walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Auchnafree Hill

Auchnafree Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 18/08/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 843m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Growing up in Crieff it's always great to head back to this part of the world for a walk and today the plan was to climb Auchnafree Hill in Glen Turret.

It's years since I've been up at the dam and it's fair to say that the road has worsened since I was last there - it could now compete with the Glen Artney road for pot holes and bumps. The 10mph limit up the glen is a new one on me but anything above 30 and you'd probably be heading to Kwik Fit for a new exhaust.

Only a couple of cars in the car park so looks like a nice quiet day on the hill.

1.jpg

I can't remember ever seeing the water level so low.

2.jpg
Where's the water gone?

The track along the loch is quite undulating with good views down the water to Ben Chonzie which seems to be drifting in and out of clag.

3.jpg
Looking towards Ben Chonzie

4.jpg
Usual sheep photo

5.jpg
Islands in the loch

6.jpg

7.jpg
Looking back down the loch towards the dam

Just beyond the far end of the loch there is an obvious track heading up Auchnafree Hill.

9.jpg
Start of the climb

10.jpg
Looking back down Auchnafree Hill with the Loch Turret track coming in from the left

The climb up from the loch side is steep but the track makes the climb easier and height is gained fairly quickly.

12 - prefer.jpg
Looking back down to Loch Turret

At the point where the track changes from hard packed stone and grit to a more grassy surface there is a turning to the left which curves round the side of the hill before turning sharp right and heading towards the summit of Auchnafree Hill. Once the twin cairns are in view a narrow grassy track heads off left towards the lower of the two cairns. Once the cairns are in sight it's just 5 minutes to the top.

13 - summit.jpg
Summit cairn

14 - summit2.jpg

15 - the other summit.jpg
Lower cairn

I returned back to the main track up from the loch and turned left heading for Ton Eich and Choinneachain Hill. Still some more climbing to do.

17.jpg
Track heading up Choinneachain Hill

Within ten minutes of leaving the summit of Auchnafree Hill the weather deteriorated with the wind picking up and the rain clouds darkening the skies. It was noticeably cooler now but at least it was more or less coming from behind me which made the walking easier.

18 - Choinne.jpg
Choinneachain Hill cairn

By the time I had arrived at the cairn at 551m the rain had stopped and the sun had put in an appearance again. The track continues heading south east for 2km beyond the dam before taking a right turn and heading back towards Loch Turret. At this point there are great views over to the Lomonds, down to Crieff and on to Gleneagles and west towards Comrie.

The last couple of kilometres is on a good and flat track which makes for easy walking and with the sun out it's a really nice finish to the day.

19.jpg
Looking towards Loch Turret

20.jpg
Nearly back at the car

The track came out about 100 yards from the car park so it was a short walk up the road to the finish.

21.jpg
Turret Dam

There are quicker and shorter routes for Auchnafree Hill but this is a good distance and a nice circular route.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Auchnafree Hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Still to do this one, and as you say Gordie a nice circular circular walk and looks quite dry underfoot for most of the way :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 pm

I have very fond memories of this one in very different conditions to those you experienced. Great wee walk. Rod will love it if he gets good conditions. That water is very low - almost low enough to be exposing some of the buildings that were allegedly drowned by the building of the dam and the creation of the loch.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:52 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Still to do this one, and as you say Gordie a nice circular circular walk and looks quite dry underfoot for most of the way :)

Hi Rod

I knew there were a lot of shooting butts to the East of Choinneachain Hill so thought it was best to do this one on a Sunday.

You should enjoy it when you get round to it - not much to Auchnafree Hill itself but extending it from an up and down walk probably makes it much better.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Graeme D wrote:I have very fond memories of this one in very different conditions to those you experienced. Great wee walk. Rod will love it if he gets good conditions. That water is very low - almost low enough to be exposing some of the buildings that were allegedly drowned by the building of the dam and the creation of the loch.

I had a read of your report last night, as you say, different conditions!!

I was looking to see if there was a chimney or any evidence of the ruins in the water but no sign of anything. I'm sure there are ruins in Loch Turret but I started to wonder if I was maybe getting confused with Loch Lednock.- I'm sure there's ruins under one of them................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby mgmt! » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi gordie12, I met you in the car park at the end of your walk, still can't work out how we didn't meet on the hill, I left the first little path on loch turret as I wanted to have an easier finish. Did see some indication of a dwelling in the loch, 3 straight sided walls, although it could have been a boundary wall .
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm

mgmt! wrote:Hi gordie12, I met you in the car park at the end of your walk, still can't work out how we didn't meet on the hill, I left the first little path on loch turret as I wanted to have an easier finish. Did see some indication of a dwelling in the loch, 3 straight sided walls, although it could have been a boundary wall .

Hi mgmt!

It was good to meet you yesterday.

At least now I know how many Corbetts you've done - I meant to ask you! Which Corbett did you do before Auchnafree???

Having done Auchnafree I then headed over Ton Eich and Choinneachain Hill but the track then heads a good way down the glen to just above the Water Works before doubling back so if we were on Auchnafree at the same time maybe with me coming down and you going up, you would get back to the car park before me - did you leave the track on the way up??

Where did you see the outline of the building??

So many questions.....................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby mgmt! » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

i camped in glen lednock and headed up creag uchdag in the morning before driving round to loch turret. i went up choinneachain hill first and followed the track round before ascending auchnafree hill, but didnt really follow any path up. i spent 10 minutes getting that sheep back on its feet but think you have headed east round the boggy loch. was on the summit when the weather turned so took a bearing and headed ssw straight for the lochside path. the wall in the loch was on the west bank about 2 km from the dam. was nice to meet you too gordie
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:48 pm

mgmt! wrote:i camped in glen lednock and headed up creag uchdag in the morning before driving round to loch turret. i went up choinneachain hill first and followed the track round before ascending auchnafree hill, but didnt really follow any path up. i spent 10 minutes getting that sheep back on its feet but think you have headed east round the boggy loch. was on the summit when the weather turned so took a bearing and headed ssw straight for the lochside path. the wall in the loch was on the west bank about 2 km from the dam. was nice to meet you too gordie

I was on Ton Eich when the weather broke so sounds like we missed each other on Auchnafree.

Good luck with your Corbett round (I'm going to have a look at Creag Uchdag now!!).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Everytime I visit this site I find a new walk! This one isn't far from me at all and looks a really nice way to spend an afternoon out, especially with all the lovely heather out at the moment.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Everytime I visit this site I find a new walk! This one isn't far from me at all and looks a really nice way to spend an afternoon out, especially with all the lovely heather out at the moment.

Hi Sarah86

Not far from your beloved Ochils and well worth the journey, just take your time driving up the access road :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland