walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan - pt1

Ben Cruachan - pt1

Postby Milesy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan

Date walked: 31/01/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 1126m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nearly at the Bealach.

Cimg3602.jpg

Self Portrait!

Cimg3604.jpg

From the Bealach the clouds have started to come in. The steep slopes of Meall Cuanail in the background.

Cimg3605.jpg

We should be looking out at Oban and the Isle of Mull from here. You can see a little of the ocean, but not much.

Cimg3609.jpg

Cimg3610.jpg

Looking south down Loch Awe.

Cimg3613.jpg

Cimg3616.jpg

Spindrift snow seems to get everywhere!

Cimg3617.jpg

About a third of the way to the summit from the bealach the ground becomes hard nevé, and definately time to get crampons on and ice axe out. Very slow ascent with some icey precipitous run offs into the coire! I emphasise good footwork here and steady balance.

Craig has reached the summit of his third Munro. Craig has also reached the summit of his third Munro with no views. Such is life in the Scottish mountains and weather.

Cimg3621.jpg

Feeling very comfy in my new Rab Latok Alpine Jacket.

Cimg3623.jpg

Settling down for a brew in the clouds.

Cimg3636.jpg

The view opened up for about 30 seconds although not very far.

Cimg3639.jpg

Cimg3642.jpg

Looking down the Coire.

Cimg3653.jpg

Cimg3654.jpg

Cimg3656.jpg

We started to see a little more once we came down out the cloud base.

Cimg3662.jpg

Back at the bealach.

Cimg3664.jpg

Trying some vertical ice climbing (not)

Cimg3671.jpg

All the other peaks mostly seem to have sunshine except Cruachan.

Cimg3673.jpg

A little freestyle glissade. (Don't do this with crampons on)

Cimg3674.jpg

Back down at the dam and the south seems to be enjoying more sun than us.

Cimg3675.jpg

The obligatory sunset pictures just as we get down towards the car.

Cimg3691.jpg

Cimg3693.jpg
Milesy
Stravaiging

Ben Cruachan - pt1

Postby Milesy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Another coin toss weather forecast and Craig and I headed off with two plans. An Caisteal or Ben Cruachan. On arrival at Crianlarich the skies seemed blue enough and with an optimistic feeling Ben Cruachan was chosen.

On driving along the road to Dalmally the eastern flanks of the Cruachan Massif came into view. This can be climbed as a circuit known as the Dalmally Horseshoe. Note to myself that I need to climb it from this direction one time.

Cimg3567.jpg

After a lovely early morning drive along Loch Awe we arrived at the Falls Of Cruachan train station (only in operation in the summer months) and parked the car at the layby. The start of the climb is through a underpass under the railway line.

Cimg3569.jpg

Nothing better than waking your muscles up with straight into steep leg work. Loch Awe is getting further below us.

Cimg3570.jpg

Craig is optimistic about his first winter climb and hopeful that for his third time in the hills will get some views at the top (will he get them???)

Cimg3572.jpg

The Pass of Brander. Site of a famous military battle in the Scottish Wars of Independance.

Cimg3573.jpg

Hungry Robin eat some seeds out my hand.

Cimg3577.jpg

Cimg3581.jpg

The monstrous Cruachan Dam comes into view.

Cimg3583.jpg

Cimg3584.jpg

The Cruachan Horseshoe surrounds the Cruachan reservoir. Incredibly tranquil.

Cimg3585.jpg

Cimg3586.jpg

Cimg3588.jpg

At the top of the reservoir we swung west towards the main summit: Ben Cruachan at 1126 m (3694 ft)

Cimg3589.jpg

The Bealach comes into site.

Cimg3591.jpg

Plenty of blue skies everywhere with just a flutter of cloud. Hopes are right up just now.

Cimg3592.jpg

Cimg3593.jpg

Cimg3595.jpg
Milesy
Stravaiging

Re: Ben Cruachan - pt2

Postby mountain coward » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Some nice pics there... very brave of your mate to do that as his third Munro but in winter - it was about my first Munro and my mountain cowardice came to the fore leaving Cruachan's summit to descend along the edge! I'd probably enjoy it now though - now I've got a few more under my belt! :D I see it was t-shirt weather lower down :D
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks.

Yeah the Sun was beating right into the Coire and resevoir and it felt like a nice sun trap 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby davetherave » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Milesy

Will take note of the carefull foot work needed going up the ridge to the summit of Ben Cruachan. I think there should be slightly less snow now but there will be plenty ice conditions to contend with.

Can you park near ST Conans kirk and make your way along the access road to the reservoir ??

Your pic looking down the coire ...... ?? there are 3 Coire'S near the summit. :?

Surprised you only did the 1 hill on the day, and it took 7 hrs, was it the conditions or were you just taking it easy. :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Ben Cruachan - pt1

Postby Milesy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Yeah was going at Craig's pace. The one hill was enough for him.

Just parked at the Falls of Cruachan station layby and went up to the resevoir that way. It is a nice walk :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby davetherave » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Yeah but, can you park at the St conans kirk, that may be more suitable for the route i have in mind.
davetherave

Postby Milesy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:21 pm

I dont know but you can get onto the ridge from near Dalmally onto the "Dalmally Horseshoe" which can be extended to Cruachan.

http://incallander.com/walks/dalmally-hs.htm
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby kinley » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:50 pm

:lol: Like your vertical climbing shot :lol:
kinley

Postby davetherave » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm

yeah looked at something like that, but if time is on our side , may head east off Sron a isean and then north heading for Lairig Noe before heading up Beinn a Chochuill.
I will defo try and park at st Conans Kirk on the access road i think, then head up to reservoir and do the 2 munros and the corbett hopefully. And if time allows we will decide if we can do the rest of the route.
davetherave

Postby Rekrab » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 am

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =607500577

nice to know i'm not the only one who does this.

MacKenzie
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am

kinley wrote::lol: Like your vertical climbing shot :lol:

Kinley, you mean he wasnt??? :wink: :lol:
Glenrothes

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland