walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgulaird

Beinn Sgulaird

Postby Silverhill » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 02/06/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1154m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Sgulaird.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day two of my holiday and for the purpose of getting the legs warmed up for the 12 days to come, it would be another single hill day with Beinn Sgulaird. The map showed a lot of ups and downs, so this would be an excellent step up from the straightforward ascent of Ben Challum the previous day. The weather had stepped it up too: sun and blue skies!
The drive up from Oban was great, with the lochs reflecting the sky and landscape like a mirror. After the turning for Glen Creran I had to get out of the car for a picture. Just fantastic! :D

DSCF4139 smaller.jpg
Beinn Sgulaird beckoning

I parked at Druimavuic. The gardens were closed, otherwise that would have made a nice little excursion for after the walk. Up the track. A small cairn indicates where to leave it and follow the ridge.

DSCF4140 smaller.jpg
Views over Loch Creran opening up

On spot height 488 there was a bit of confusion going on: a steep drop on the right cutting off progress in the intended direction. Where to go now? The (faint) path actually carries on in a NE direction before doubling back down hill to the bealach. Once there it is all very obvious. :lol:

DSCF4144 smaller.jpg
The hairpin path coming down from point 488

DSCF4145 smaller.jpg
More of Loch Creran

The pull up to point 863 is easy on grassy slopes with great views towards the Glen Etive munros and Mull. Wow!

DSCF4147 smaller.jpg
Glen Etive munros

DSCF4151 smaller.jpg
Glen Etive munros

DSCF4152 smaller.jpg
Beinn Sgulaird coming into view

DSCF4154 smaller.jpg
View towards Mull

After point 863 the terrain changes abruptly. Goodbye grass, here come the boulders and rocks. This made for an exciting descent down, up Meall Garbh and down to the next bealach. Scanning for the best route and then hopping from rock to rock or sliding down the scree. 8)

DSCF4156 smaller.jpg
Meall Garbh

DSCF4158 smaller.jpg
Descent from Meall Garbh

From there the climb up the ridge of Beinn Sgulaird was good fun with plenty of scrambly or non-scrambly route options to choose from. On the summit the upside of Beinn Sgulaird’s isolated position became apparent: those views, WOW! :D

DSCF4161 smaller.jpg
View towards Ben Nevis

DSCF4163 smaller.jpg
Down Loch Creran and Mull

DSCF4164 smaller.jpg
Looking back at the ascent route

DSCF4165 smaller.jpg
Towards Ben Cruachan

DSCF4166 smaller.jpg
Glen Etive and the Big Bookil

Sitting at the summit cairn, eating my sandwiches I couldn’t get enough from the views. Just fantastic! Although I had already decided to not go back the same way, but descend WNW, I made the most of the opportunity to admire the vistas down Glen Creran, whilst looking for the best route down.

DSCF4167 smaller.jpg
The descent route

Initially the way down was very stony and steep and required some careful hand and foot work, which led me off course a bit. But soon the hill became grassy again and I could just head for the sheepfold in the far distance. It was still steep and there was a fence and a tree lined gully to be negotiated. After this the ground became easier and the sheepfold got nearer.
A large herd of cattle was grazing on the flat ground on the other side of the Allt Bliochdaig, exactly where I wanted to go. I told myself this was good: as long as they were eating or looking for edible vegetation, they wouldn’t be interested in chasing me. :lol:
I picked a line with the least potential cow encounters. It still wasn’t ideal. The line went over very muddy trampled ground and in between a cow and her calf. There I was, trying to remain unnoticed whilst madly hopping from tussock to tussock. However, it worked. All I got were a few dismissive bovine stares before both went back to busying themselves with far more important matters. Phew!
There is no path, when coming off Beinn Sgulaird this way, which wasn’t an issue at all. It does tend to become a problem when getting closer to civilisation though: fences that are not meant to be climbed, horse paddocks, people’s gardens etc. I took a pro forma compass bearing for the last leg off the hill, fully expecting to have to abandon it because of the aforementioned or other obstacles. However, the fence had collapsed, there was a gate in the paddock and then a nice bulldozed track led me to a tarmac road, roughly 200m south of Taraphocain. Gosh, that had gone smoothly!
All that was left was a relaxed walk back to the car along the river Creran.
What a great day! :D
Last edited by Silverhill on Thu May 01, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Beinn Sgulaird

Postby soapy27 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Great report there Silverhill :clap: Looks a cracking walk
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby litljortindan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Nice to see this. Oddly enough, I was admiring Rocket Ron's winter photo of the same this afternoon. I recall from my own visit that the view over Loch Creran is indeed quite splendid. Drove past admiring it in 1989, a decade before the new bridge was opened, but didn't climb it until after 1999.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby andyroog » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Looks like a fine walk you had there well done can't beat a great day eh
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks soapy27, litljortindan and andyroog! :D
It was a lovely day for it. I couldn’t believe my luck with weather! The views in winter must be even more special. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland