

Smashing report JC :clap: :clap:

Midge attack aside , it looked like a braw day 8) 8)

Congratulations Mo !!!!

1963 was obviously a vintage year for hillwalkers! :lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:53 pm

mrssanta wrote:your pics look great. it's a long time since we have been that far north.
was it mo's 50th birthday? happy birthday Mo! I just been in Mamores for my fiftieth but not done the report yet.
Thanks Mrss, yeah it was her birthday :D
simon-b wrote:A good route, combining these five, Johnny. It looks like you got some good weather on the first part of the walk. When I was in the NW in June, I saved the weather windows for the Fisherfields and An Teallach. That meant some misty, windy and wet days on the Fannichs.
Cheers Simon, yes weather was good up until we hit the last two. I was lucky on An Teallach as well with the weather though if anything it was too hot :crazy:
simon-b wrote:A good route, combining these five, Johnny. It looks like you got some good weather on the first part of the walk. When I was in the NW in June, I saved the weather windows for the Fisherfields and An Teallach. That meant some misty, windy and wet days on the Fannichs.
Thanks Polly, Mo was well chuffed with my present, 2 bonus Munros. :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Grand pics :clap: :clap: .... yet to do anything that area passed plenty but that was before I started ticking :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 pm

I could see you from Little Wyvis that day.. Bet Mo was dead chuffed with that birthday present ya tight east coaster :D Happy Birthday Mo x
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Grand pics :clap: :clap: .... yet to do anything that area passed plenty but that was before I started ticking :lol:
It's a lovely area so get up there and start ticking. The Fannichs can be busy though. :wink:
mountain thyme wrote:I could see you from Little Wyvis that day.. Bet Mo was dead chuffed with that birthday present ya tight east coaster :D Happy Birthday Mo x
The best birthday present Mo has ever had. :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland