walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain

Beinn Dorain

Postby smalltounboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 21/07/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 938m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Apologies as this is a work in progress, I pressed 'submit' instead of 'save draft'

Beinn Dorain

With one free day every two weeks I need to plan my day carefully, my previous trip up north to climb 'The Ben' had saw me return via the spectacular West Highland line, my original plan was to sleep on the train home however the scenery proved this to be impossible and I spent the whole trip gazing out of the window in awe.

The train had not long left Bridge of Orchy station and was trundling south when the awesome conical Beinn Dorain came into full view to gasps from my fellow passengers, I knew then that this would be my next Munro.

1074638_10151799372669880_938918480_o.jpg
Beinn Dorain from the train

As soon as I got home to Ardrossan I immediately referred to 'Walkhighlands' and looked up previous walk reports, deciding that if I was going to tackle it that it would be via public transport and not by a tortuous car journey, my day off is usually a Sunday, so that ruled out the train, citylink provide a pretty good (and cheap) service, so using the 'Traveline Scotland' app on my phone I was able to plan my connections and arrive at the Bridge of Orchy hotel by 11am.

Orchy hotel.jpg
Bridge of Orchy Hotel

With a 7 hour window until my return bus was due I felt I had plenty of time to climb both Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh so set of towards the bealach

101_2018_690.jpg
The path to the bealach

It was a tremendously hot day so I packed extra water and brought a few packets of salted nuts which I found to really help control my hydration, I reached the bealach cairn in exactly an hour, the slight cooling breeze was more than welcome, after a wee drink and a check of the map I set off towards Beinn Dorain

101_2024_690.jpg
Bealach Cairn

After leaving the Bealach elevation was quickly gained and the views started opening up

101_2093_800.jpg
Lochan with 'The Ben' in the background

Having only started climbing munros at the beginning of the year I've been amazed at my new found geographical knowledge and the ability to identify distant hills (Tip: if in doubt, always say Schiehallion)

101_2031_800.jpg
The Ben and Carn Mor Dearg

I've been trying to use public transport as much as possible as the thought of a 150 mile drive home while knackered just doesn't bear thinking about, especially as I can have a wee pint just after coming off the hill (then have a sleep on the bus/train), this involves careful planning and a knowledge of the various bus routes and their vicinity to the hills I want to climb, hopefully Ben Cruachan will be my next munro and is well placed served by the Glasgow to Oban citylink service

101_2046_800.jpg
Ben Cruachan

RK_gpx _2013-07-21_1115.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

More photos to be added shortly
Last edited by smalltounboy on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Re: Beinn Dorain

Postby Backpacker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Glad you managed this, how was it on the Sunday heat wise? I hope you didn't use my times as a benchmark for doing it :lol: :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby smalltounboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 pm

The heat was quite bad until I reached the bealach where there was a cooling breeze, decided against Beinn an Dothaidh as I wanted to spend some time on Beinn Dorain and for a wee pint or two at the hotel before catching my bus back........cracking visibility though
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Postby fm2911 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 am

Hi there
Was lovely to meet you last Sunday. Hope you have many more days like that in the hills - you passed us on our way to Beinn an Daothaidh and met up again outside the hotel on our way back to car.
Best wishes
Fiona
fm2911
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:32

Postby smalltounboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Fiona,
Nice to meet you too, hopefully catch a few more clear days like that this year, it's been a great year for hill walking.......so far

Regards
Mark
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland