walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg (Fannichs) .... Trying the "Girl Power" Approach

Beinn Dearg (Fannichs) .... Trying the "Girl Power" Approach

Postby Fcfraser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Date walked: 04/08/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 25 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I planned to do three Munros.... being Beinn Dearg, Meall nan Ceapraichean and Eididh nan Clach Geala.
I did my "homework" filled my boots with navigational confidence.... set my alarm clock.... and off I went!!

Parked up in the "new" car park and once booted and suited, set off....

I always find a forest strart the biggest nav. challenge.... however, found my way up and out of tthe forest with ease. The strategically place signs "Beinn Dearg" discounted any doubt in my head!!
IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

Lovely walk up the Glen, plenty waterfalls to stop and wonder at.... as did Tollaidh, who is becoming quite the "Poser" every time she sees the camera!!... Only a Girl!!
IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG
How Pretty am I Mum?

I was most intrigued by the line of "white" on the cliff face... it almost looked like Porta cabins on the side of the hill, however when I got the binnoculars out, it was indeed,a line of quartzite, glistening in the morning sunshine.
IMG_0698.JPG

At this point, I stopped for a snack, before continuing up the hill. At this point, Tollaidh decided she needed 40 winks! (light weight.... only 9 months old, so I will forgive her)
IMG_0699.JPG

I was startled by the approach of a guy, who initially frightened Miss T out of her wits as she enjoyed her wee slumber!! As one does on the hill, we got chatting, and Lewis from Somerset (a munro completist) was happy to walk with me, he initially had no intention of doing Beinn Dearg, however, deided, for whatever reason, (may have been the pink nail varnish .... "vulnerable woman".... or just my flirtatious charm ... hands up! that will be me!!)
IMG_0704.JPG
No 87!

IMG_0708.JPG

Well, I set out to do these on my own, with no help.... however, 1. I was happy to have company and 2. My usual insecurities had set in! So whether it be Vulnerable or flirtatious..... safety is paramount! and I am sticking to that theory!!

So Lewis, my Nuclear Scientist.... well you dont meet one of them every day do you!! was happy to be my Guide for the day! By the time we summited Beinn Dearg, we picked up Peter! and enjoyed his company for a while until he went off to do Cona Mheall.

I was amazed at the drystane dyke up there.... a real work of art.
IMG_0713.JPG
May have to zoom in to see the wall

IMG_0715.JPG

Off down we went, finding the path, that we clearly missed on our ascent! no real navigational challenge.... even for a "wifie!"

Beautiful views of all around, Stac Pollaidh in the far distance, An Teallach was being a little moody, hiding a lot in cloud, but popping out now and again, usually when the camera was tidied away!
IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

It didnt take long to get up onto Meall nan Ceapraichean, and then a little tricky leg work down through the boulders to begin the ascent up Eididh nan Clach Geala. There are two cairn up on top.... the first one is the highest... confirmed by my GPS download later!

So down we went, carefully picking our way down.... to rejoin the Stalkers Path back to the car.
I had complained enough about coming back to my Caravan and the cold shower block, that poor Lewis was feeling suitable sorry for me, and invited me back to his holiday cottage for a bath..... I declined. :wink:

So my day of navigating all day, with my wits about me.... Fail!.... but a lovely day on the hill, with lovely Company. Solitary navigation can wait for another day! :wink:
IMG_0726.JPG
A sneaky capture of An Teallach.... en route back to base!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Beinn Dearg (Fannichs) .... Trying the "Girl Power" Appr

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Enjoyed reading that - one of my favourite trips so far and you certainly had an interesting time. The Beinn Dearg wall is certainly striking - known as the famine or destitution wall, built by local crofters in the 1840s in return for food (from the lowlanders) as they were starving due to the poor harvest resulting in a potato famine - part of the road to Dundonnell is similarly the destitution road (ah, the things I learn from walk reports and Collaciotach) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fcfraser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for that Rockhopper! I love to hear local history stories!, the workmanship is incredible, a real work of Art. I thought I had taken a better photo than that, but camera seems to be playing up!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Postby andyroog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:27 am

Good walk,good weather,good company,good pics=great day well done nice report.
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Declined a bath...hardy woman ! :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby simon-b » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Great walk, FC, some nice mountains there. The most demanding bit of navigation, perhaps, is getting from M.n.C. to E.n.C.G. and back to the path. Well done on a mission well accomplished. I bet Tollaidh enjoyed the lochans on that route.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Very enjoyable read, thanks for that & some excellent photo's too :clap: :clap:

Fannichs are on my list for next year :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:14 pm

A good read. Glad to see the weather cleared.

Went round Cona Mheall - Ben Dearg a few years ago but Ben Dearg had cloud on the top so didn't see the view north until I descended a bit but well worth the effort.

We think your dog is very photogenic!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland