walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seven Fannichs from Loch Fannich

Seven Fannichs from Loch Fannich

Postby ChrisAndrews » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 am

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 05/08/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 2128m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fannichs.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

7 hills sounded a lot for my knees, but with them being newly refurbished and in need of a test I decided to have a crack at the sourthern Fannichs. I’d been tossing up the idea of a lazy start with a high level bivvy on this ridge for months, but having checked MWIS whilst sat in the car after a particularly soggy Sunday on Morousig (the wonders of mobile internet!), the thought of temperatures dropping as low as 5 degrees quickly put a stop to that. Instead I would cycle up to Loch Fannich dam and camp. Not being a natural cyclist I was delighted to find the 9km or so of road to the dam being of a tarmac nature (I despise cycling on rough tracks ever since a sore bottomed ride into the bothy at Senna Braigh) and nowhere required the pushing of the bike which is a rarity for me.

DSC_0109.JPG
Campsite

DSC_0110.JPG
Sunrise

Mercifully a breeze kept all the midges away and knowing I was going to have to take it easy opted for an early night and even earlier rise. The bonus of the 5.30am start was a great sunrise, the downside was a sleepy brain and after reaching the start proper 2km later I realised I’d left the map in the tent; so much for an early start and energy conservation! I was back at the bridge over the Altan Glas an 40mins later with the bike to tow (why didn’t I bring it first time!?) and ready to climb proper.

I followed the burn up initially (there are no paths here), but being aware it is shooting season moved across to the broad south ridge of An Coileachan before entering the corrie proper. In a little over an hour up nicely angled ground the biggest climb of the day was behind me and the first summit, and fabulous views were encountered. Beyond this it is a wonderful high level promenade on gentle slopes over Meall Gorm all the way to the foot of Sgur Mor.

DSC_0111.JPG
The route ahead to Meall Gorm, Sgurr Mor and Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich

DSC_0117.JPG
Shelter

There is a very useful freshwater spring just below the stalkers path as it turns around Sgur Mor in the direction Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich, one of the few sources of good water I found on the ridge. Knowing I would need to return from the outlier hill I left my bag by the peculiar stone shelter.

DSC_0118.JPG
An Teallach from Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich

From the summit of Sgur Mor (4th of the day) the sea can be seen to the east and west, perhaps one of the few mountains on this island where this is possible. The descent from here was a test of the knees, but the good views to An Teallach kept my mind on future conquests.

DSC_0119.JPG
Looking toward the descent route along Sgurr nan Each ridge from Sgurr Mor

DSC_0122.JPG
Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr nan Each

DSC_0134.JPG
Looking south over Coire Mor

From here the route is straight forward; the last three hills and the way back make a straight north-south traverse, continuing over Sgurr a’Chadha Dheirg.

DSC_0135.JPG
The sweeping ridge of Sgurr nan Clach Geala

DSC_0136.JPG
Seventh and final summit of the day, Sgurr nan Each, a welcome sight!

DSC_0137.JPG
A view back north up Coire Mor over some of the days work

The peat hags on Torran Ruadh offer a sore test late in the day, and are probably best turned on their right, but having taken every other peak on the walk (munro or not) it seemed rude to miss it out by dropping west to the estate track to soon. An easy walk off its nose led to the estate track where it emerges from a plantation, and a 4km stroll back past the impressive Fannich Lodge brought me back to the bridge over the Altan Glas.

DSC_0144.JPG
North-West end of the ridge from the estate track along Loch Fannich. Easy going from here thankfully!

I’m a bit surprised I don’t see more made of this as a possible route for doing the seven southern Fannichs. It takes in all seven hills in a long (9hrs; 2200m ascent; 28km) but relatively easy round (considering the ascent and distance), which is a fantastic high level promenade with wonderful views (particularly to the NW) keeping An Teallach and Slioch for company most of the day. I fully recommend the virtues of this route walking the Fannichs.
ChrisAndrews
Rambler

Munros:231   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:19   

Re: Seven Fannichs from Loch Fannich

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:26 pm

You've sold it to me, Chris.

Thanks for sharing.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm

this is the way I'd plan to do them, with a tent and a bike for the tarmac road. :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Silverhill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Sounds good Chris! My kind of trip! :thumbup:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Aye sounds like a plan ..... :clap:

Grand pics and report
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby riverlodge » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:34 pm

good report, good plan and lovely pics.
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:36 pm

I always had plans to some of the Fannichs from the south but always went to the north. Still got two to do and will probably do them from the north also but if i return on a second round i'll certainly do them from the south. Cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby andyroog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Luv the idea of doing this one glad your knees held up may have to grab your gpx cracking report well done
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Interesting approach, Chris - hard going but rewarding. Splitting them into a 4 and a 5 was enough for me - hadn't thought about a 7 - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisAndrews » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 am

andyroog wrote:Luv the idea of doing this one glad your knees held up may have to grab your gpx cracking report well done

That's why its there! :D I should add i drew this by hand rather than being recorded by the GPS, and just looking back over it its wrong in one place. The ascent.descent of Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich is best achieved by following the stalkers path around the north face until due north of the summit, then heading straight up (short and steep). This way avoids the worst of the boulders and a small crag, especially in unclear weather.
ChrisAndrews
Rambler

Munros:231   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:19   

Postby John Knox » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:20 pm

Thank you Chris for suggesting this round of the Fannichs. I followed your route on 15th June 2021. The day before I cycled up the estate road and camped at Fannich Lodge. I found the camping there pretty poor..no real site, lots of wet ground and lots of midgies of course. But I had a grand day on the hills themselves. They all just tumble under your feet once you are up on the ridge and there are great views. Started at 5pm from camp, back on the lochside at 5pm with a couple of miles to walk back to my tent. The most difficult part is getting down off Sgurr nan Each at the tired end of the day, long grassy slope and peat hags.

John Knox, Edinburgh.
John Knox
Mountain Walker

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland