walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Waun Rydd via Allt Lwyd, Y Gyrn

Waun Rydd via Allt Lwyd, Y Gyrn

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Waun Rydd

Date walked: 10/08/2013

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 17.25 km

Ascent: 925m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A good summer's day in the Beacons, firstly taking the eastern approach to Waun Rydd from the Talybont Reservoir via the outliers Allt Lwyd and Bryn. Lovely grassy ridges down from and, especially, steeply up to the summit plateau which, broad and marshy, maybe doesn't have quite the same charm - bar the spectacular beehive cairn Carn Pica. Long views over the Black Mountains throughout though and also, once over Waun Rydd, of Pen y Fan and its neighbours; an outline that will take some tiring of seeing. An uneventful and quite long way back, largely through farmland, but generally a good and easy-going route.

allt lwyd.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Allt Lwyd 009.jpg
Talybont Reservoir

Allt Lwyd 010.jpg
Waun Rydd

Allt Lwyd 011.jpg
Tor y Foel from ascent to Allt Lwyd

Allt Lwyd 028.jpg
Allt Lwyd

Allt Lwyd 029.jpg
Twyn Du & Nant Tarthwynni valley

Allt Lwyd 033.jpg
Carn Pica

Allt Lwyd 038.jpg
Black Mountains from Waun Rydd summit

Allt Lwyd 039.jpg
The high Beacons: Bwlch y Ddywallt, Fan y Big, Cribin, Pen y Fan, Corn Du

Allt Lwyd 043.jpg
Cwm Cwareli

Allt Lwyd 044.jpg
Bwlch y Ddywallt

Allt Lwyd 055.jpg
Bryn summit

Allt Lwyd 056.jpg
Waun Rydd from Bryn

Allt Lwyd 057.jpg
High Beacons

Allt Lwyd 058.jpg
Northern flatlands from Bryn

Allt Lwyd 070.jpg
Back up the initial ascent route, Waun Rydd on skyline

Just a little time left to pick up the loose Nuttall of Y Gyrn, sitting unconsidered on the edge of the high Beacons. This is only a little round lump not far above the busy carpark, but it's a pleasant enough few minutes up the paved path heading onto Pen y Fan and then through rough grass following the high ground to the summit. Nice views, especially of Fan Fawr looking quite genuinely 'mountainous' from this side, even if this definitely isn't the best side of the main summits: the routemarch tramp up the rest of the path among the crowds didn't look too enticing an alternative to the terrific south and north approaches...

y gyrn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Allt Lwyd 072.jpg
Fan Fawr over the Storey Arms cars

Allt Lwyd 073.jpg
Beacons Reservoir

Allt Lwyd 076.jpg
Pen y Fan & Corn Du

Allt Lwyd 085.jpg
Fforest Fawr hills

Allt Lwyd 087.jpg
Fan Fawr

Allt Lwyd 089.jpg
Y Gyrn from the roadside
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Waun Rydd via Allt Lwyd, Y Gyrn

Postby AJNicholls » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 am

Always interesting to see some reports on the non-Hewitt Nuttalls. I'd be more likely to include them in my rounds if they were on WalkHighlands, which implies that WH has a bit too much control over my route-planning!

Seems like you had better weather there than I did in the Lakes today as well.

That's an impressive cairn on Carn Pica. Some better-known hills (Pavey Ark, I'm thinking of you) could learn a few things from that.

Thanks for the TR. :thumbup:
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Waun Rydd via Allt Lwyd, Y Gyrn

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:21 am

Great report P, you certainly picked a good day for it. This is one that's right up my street :wink: I thought that row of cars were all from folks up your second hill :crazy: I half expected to see an enormous group shot at the summit :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland