walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler

The Cobbler

Postby velvet-rose » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 30/01/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can hardly believe I did this walk :o ... it was not only an experience but a hell of achievement for myself and my partner.
For me as I am disabled was steep took it at my pace.. slow :lol: :lol:
It was a good day sun was out .. almost summers day. ... the higher we got you could hear the wind ... and feel the icy cold breeze ...I tried looking for the old path. Our Toby though a tough wee un .. was whinging on way back, I highly recommend the experience. I am now looking for simular climbs ..it was exillerating. It seemed quite easy to the more fit of walkers. I had to have 2 rest breaks on way up. Non the less ... I would definetly recommend this walk even to the novice. The views were splendid ... in all directions ... well worth every step
Attachments
2010-01-30 The Cobbler 013.JPG
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Re: The Cobbler

Postby sloosh » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Well done. :)

(I'd need more than two breaks :lol: )
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Milesy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Well done. Great aint it? :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Now that is a fine first mountain....you'll soon get Toby fit for even bigger ones :lol: ...good day out!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby velvet-rose » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:03 pm

It was breath taking and i mean the experience and views ..... so going to climb some more ... any ideas... we arent rock climbers ... so has to be more of a walk.
certainly is a fine mountain. I can see why alot of people are addicted... think i might be too ... lol :lol:
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Postby bazer100 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:08 pm

the cobber was was on the first ones i did as a kid with my old man, we got a train from Glasgow to Arrochar, then walked it from the station right to the start of the path , and it was diffrent back then, done the hill then walked all the way back to the station again, im knackered again just thinking about it! lol... once you get out next to the water feature and Narnain boulders, its really a smashing view, well done and nice picture.. what about Ben lomond? nothing really technical about it, but is a bit of a slog, worth the views again on a clear day
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 pm

The Cobbler is a great first hill velvet rose - stands comparison with anything really for great rock scenery. Ben Lomond is a good suggestion if you get a really clear, sunny day as its the views that make it stand out. Other suggestions near to Glasgow would include Ben Venue, or Ben Ledi in the Trossachs, or Beinn Dubh near Luss - descriptions of them all are on the website.

You should watch out for snow though - you really may need crampons or ice-axe until the snows are gone on the higher peaks, so might be best to wait a little bit to be safer.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby velvet-rose » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Cheers for all your comments and suggestions certainy made note :D My partner fancies Ben A'An ... and from looking on the site it certainly looks great with the views ... decided on this one til weather starts looking better snow wise :lol: I'm really loving the challenges these walks are giving us .... but then I so love scotland ... as my partner said ... Scotland is a master piece ... how right he is.
Will keep you informed of how we are doing ..... and post some photos ... xx Have a brill week/end ...I know we will
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Postby robertian » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 pm

great achievement velvet rose , glad to hear you are enjoying the challenge.
just goes to show what people can do if they have a bit of common sense , along with willpower and determination.
go for it and enjoy

cheers
ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gaffr » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Hello,
I hope it goes well on Ben A'an in the trossachs...this was an early top for our gang. Bus from the city to Callander and walk into below the hill for a camp. It really felt like a proper mountain after the Pentlands since it had several tiers of crags to ascend before reaching the summit. Like most of the Scottish hills this route is not the only way to reach the highest point! The views are splendid.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland