walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Ronnies

Two Ronnies

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes, Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 29/07/2013

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1050m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a wonderful week on Harris it was, as always with the Hebrides, a wrench to leave. Fortunately we didn’t have as long a journey as we did to get here with our next destination being Tomintoul.

Parting is such sweet sorrow by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

After enjoying some great weather in the last week things had to even out and our first day, Sunday was a total washout. :( The forecast for Monday and Tuesday was very similar, a bright sunny morning followed by afternoon downpours so I decided to use our mornings to bag a couple of wee Ronnies (Corbetts).
On the Monday we took the short drive north to Glenn Rinnes to climb the eponymous hill that dominates the local landscape. This is as simple a walk was you could wish for with a broad track heading straight up the hill that becomes a broad path all the way to the summit. The weather forecast was holding up OK and it was a beautiful morning.

Starting out by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Long and winding road by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Early heather on the way up by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The walk may be simple but the views are very fine indeed and with the going being so easy you get plenty of chance to enjoy them. The best thing about Ben Rinnes is its fine rocky summit giving superb views in all directions.

Ben Rinnes by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking West by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Dilapidated Trig Point by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Ben Rinnes Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Family summit shot by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Summit Views by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We had an early lunch on the summit tors moving far enough away from the wasps that had made their home close to the disintegrating trig point. As we headed down we could see the cloud massing over the main Cairngorm plateau and the bright sunshine was gone by the time we reached the car.

Patchwork fields by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Beyond the tor by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Heading down by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Meikle Conval and Little Conval by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Our decision to keep it short and sweet was confirmed as heavy showers arrived on cue at Tomintoul with the sky towards Glenn Rinnes looking very black indeed.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tuesday morning saw us heading south towards Glen More for another smaller hill in the shape of Meall a Bhuachaille. We parked at the Glen More visitor centre and headed up the well-made path through the forest.

Through the trees by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Soon enough as height is gained a wonderful view of the Cairngorms and Loch Morlich opens up.

Cairngorms Panorama by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr (click on pic for bigger version)

The promised showers were starting to show themselves as we reached the summit with some heavy rain passing to the east behind Bynack More and increasing cloud over the main bulk of mountains with Sgor Gaoith in particular getting a soaking.

Stormy behind Bynack More by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Rain over Sgor Gaoith by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Creagan Gorm by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We had lunch in the substantial summit shelter which was needed as the breeze was getting up a bit. We had the occasional look behind us to check the weather as we ate but it stayed fine.
The scenery on the way down the East of the hill was just as nice with the Turquoise An Lochan Uaine glittering below.

Looking across Glen More by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

As with the ascent the path on this side is superbly made allowing you to enjoy the views to the full.

Path through the Heather by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Heading Down by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

By the time we reached An Lochan Uaine it had clouded over but we still paused for a while to enjoy this beautiful little body of water. It’s a pity it wasn't still sunny but the colour of the water was still very striking.

An Lochain Uaine by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

From here it was an easy stroll back to the Glen More visitor centre and a cup of coffee and cake. :D Our walk turned out to be timed to perfection as the rain started just as we pulled away in the car. 8)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Two Ronnies

Postby RicKamila » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Lovely photos. Have really enjoyed your reports on your trip to the Isles. We did Meall a' Buachaille just before we did Bynack More. Really need to do a Walk Report on it.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 am

Lovely pair JK and great for me to see what the view from Ben Rinnes is like, I set off up there in great conditions myself only to be rained/clagged in at the summit....I tried waiting it out but eventually gave up and went home with no views to show for it :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 pm

I've never been to Harris but I'm hoping to spend some time visiting the islands next year, and I'll certainly be looking at your reports for walks when I do go. Wonder if my photos will match up to yours though :problem:
Something tells me they wont :(

You really love Scotland don't you, think we should all adopt you as an honorary Scot :D

Great report as always :clap:
morag1

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 pm

RicKamila wrote:Lovely photos. Have really enjoyed your reports on your trip to the Isles. We did Meall a' Buachaille just before we did Bynack More. Really need to do a Walk Report on it.

Thanks Rick, you'll have to get yourself out to the Other Hebrides sometime, an amazing place.

ChrisW wrote:Lovely pair JK and great for me to see what the view from Ben Rinnes is like, I set off up there in great conditions myself only to be rained/clagged in at the summit....I tried waiting it out but eventually gave up and went home with no views to show for it :roll:

At least you now know it might have been worth it :wink:

morag1 wrote:I've never been to Harris but I'm hoping to spend some time visiting the islands next year, and I'll certainly be looking at your reports for walks when I do go. Wonder if my photos will match up to yours though :problem:
Something tells me they wont :(

I couldn't recommend the Isles enough and I'm sure your pics will be fine. Hard to fail in such a stunning place.

morag1 wrote:You really love Scotland don't you, think we should all adopt you as an honorary Scot :D
Great report as always :clap:

I do indeed love Scotland and have always had a warm welcome, I'm sure Young is a Scottish name anyhow so there's a bit of Scotsman in me somewhere :wink: :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:07 am

Two nice short walks these. I saw my one and only inversion on Ben Rinnes. Photos are superb. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Ben Rinnes had caught my eye when wandering the Cairngorms recently, now its on my must do list. The Lochan is truly beautiful

Cheers pal
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Two nice short walks these. I saw my one and only inversion on Ben Rinnes. Photos are superb. :D

L-Hiking wrote:Ben Rinnes had caught my eye when wandering the Cairngorms recently, now its on my must do list. The Lochan is truly beautiful

Cheers pal

Thanks Johnny and Geoff, Ben Rinnes is well worth the small amount of effort required to climb it, great viewpoint.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby MarkyMark10 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Lovely couple of walks there JK. You are tempting me to go on holiday in Scotland next year!
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:39 pm

MarkyMark10 wrote:Lovely couple of walks there JK. You are tempting me to go on holiday in Scotland next year!

Get yerself there Mark, best country in the world :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland