walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Achnashellach triple

Achnashellach triple

Postby thand » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh, Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 06/07/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So EJ is well into his completion count down now which means as a relatively inexperienced walker I'm getting to do some weird and wonderful hills (I long for a mid morning start in the Cairngorms).

Early start and I pick up Johnny before heading racing on Fochabers to pick Jennifer up at 6.

We meet EJ in the car park and are soon heading off. Considering the forecast the sky looks good and Jennifer even gets the suntan lotion out. 8)
P1010809(2).JPG
Looking good
P1010810(2).JPG
Quite a walk in

Its along walk in through the glen but pleasant in the morning sun. After crossing the river and heading SW we're soon gaining height, when suddenly we're up on the bealach and hit by the wind...so MWIS wasn't lying about the 60mph "gusts" and by gusts I mean its constant.
P1010812(2).JPG
Are we climbing yet?
P1010817(2).JPG
Getting there

Feels like bracing against the wind at every step as the path zig zags up to Sgurr Choinnich and at one point my glasses get blown off my face. Ski goggles on to stop that happening again - hope we don't bump into anyone.
P1010819(2).JPG
A little breezy on top
P1010820(2).JPG
Views are pretty good

We finally make it to the summit and it is blowy so we quickly drop down to the next bealach, in almost no time we're on Sgurr a Chaorachain.
P1010821(2).JPG
Still a long way to go
P1010825(2).JPG
what a place

After sheltering from the wind at the cairn we head NE down the shoulder to the bealach with Maoile Lunndaidh. Recuperating in the shelter with sandwiches its decision time...number 3 or head home. Well it is sheltered and a long walk for one hill on its own so we decide to go for it.

The pull is steep but we soon make the plateau and we're hitting the wind again. Forgot about that! Next thing we know the long awaited "showers" start. By shower I mean full on prolonged horizontal rain, and its too windy to get on waterproof trousers!!

Well the plateau is large and open so we had a lot of fun finding the cairn in poor visibility (camera is well away at this point) before quickly making a break NW for the glen...the wind will be easier down there surely?

I have never been as wet by the time we fll into the walker's shelter at Glenuaig...thank you to whoever looks after that! After wringing out our socks we make a break for it and march the long walk out along the landrover track back to the cars.

Well at least we've got the bunkhouse to look forward too :shock:
P1010827(2).JPG
Weird behaviour at Gerry's bunkhouse
Last edited by thand on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Achnashellach triple

Postby jenniferc6 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 pm

great report Tom, it was a bit of a soggy day! At least we could enjoy the complementary Fairy washing up liquid handwash/shower gel/shampoo and modern décor at Gerry's afterwards!
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:183
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Re: Achnashellach triple

Postby thand » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Hopefully it didn't bring back to many unwanted memories :shock:
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland