walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little and Large

Little and Large

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 27/08/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1373m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was kindly invited by Rocket Ron to his final munro and compleation party on 27th July 2013. Speaking with Monty and Ron in the pub the night before, and as Monty is Corbett bagging, he was keen to add in Little Wyvis to the Large Wyvis :wink:
P1030212.JPG
Along the track

Started at the car park for Ben Wyvis. The car park was busy at 950am with lots of walkers gathering for Rons final munro. Said a few hellos and set off at 955am. We crossed the bridge and followed the good track heading towards Ben Wyvis.
P1030214.JPG
Ben Wyvis

P1030213.JPG
view to Little Wyvis

At the end of the forest we crossed the Allt a' Bhealaich and headed south east up towards Little Wyvis. We picked up a faint path at the edge of the forest. I found this pretty tough due to : it was a scorching day, had a few voddies the night before and was walking with an ex army man! What was I thinking! We picked up the good track to the west of Tom na Caillich and followed this for just under 1km and then headed east onto the ridge and south to the summit of Little Wyvis. We reached the summit in 1.5 hours which was good going. The SMC book states 2hours 10minutes
P1030216.JPG
Summit of Little Wyvis

P1030217.JPG
The Fannichs

From here there were stunning views of Ben Wyvis and the Fannichs.
P1030218.JPG
Ben Wyvis

Stopped for a quick summit picture and headed northeast towards Tom na Caillich and then east downwards through lots of peaty bogs and northeast up towards the 817 summit.

From here we were covered and chased by what I thought was clegs.... but Monty called salt flies. I've never experienced these as bad before.

We headed north and then northwest to pick up the ridge of Ben Wyvis. We continued north to reach the summit in 2hours and 10 minutes... where all the gang were gathered. Think Monty was last to reach the Munro :D
P1030219.JPG
The Rocket

P1030220.JPG
Group Picture

Had a few refreshments at the summit. Nice to meet everyone...some old and new faces... Well done Ron :clap:
P1030225.JPG
Looking over to Little Wyvis

We headed south along the ridge of Ben Wyvis to pick up the great path back down to the carpark .....and to continue the celebrations that evening :)
P1030226.JPG
Heading back down
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Little and Large

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 pm

mountain thyme wrote: had a few voddies the night before

Only a few. Was nice to meet you theresa. Thanks for coming up :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:33 pm

nice one MT - looks like you all had a great time :thumbup:

mountain thyme wrote:We reached the summit in 1.5 hours which was good going. The SMC book states 2hours 10minutes
not much has changed here then eh ? :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 am

Great stuff MT, I wanted to bag this one before we left Scotland....your pics just make me wish I'd made more of an effort to do so :roll: Sounds like a tough ascent, particularly after few voddies the night before :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mgmt! » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 am

Well done mt, was surprised you re visited a Munro though ? Sounds like you needed a curer !!
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:43 am

The selfishness of the Corbett bagger...surely you guys should have enjoyed the walk to Big Wyvis first then went along to do Little Wyvis :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Briillant to meet you at long last Theresa :thumbup: :thumbup

It was a fantastic day from start to finish, although maybe we could have done without seeing our dodgy dance moves in Scoob's video!!! :lol: :lol:

Many of your moves were appreciated by some of the young men in the room :wink: :wink:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm

My local Corbett... Did the little one in winter conditions a few seasons back, tested my brand new crampons on the ascent :lol: The Wee Wyvis is usually overlooked and neglected by hillwalkers, which is a shame. Glad you enjoyed it :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 pm

rocket-ron wrote:
mountain thyme wrote: had a few voddies the night before

Only a few. Was nice to meet you theresa. Thanks for coming up :D

Yeah... a few doubles :wink:

rockhopper wrote:
mountain thyme wrote:We reached the summit in 1.5 hours which was good going. The SMC book states 2hours 10minutes
not much has changed here then eh ? :wink: - cheers :)
:D

Is that you saying im always fast RH ??

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff MT, I wanted to bag this one before we left Scotland....your pics just make me wish I'd made more of an effort to do so :roll: Sounds like a tough ascent, particularly after few voddies the night before :lol:

Thanks Chris.... it was a tough wee hill from Ben Wyvis side and Monty was setting the pace :(

mgmt! wrote:Well done mt, was surprised you re visited a Munro though ? Sounds like you needed a curer !!

Thanks mgmt.... It WAS my first repeat munro..... but I knew someone else who didn't like to do repeats... :wink: Think you only done 3 with me :)

dooterbang wrote:The selfishness of the Corbett bagger...surely you guys should have enjoyed the walk to Big Wyvis first then went along to do Little Wyvis :wink:

Haha.... no we started a bit earlier and took in Little Wyvis first.....We arrived on the summit at the same time as the Munro baggers did.... Couldnt of finished on Little Wyvis as we had a Party to get to :D

pollyh33 wrote:Briillant to meet you at long last Theresa :thumbup: :thumbup

It was a fantastic day from start to finish, although maybe we could have done without seeing our dodgy dance moves in Scoob's video!!! :lol: :lol:

Many of your moves were appreciated by some of the young men in the room :wink: :wink:

It was lovely to meet you Polly. I don't know about folk appreciating my moves .... I was cringing watching Scoobs video and did so with one eye open :(

BlackPanther wrote:My local Corbett... Did the little one in winter conditions a few seasons back, tested my brand new crampons on the ascent :lol: The Wee Wyvis is usually overlooked and neglected by hillwalkers, which is a shame. Glad you enjoyed it :D

Thanks BP. It is a cracking wee Corbett with stunning views on a good day :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby Jimmy Craghopper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:43 am

well done terresa nice too see yourb tally adding up nearly catching johnny :lol:
Jimmy Craghopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:40
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice one. It wasn't Clegs, it was Montys hands. :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Jimmy Craghopper wrote:well done terresa nice too see yourb tally adding up nearly catching johnny :lol:

Cheers Jimmy and Mo. ]ohnny noticed that ...so hes away this week to catch up :?

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one. It wasn't Clegs, it was Montys hands. :lol:

Aye around my neck ....as I was that slow :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby jonny616 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Mark M wants to know is this what you and Monty are calling yourselves, but I said no that would be rude......to Monty! :crazy: :lol: 8)

Great to meet you. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm

jonny616 wrote:Mark M wants to know is this what you and Monty are calling yourselves, but I said no that would be rude......to Monty! :crazy: :lol: 8)

Great to meet you. 8)

Nice to meet you too Jonny :)
mountain thyme
Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland