walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

“WEE GUY” ON FIRE - 30 KMS, 11 HRS, 6 MUNROS!

“WEE GUY” ON FIRE - 30 KMS, 11 HRS, 6 MUNROS!

Postby davedanson28 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 10/08/2013

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 26.8 km

Ascent: 1317m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We decided on Glen Shee for this week’s expedition, we left on Friday evening and camped close by to the ski centre car park ready for a flying start on the Saturday. We knew that there was not much ascent in the round so would see these as fairly easy blue pins in the map. :crazy: The Wee Guy woke up in the morning having climbed 35 Munro summits and went to bed having climbed 41, not a bad day’s work! So anyway we parked at the ski centre (ca 600m above sea level) and left the car at 8am heading north down the road for a mile before turning onto the hill track (ca 400m above sea level). The weather was cloudy but clear and also dry. We obviously had the Munro dug (Marley) in tow, he was very interested in the dead hares at the side of the road. We soon got a glimpse of the day’s first target Carn an Tuirc and pushed on towards it.
1.jpg
The tracks where pretty well defined and also very dry.
2.jpg
3.jpg
We made good time and despite taking a very direct route up the boulders (Kyle’s choice) :roll: we were soon at the first summit, Munro 1 for the day.
4.jpg
It felt good as this was Kyle’s 36th Munro. So a quick check of the map and we were off heading for the next summit, Tolmount. It was a fair trek out across the plateau, but relatively easy going.
5.jpg
I have never seen as many hairs as I did on this day, amazing. It probably took us a little over an hour to reach the second summit and Munro number 2. Kyle thought this was too easy for a Munro! :lol:
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
A quick snack and then onto number 3, Tom Buidhe. We got to the summit around 12.30 and decided it was lunch time, not bad really.
9.jpg
Lunch time and three Munro’s in the bag, this really was Munro bagging! The first shower of the day came and went at this point but it did not require the waterproofs to be put on. The views where kind of strange, not really very picturesque compared to the rough west coast which we are used to. However you did get the immense feeling of space. Anyway after a wee break we set of back across the plateau towards the Munro of Cairn of Claise, it was quite a long trek.
10.jpg
But eventually we made it; the Wee Guy even gave the cairn a kiss!
11.jpg
12.jpg
Epic, Munro number 4 and Kyle’s 39th! I was feeling very proud of him! We did not hang around here as the rain came in and it was a bit misty, so we pushed onto the next target, Glas Maol which was also the highest peak of the day and Munro number 5. It took about an hour to reach the summit, amazing!
13.jpg
We had the summit to ourselves for a short while which made it very special. This was Kyle’s 40th Munro, not bad for a wee 7 year old mountain goat!
14.jpg
Awesome! I was feeling extremely proud now as this had equalled his previous record for Munro’s climbed in a day! After a picture and a hug or two we left and could now easily see the sixth and final Munro. It was by far the best looking of the six; it was steep and rocky and had a nice ridge leading to it.
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
There were a couple of false summits which added to the anticipation but then finally we summited Creag Leacach! WOW, we had done it! 6 Munro’s in one day. Kyle and I were buzzing. He now had 41 Munro’s in the bag, no stopping him now. :D
18.jpg
19.jpg
We sat for a while before starting our descent which was pretty quick;
21.jpg
24.jpg
we hit the road and then had the mile or so walk back up the hill to the ski centre car park.
23.jpg
We made it in a little less than 11 hours. To sum it up we travelled just under 30km’s in 11 hours over 6 Munro summits. I was so so proud of him and Marley of course. What next, hope I can keep up! :shock:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: “WEE GUY” ON FIRE - 30 KMS, 11 HRS, 6 MUNROS!

Postby Doghouse103 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Well done wee man what a great achievement 6 Munro's in one day :D Also well done to a very proud dad.
Doghouse103
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:7   
Islands:12

Postby GillC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 pm

FANTASTIC, what a wee star you have there, love the picture of him looking wistfully off the last ridge. smashing,,well done both. You're obviously a hero and an inspiration to a great "wee guy" :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby riverlodge » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:31 pm

nice pics, great report. looks like the little fella had plenty of sugar supplies to keep him going.
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby davedanson28 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:34 am

Doghouse103 wrote:Well done wee man what a great achievement 6 Munro's in one day :D Also well done to a very proud dad.

Cheers Doghouse103. :D Thanks for the comments! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:35 am

GillC wrote:FANTASTIC, what a wee star you have there, love the picture of him looking wistfully off the last ridge. smashing,,well done both. You're obviously a hero and an inspiration to a great "wee guy" :clap:

Aww..thanks GILLC! Feeling even more proud now! :lol:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 am

riverlodge wrote:nice pics, great report. looks like the little fella had plenty of sugar supplies to keep him going.

Thanks riverlodge! You cannae beat those magic little jelly beans! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby alfie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:38 pm

well done to you and the wee guy bud!was up there on sunday and had a great day,really enjoyed this walk!we parked at ski centre and started to climb glas maol then cut over to creach leacach,back to glas maol,onto cairn of claise ,tom buidhe,tolmount,over to carn an tuirc then down to the road which wasnt that far back to the car at ski centre!by the way did ye leave a jelly baby sitting on cairn on tom bhuide,haha brilliant! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby David-Main » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Well done the wee guy. I actually passed yous coming off Tom Buidhe, I was the guy with the spaniel , great day had by all :clap:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby wjshaw2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Very envious of that bag of sweeties...
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:64
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Postby weescotsman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Stunning once again, wee guy is gonna be catching me up fast at this rate. 6 in a day is amazing going, even with the high start point. Congrats to Marley dog as well of course...... :clap:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 am

alfie wrote:well done to you and the wee guy bud!was up there on sunday and had a great day,really enjoyed this walk!we parked at ski centre and started to climb glas maol then cut over to creach leacach,back to glas maol,onto cairn of claise ,tom buidhe,tolmount,over to carn an tuirc then down to the road which wasnt that far back to the car at ski centre!by the way did ye leave a jelly baby sitting on cairn on tom bhuide,haha brilliant! :clap:

Thanks Alfie! Yeah was a nice change this walk, think I / we prefer the more rugged west coast mountains though! :wink: The jelly bean on a cairn....yeah that was him, he said it was in case of emergency...in case someone got hungry! ha ha. :lol: Cheers again and maybe we will bump into each other on these hills one day soon! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

David-Main wrote:Well done the wee guy. I actually passed yous coming off Tom Buidhe, I was the guy with the spaniel , great day had by all :clap:

Cheers David, yeah I remember....you had a big camera around your neck! Good day indeed. :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:58 am

wjshaw2 wrote:Very envious of that bag of sweeties...

:D It is a great bag! Keeps us going on the long days! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:00 am

weescotsman wrote:Stunning once again, wee guy is gonna be catching me up fast at this rate. 6 in a day is amazing going, even with the high start point. Congrats to Marley dog as well of course...... :clap:

Hey Brian, thanks for the message! :D It was a great day / achievement for him! Hopefully bump into you again soon! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland