walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Montys Back....Bagging Corbetts

Montys Back....Bagging Corbetts

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 26/07/2013

Time taken: 4.45 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 900m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I first spied these 3 corbetts on the way back from Sutherland in May this year and thought they looked stunning.
So I was delighted when I had the opportunity to bag them the day before joining Ron on his final munro. Monty was keen to bag them... since hes left Walkhighlands to concentrate on some serious Corbett bagging :wink:

We parked at the large parking area on the A894. From here the views to Quinag were stunning.
P1030185.JPG
Quinag from the carpark

We crossed the road and took the path and headed north west up the broad ridge towards Spidean Coinich.
P1030187.JPG
Towards Sail Garbh

P1030188.JPG
Suilven

Its a steady climb to the summit with much of the path being covered with rock and boulders (which I hate) .
P1030186.JPG
Towards Spidean Coinich

We reached the summit in 1hour 20mins(SMC stated 1 hour 50mins) where we met a bunch of folk. We stopped to admire the views, which turned out to be the only views that day.... and refuelled.
P1030190.JPG
Summit of Spidean Coinich

P1030191.JPG
From Spidean Coinich towards Sail Garbh

We then headed north down torwards the Bealach a' Chornaidh and up towards the 745 top.
P1030193.JPG
Looking back at Spidean Coinich

P1030197.JPG
The ridge towards Sail Ghorm

From here we continued north and then north east up towards Sail Gorm where we met two English men and a dog
P1030200.JPG
Corbett number 2 Sail GHorm

Stopped for a quick summit picture. We reached the summit in 50 minutes. The rain started here and there were no views to be seen at all :(
P1030204.JPG
Corbett number 3 . Sail Garbh

We returned south the way we came and skirted around the 745 spot to head north east towards the summit of Sail Gharbh our 3rd Corbett of the day, reaching it in 40 minutes.
Again poor visibility and no views. We stopped for lunch and a quick picture as it was starting to get cold and wet.

The 2 English men appeared at the 3rd summit, which they had already climbed.... lost and without a map or compass ( a bit like Rocket Ron :wink: ) We headed south and then south west down a faint path towards the Lochan Bealach Cornaidh, taking our time while the English chaps followed us.
Back to the parking spot in 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Back to Inverness to have a few well deserved refreshments
IMG_0307.JPG
The Jakeys

IMG_0313.JPG
Gellions

IMG_0315.JPG
Monty
Attachments
P1030186.JPG
Heading To Spidean Coinich

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain thyme on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 10 times in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Montys Back....Bagging Corbetts

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Good stuff MT - nice to see you keeping your walking partners on their toes. Great area - spent many a family holiday in Drumbeg, Nedd and Stoer (decades ago) but yet to venture up Quinag - hope to some day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:23 am

MT I better watch myself for the forum hill police. Since you mentioned I go out walking with out map and compass :lol:
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby mgmt! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 am

Well done mt, hope those guys tipped you well for guiding them over these three corbetts. Didn't no monty was away but welcome back monty, been looking at scrambling route up this one whenever I can get up there
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:29 am

Pretty speedy! I did part of the same in June but no-one commented on my report so it must have been rubbish :( so I unashamedly re-bump for interest: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32587

For me Quinag offers quintessentially what hillwalking is all about -dramatic drops, green grass against blue sky, narrowish ridges all backed by the sea and. dare I say, a leg up at 250m. Wonderful.

And for good measure here's the video clip which I thought was quite good even if I say so myself:
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:27 pm

rockhopper wrote:Good stuff MT - nice to see you keeping your walking partners on their toes. Great area - spent many a family holiday in Drumbeg, Nedd and Stoer (decades ago) but yet to venture up Quinag - hope to some day - cheers :)

Cheers RH .. it is a beautiful area... pity we didn't get the views :(

rocket-ron wrote:MT I better watch myself for the forum hill police. Since you mentioned I go out walking with out map and compass :lol:

True true.... lucky you had Monty and I to guide you :?

mgmt! wrote:Well done mt, hope those guys tipped you well for guiding them over these three corbetts. Didn't no monty was away but welcome back monty, been looking at scrambling route up this one whenever I can get up there

Cheers..... You never tipped me when I guided you :wink: There looked a good scrambling/ climbing route on Spidean Coinich on the descent to Sail Garbh :)

litljortindan wrote:Pretty speedy! I did part of the same in June but no-one commented on my report so it must have been rubbish :( so I unashamedly re-bump for interest: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32587

For me Quinag offers quintessentially what hillwalking is all about -dramatic drops, green grass against blue sky, narrowish ridges all backed by the sea and. dare I say, a leg up at 250m. Wonderful.

And for good measure here's the video clip which I thought was quite good even if I say so myself:

Cheers litljortindan....Quinag is beautiful....Ill have a wee look at your report :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby Jimmy Craghopper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm

well done terresa back too being expedition leader again, Glad your leading from the front and not 2 miles behind. :clap:
Jimmy Craghopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:40
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Great stuff MT, you weren't hanging about on any of these were you :shock: Nice to see the 'aftermath' down the boozer too :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Jimmy Craghopper wrote:well done terresa back too being expedition leader again, Glad your leading from the front and not 2 miles behind. :clap:

I only lead from the back when out with you lot... to give you oldies a wee chance :wink:

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff MT, you weren't hanging about on any of these were you :shock: Nice to see the 'aftermath' down the boozer too :lol:

Cheers Chris... no views to hang about on :D
mountain thyme
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland