walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin a fine day out.

Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin a fine day out.

Postby gaffr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:53 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 30/04/2005

Distance: 22 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

7 scan0009.jpg
At last the Sgorr Dubh of Baosbheinn.
A day out from the past on these fine hills. In the days before we had the digital image making machine so these poor-ish views were scanned from the diapositives however they are the only record that we have of this day.
The walk was started at the wee hut beside Am Feur Loch. We cut onto the start of the long ridge leading to Eoin prior to reaching Loch na h-Oidhche.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1 scan0006 summit area of Eoin.(640x355).jpg
From the summit area of Beinn an Eoin.

Eoin and is Baosbheinn, and as we were later to find out when on Beinn a' Chearcaill, are fine viewing platforms for many of the bigger Torridon hills.
3 scan0005 Poca Buidhe bothy (640x408).jpg
A fairly direct line was taken down to reach Poca Buidhe bothy which I've heard has some sort of ghost reputation....we were just passing through.
4 scan0001 bothy rubbish pit  Beinn Dearg and Alligan behind (640x435).jpg
The bothy rubbish pit with Beinn Dearg and Alligin
5 scan0007 getting onto Cean Beag (640x387).jpg
Out towards Cean Beag a subsidiary top of Baosbheinn.
6 scan0008 Alligin (640x395).jpg
On the way to the main top with Alligin behind.
6a Beinn Eighe in the distance with a bit of Cean Beag and Eoin scan0004 (486x640).jpg
Beinn Eighe in the distance with a bit of Cean Beag and Beinn an Eoin.
7 scan0009.jpg
At last the Sgorr Dubh of Baosbheinn.

From here down to a big saddle, descend NE, and then out across the moor to rejoin the path leading back to the A832 road.
Last edited by gaffr on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin a fine day out.

Postby bootsandpaddles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:22 am

Clearing out the archives??
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 am

Great stuff. It is actually nice to see some olde worlde scanned images or maybe I just think that because I swapped to a digital camera quite late on in history (2007). Scanning the new sepia...

I was invited to stay in Poca Buidhe as an unofficial guest in 1993 and went to Ben Dearg from there and also did part of Baoshbhein. No ghosts to report. Had a demanding winter day on Ben an Eoin in 1999 or 2000 complete with blizzards. Got back to the car and promptly fell over from exhaustion. How feeble! And I was a mere thirty something then.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby gaffr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 am

B and P's. 'clearing out the archives'.... :) kind-of regaining some of the images in the archives. :) About a year ago the PC was blown apart by a lightning strike which left the 'tower thing' totally busted. :( I recently located a CD with some of the Corbetts therein.....don't worry not too much else that would make up even a bit of a day's journey. :)

To the gentleman with great knowledge of the Lofoten (sp?) islands who seems to have made several trips into the 'sanctuary'. :D I must say that I have only been once in here although recently we came close to it on the South side of Eoin. For me, the digital image making came during part of 2006 when I borrowed a camera for a bit, and then into 2007 I got a small one and have had this since then.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland