walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Rhos

Great Rhos

Postby Phooooey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Bache Hill, Black Mixen, Great Rhos

Date walked: 09/08/2013

Time taken: 4

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 750m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great Rhos

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A week off work and my step daughter and family are coming up to the Lakes to join us for the week, on one condition !! As neither Amy nor Kelvin drive I had to pick them up from Leominster and bring them back up to Cumbria.
A perfect excuse then to set off very early in the morning to avoid traffic and grab a few Brecon Beacons to start the holiday off on the right foot.
After a 04:00 start I made my way down the M6 to Warrington then across to Chester before proceeding south past Shrewsbury to the nearest Beacons to Leominster, parking up in the nice little village of New Radnor.

I was out onto the first track leading up to Sunnybank by 07:30 on a slightly cold, dry morning before passing round the flanks of the first hill to Lower Harley, across the bridge over the ford and the start of the long grassy stretch up the left hand side of the fence line leading up the side of Fron Hill. About half way up the path turned up a sharp left bank to skirt the Army artillery testing range that we would completely circumnavigate by the time we'd finished this morning. The ground was firm underfoot but as everything had a coat of rain from the previous night, the heather and long grasses made both boots and trousers very wet despite walking round in T-Shirt a little later when the sun had a chance to catch me up.

The path passed through an old quarry before opening out onto the grassy uplands and a broad ridge leading up to the first summit of Great Rhos. The final summit was strewn with purple heather and very wet as we reached the trig point.

Damson reaches Great Rhos summit
Very wet Damson on Great Rhos Trig Point

The path from the summit led north around the edge of Harley Dingle towards the wood. My GPS showed a track around the wood which we started to follow before being blocked off and returning to a small gate leading through the wood and a clear forrest track leading to the head of Shepherds Well.After navigating the stile to our right we followed the fence up the hill to the left and up to the summit of Black Mixen with its transmitter tower and building.

Transmitter tower on Black Mixen
Black Mixen summit

A rough and wet track led over the hilltop to pick up a small road track leading over to the next high point of Great Greigiau before dropping down to a cross roads at the foot of Bache Hill. No clear path was showing here so we made a direct bee-line to the top of the hill trying to avoid the grazing sheep before hopping over a small stile in the far corner of the field and popping up onto the summit lump of Bache Hill.

Damson on Bache Hill
Summit of Bache Hill
Looking back to Black Mixen from Bache Hill
View to Whimble from Bache Hill

Hopping back over the stile, we made our way down the opposite side of the field heading for the little knoll above Whinyard Rocks before dropping down the steep slope to the farm yard. The last upward push was for the summit of Whimble on the steady grassy gradient to its almost cairnless top.

Damson on Whimble

The descent back to Great Rhos led initially down the opposite flank to that we climbed, down to a clear path on the right hand side of the wood below before following its fenced tree line all the way round to Mutton Dingle and a housed lane leading back into the village and back to the car.

Both Damson & I were feeling a little tired and very wet but had enjoyed our first outing into the Beacons.
Half an hour later and we had arrived in Leominster to get beaten up by Charlie my 9 my year old grand daughter and a rather more gentle Sophie who's nearly one.

Later that week, Charlie, Kelvin, Damson & I did a hike and camp through Borrowdale, but that a different blog.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Great Rhos

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 am

A wet start to the week then Phooooey.....still beats the hell out of working :wink: Damson looks so much like 'yoda' on that first trig point I couldn't help but think that photo needed a caption like "soaking wet we are" underneath it :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland