walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More and Strath Nethy

Bynack More and Strath Nethy

Postby GariochTom » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 10/08/2013

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 970m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

bynack-more--strath-nethy.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off up the road, past the Reindeer Centre, up to Glenmore Lodge where the road becomes a track. It was a pleasant walk through the woodland with its birches and pines that climb up the hillsides. We passed An Lochan Uaine, the little green loch, then soon emerged into open moorland, Ryvoan Bothy just a speck in the distance.

Glenmore - The Queen's Forest by GariochT, on Flickr

Ryvoan Bothy in the distance, across open moorland by GariochT, on Flickr

At the junction of tracks we turned right and ambled to the lower reaches of Strath Nethy, crossing a bridge over the water, before heading up the northern slopes of Bynack More.

The lower reaches of Strath Nethy by GariochT, on Flickr

Meall a' Bhuachaille (Hill of the Shepherd) and Glenmore by GariochT, on Flickr

It was a long but gentle haul up the hill. Higher up, we had good views across to the tors and corries of Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird.

Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird by GariochT, on Flickr

We admired the curves of Bynack More and Bynack Beg - very graceful.

The Line of Beauty… Bynack More and Bynack Beg by GariochT, on Flickr

Towards the top, there were interesting views across to the opposite side of Strath Nethy, the hills having layers of heather, grass, and scree.

Across Strath Nethy by GariochT, on Flickr

The summit provided an excellent viewpoint to the heart of the Cairngorms, including Beinn Mheadhoin and Ben Macdui, and teasing glimpses of the cliffs encircling Loch Avon. The (Little) Barns of Bynack were intriguing too - fine examples of differential erosion.

Beinn Mheadhoin ('Middle Hill' and Ben Macdui in the distance. by GariochT, on Flickr

Orienting the map… Looking across to Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird by GariochT, on Flickr

Barns of Bynack (or the Little Barns?) by GariochT, on Flickr

Lairig an Laoigh from the Barns by GariochT, on Flickr

We descended south and southwest to A' Choinneach then southwest again towards The Saddle. The Loch Avon basin opened up to us.

The Heart of the Cairngorms. Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Loch Avon. by GariochT, on Flickr

Loch Avon in the heart of the Cairngorms by GariochT, on Flickr

The long Strath Nethy seemed like a hidden, not well-trodden glen, and the faint path wended its way down between the rocks, beside the meandering stream. We stopped for a break and I took some experimental macro pictures, holding my zoom lens the wrong way round against the camera to see the miniature world of the Cairngorms.

Macro - funny Cairngorm plant by GariochT, on Flickr

Macro of Scottish bluebell (harebell?) by GariochT, on Flickr

Macro of a bit of granite by GariochT, on Flickr

Macro of a tiny alien-like Cairngorm plant by GariochT, on Flickr
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: Bynack More and Strath Nethy

Postby Silverhill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Wow GariochTom, that is some distance! Your route makes for a nice variation rather than turning back the same way. I may do the same when my time comes. That view over Loch Avon is grand. 8) I like your pictures of the Cairngorms miniature world!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:56 pm

I was on Bynack More the same day and think i may have saw you ahead of us returning to the main path from the Glen as we returned from Creag Mhor. It was a lovely day. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby morag1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Always enjoy your reports, you just love being out there in the wilds don't you 8)

Lovely photos, makes me long to go back to Aviemore again :D
morag1

Postby GariochTom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Silverhill wrote:Wow GariochTom, that is some distance! Your route makes for a nice variation rather than turning back the same way. I may do the same when my time comes. That view over Loch Avon is grand. 8) I like your pictures of the Cairngorms miniature world!

It's funny, the walk didn't seem as long as it was, but that's probably because the ascent and descent were both quite gentle! We were glad we'd chosen that route - it does make the walk more interesting and provides great views over Loch Avon as you say!

Johnny Corbett wrote:I was on Bynack More the same day and think i may have saw you ahead of us returning to the main path from the Glen as we returned from Creag Mhor. It was a lovely day. :D

It was a nice day wasn't it? I don't think I spotted you, which route did you take to do both Bynack More and Creag Mhor?

morag1 wrote:Always enjoy your reports, you just love being out there in the wilds don't you 8)

I do! :D
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 pm

We dropped down off Bynack More between the crags south of Lochan Bhainne and then upto Creag Mhor from there. You may have been the guy i said hi to at Lochain Uaine, i was on a bike.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby RicKamila » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Ah lovely Bynack More. Our first Munro... Lovely photos.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland