walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mosdale Horseshoe Via the High Traverse

Mosdale Horseshoe Via the High Traverse

Postby ChrisG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Kirk Fell, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Steeple

Hewitts included on this walk: Kirk Fell, Pillar, Pillar - Black Crag, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell

Date walked: 10/08/2013

Time taken: 12

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1753m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fantastic day out on a classic Lakeland route. Unfortunately couldn't manage the scramble up Yewbarrow at the end of the walk ran out of time but it looks a fantastic route next time perhaps.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

934702_10151750039939367_2127167883_n.jpg

1170860_10151750039954367_8379697_n.jpg

7206_10151750040239367_1500697318_n.jpg

988692_10151750040389367_954698156_n.jpg
Last edited by ChrisG on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Mosdale Horseshoe Via the High Traverse

Postby ChrisW » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Thats a damn good round Chris, I wouldn't have had the energy for any more never mind the time :lol: Lovely atmospheric shots as always :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby AJNicholls » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:21 am

Hi Chris, did the same walk on the same day as you. (Plus Kirk Fell East Top, which Ibex and me missed by accident back in May.)

Good day out, shame about the occasional shower. The clag dropped down quite thick when I was descending Red Pike, otherwise I'd have been tempted by Yewbarrow also. Will save that for another day.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby ChrisG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 am

AJNicholls wrote:Hi Chris, did the same walk on the same day as you. (Plus Kirk Fell East Top, which Ibex and me missed by accident back in May.)

Good day out, shame about the occasional shower. The clag dropped down quite thick when I was descending Red Pike, otherwise I'd have been tempted by Yewbarrow also. Will save that for another day.

We missed the east top this time didn't know there was an east top till i got home and ticked them off. We must of come off at the same time as we came down Red Pike in thick clag also.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Postby AJNicholls » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:33 pm

ChrisG wrote:
AJNicholls wrote:Hi Chris, did the same walk on the same day as you. (Plus Kirk Fell East Top, which Ibex and me missed by accident back in May.)

We missed the east top this time didn't know there was an east top till i got home and ticked them off. We must of come off at the same time as we came down Red Pike in thick clag also.

Yep, Ibex and me didn't spot the extra top on Kirk Fell until too late either. Note there's one on Yewbarrow too when you go back. ;)
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 pm

A good route, Chris. It seems there were a few of us on Red Pike that day! Some people rate Yewbarrow as the most difficult of the Wainwrights, so it's worth saving for good weather. I was lucky on Saturday, having made an early start, so I reached Yewbarrow in clear conditions. A tough little hill, but exhilarating. Something for you to look forward to!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of Yewbarrow, I'm ok at ups but not as good on the downs. So which way should I do it?
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:22 pm

ChrisG wrote:I'm really looking forward to the challenge of Yewbarrow, I'm ok at ups but not as good on the downs. So which way should I do it?

If you're going to take on Stirrup Crag, then it sounds like you'd be more comfortable climbing it than coming down, Chris.

Now you've done Red Pike, you could, of course, do Yewbarrow on its own, missing Stirrup Crag altogether. There's a new path from Wasdale Head to the summit ridge on the Bell Rib (south) side of Yewbarrow's top, which bypasses Great Door - this should also make descent by that route more easy (on Saturday I came down by Wainwright's classic route visiting Great Door, but that involves quite a rough descent).

I noticed that work is being done on the new route I mentioned to improve that path. That gives me mixed feelings - Yewbarrow is supposed to be hard; one of the things that makes the 214 a challenge!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:43 pm

I think when I do it I'll do the classic route up and down. But it's nice to know theres a bit of a chicken run if the downward scramble proves to much. Although I have to say I've managed what Ive set out to do so far. I like to scramble But i'm not the best with open exposure.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Postby AJNicholls » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:19 am

I did Yewbarrow yesterday, up the South side then down the North side followed by a long scree descent towards my spiritual homeland of the pub at Wasdale Head. Really quite enjoyed it. It feels a bit exposed in places, but what's more of an issue is that some of the scrambly bits are relentlessly steep and awkward to get a foothold on. I was glad I was just aiming to bag this and nothing else yesterday as it gave me time to make a steady ascent and descent.

The South side has a lot more loose rocks than the North side by the way.

All told, this has to be one of my favourite fells. I'd have been tempted to do a Trip Report, but my preferred report title of "Dr. Yewbarrow or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Scramble" was apparently too long. :(
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland