walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stormy Skye adventures

Stormy Skye adventures

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Route description: Bruach na Frithe

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 18/08/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1648m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So what can I say about this weekend? I was so excited when I left work on Friday.. The 5 hour drive over to Skye seemed to pass in a flash, and I was soon seeing friendly faces in the bunkhouse.. :thumbup: I made the mistake of having a few tinnies before my dinner – so was rather tipsy even when Dougie arrived at 11.. By the time we were chucked out of the pub, and I had had a gin and a couple of drams of Charlie’s skull splitting 60% amber nectar, I was unconscious enough not to be woken by the shenanigans that followed later. This in turn, led me to wonder what the hell was with all the jokes about Asda workers :lol: Such is life.. :crazy:
Saturday was a wee bit stormy, so after spending the morning recovering from the ‘bug’ that frequently befalls WH members on these meets :) we decided to take ourselves off to Talisker Distillery for a hair of the dog.. Unfortunately all the tours were fully booked, and upon returning to the car after a mooch in the visitor centre, found we had a flat battery :? RAC have a rather slower response time out in Skye, so caught some more zeds while we waited.. Oh what a fun way to spend the afternoon :lol:

The evening went a lot better – Dougie won £140 on the bandit, and our team won the quiz, but best of all, the banter was flowing and I think a braw night was had by all :D
Sunday morning came, and most folk seemed to be heading to Kintail.. :roll: So we felt a bit controversial actually doing a Skye hill on the Skye meet. ;) We had decided to attempt Bruach na Frithe by the SW ridge, as there is a wee grade 2 scramble up that way.

bastier and frithe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We left as late as we could get away with, as the strong winds were supposed to be easing later. We drove Sunny round and got the last space at the Fairy Pools, as the walk in looked a little shorter that way, and would give us an option for a through route if we fancied later. :)

We set off, leaving the fairy pools path , and all the hubbub behind very quickly.. There was a large burn I struggled across – Oh to be able to jump like Dougie can :lol:

It’s a fairly decent path all the way up to the Bealach, with a couple of showers and a brisk wind cooling our efforts along the way.

We left the main path by the bealach lochan, and found a path that cut left up the hillside, onto the ridge. The bottom parts of said ridge are grassy and lumpy, but we soon found a well worn path to the left of the crest, which eased the going. :wink: It was really windy though, and getting worse as we ascended. There were some amazing views, so we stopped, snacked and talked about how even if we were soon to be blown off the hill, the effort would have been worth it just for the bonniness of the walk thus far..

The easy angled grassy ridge turned into a very steep scree slope :( well it wouldn’t be Skye without a dose of scree! It was difficult to keep our balance in the strong winds, and when we reached the top of the scree, the ridge narrowed dramatically, and the buffeting became scary. :shock:

We were soon at the foot of the scramble, but we knew it would be stupidity to attempt it, so we regretfully took to the bypass path round to the right. :(

There was still a wee bit of scrambling, and still interesting underfoot, so our mood brightened as we went along. :D

Then we saw the huge bank of clag out to sea, coming our way :? Time to don the waterproofs..

It hit, and all visibility went. We struggled on a way, but it was difficult, so we found a sheltered spot in a gully, behind a huge flake of basalt, ate our sandwiches and waited. It was sheltered and warm there.. shame the rocks couldn’t of been comfier :D
Then all of a sudden, it cleared and we could see the patchwork of islands out to sea – a spectacular moment!

So onwards and upwards, over slabs and loose rock to the Summit, where we hid behind the cairn from the wind and drank in those views.

Bla Bheinn was looking particularly fine and it was clear enough to make out people at the summit.. Felt good to get a hill bagged, I really wasn’t sure I would see a hilltop this weekend but we had proved ourselves wrong. 8)

So it was just lunchtime, and we had talked about maybe checking out Bastier as well, :wink: so we thought we would go for a look and se what transpired. :roll:
It was a short easy wander to Bealach nan Lice, bypassing a minor top, we then found ourselves just a stone throw from the tooth – Impressive bit of rock!

No hope of scrambling over, we took the steep gritty path round the bottom.. It was inevitably really slippy and it took us a while, taking baby steps we edged ourselves down. Am Bastier was overhanging above, dripping on us incessantly. :roll: Seemed to be a big drop in height before we could haul ourselves up the scree path the other side up to bealach a Bhastier where we ate some more, read about the scramble ahead in our book, and rested.

The wind had dropped, but we were unsure if it really had, or if we were just in a sheltered spot.. Seemed silly to turn back now without even trying, so we set off, the going easy initially.

We had no troubles following the route in the book for a while, but then I got confused about which orangey brown slab it was talking about, and we got a bit lost :D We had kept on the sheltered side of the crest – we weren’t particularly keen on trying the bad step, as the rocks weren't only wet and slippery, but also flaking away under our hands and feet :shock: After a very slow edge across a steep wet basalt slab, we found ourselves at the top of a wall.. I could see a way down, but it looked rather airy to say the least.. :lol: Dougie went off to find another way himself, but I thought I would give it a go, so swung myself over the edge.. :o My legs were very shaky, but I managed down in one piece, and took to the slippery slabs beyond, heading for the crest on the other side of the Bad Step..

I reached a reasonable stone for sitting on, after only a couple of terrifying slips.. I waited nervously for Dougie to appear, and he did thankfully.. 8) We regained our composure, trying not to think about how we were getting back, and set off for the summit with wobbly legs almost back to normal. There was just a short distance, and some very much easier scrambling and we were there..

It was apparent that the wind really had dropped a bit, although mists seemed to be returning. Dougie didn’t want to stop so it was then time for the descent – always the worst bit for me.. :?
We returned to the bad step easy enough, but Dougie said he couldn’t manage the wall, so we dropped height a bit, looking for the route he had taken up.. Unfortunately things look different facing the other way, so there was much faff, eventually going up some criss crossing ledges.

Dougie had lost all confidence – I don’t think his new boots are that good for climbing and the rock there is soooo crumbly :( he took a bit of persuading to continue, even saying he was going to drop down into Lota Corrie and come back up to the bealach at one point! :lol: We reached another wall, this time a bit easier… I followed it downward, looking for an easy route back to the path, only to find trickier ground, so had to retrace steps. I saw a wee gully, and went for a look to see if I could scramble up, and I managed, but Dougie struggled, went to look for a different route, but then was forced to give it another go and managed.. Yaay! :clap:

Back on the path, it was an easy saunter back down to Bealach a Bhastier – Phew! :D

A bit of debate about the best way back – Sligachan was definitely closer, so we ratraced our steps down the scree path, this time taking it almost all the way down to the corrie floor. We contoured over rough ground, up to the end of pinnacle ridge, having a couple of wee walls to scramble over to get there.

The series of falls which eventually got lost in a huge gorge below was lovely, as we descended a very slabby, gentle ridge with an improving path. Sligachan looked temptingly close, but wasn't getting any closer :lol: :crazy:

We finally joined hthe main path up Gillean.. Dougie said it was an hour from there which didn't lift my spirits any! Still nice views.. And nice waterfalls lower down :)

Footsore and weary, we finally got to the hotel in plenty time to get dinner, and didn't get camped up at Glen Brittle until 10 :shock:
Weather was pants again Monday - clag held on to the tops all day, so other adventures were had at lower levels elsewhere before home.. What a memorable weekend.. Thanks ahbody for putting up with me for another meet :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Stormy Skye adventures

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:58 am

Well done for making it! :clap: :clap: But it's serious stuff up there as you now know, the basalt very slippy when wet, not nice :crazy: But getting two done, brilliant stuff. I think with the wind as it was I would have headed for the shelter of Fionn Choire and not attempted the ridge, in fact I wouldn't be up there in those conditions :shock:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am

A nice wee adventure and some hairy moments as well by the sound of it. I keep reading reports on the Cuillins trying to decide which one to do first but no further forward. What i do know though is i'm waiting for a dry calm day. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby trekker53 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Well done the two of you for attempting this. A bit to scary for my liking. I'll keep it for a good day. I only did Marco that day but the summit ridge winds was pretty high at times. I could see all the clag enveloping the Cuillins and thankful I wasn't up there. Fridays Inn Pinn effort was enough of the clag I wish to see.
Fine meeting up with you again though I have to miss the Kinlochleven meet due to clash of work dates.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Clach Liath » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Good effort! Glad you got to see some waterfalls :)
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby Meatball » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Cracking stuff!
Question time...is the trig point still there on Frithe?
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby soapy27 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Great report there Basscadet :clap: Despite a few tricky moments and not ideal conditions looks like like you had a braw day in the Cuillins 8)
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Bod » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Some pair you are......:) :) :)......well done getting in a big Cuillin day, it was some weekend. Magical times...
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Gle mhath a caileag :clap: :clap:

Remember Gabbro = Good , Basalt = Bad
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby basscadet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:52 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Well done for making it! :clap: :clap: But it's serious stuff up there as you now know, the basalt very slippy when wet, not nice :crazy: But getting two done, brilliant stuff. I think with the wind as it was I would have headed for the shelter of Fionn Choire and not attempted the ridge, in fact I wouldn't be up there in those conditions :shock:

I think we chose the right hills for the day.. I actually found it a whole lot more straightforward, and felt less serious than anything else I have done on the Cuillin.. And I have only walked in perfect conditions previously :D

Johnny Corbett wrote:A nice wee adventure and some hairy moments as well by the sound of it. I keep reading reports on the Cuillins trying to decide which one to do first but no further forward. What i do know though is i'm waiting for a dry calm day. :D

I wouldn't of thought it matters which you do first, Just take a mate who has been before would be my advice.. :wink: I went with my dad the first time, and he didn't exactly break me in gently, but because of that I feel more confident about it now :crazy:

trekker53 wrote:Well done the two of you for attempting this. A bit to scary for my liking. I'll keep it for a good day. I only did Marco that day but the summit ridge winds was pretty high at times. I could see all the clag enveloping the Cuillins and thankful I wasn't up there. Fridays Inn Pinn effort was enough of the clag I wish to see.
Fine meeting up with you again though I have to miss the Kinlochleven meet due to clash of work dates.

Aye, it was fine to have a dram with you yet again.. :D Glad you got out on Sunday too :clap: It was windier for longer than the weather forecast suggested.. I'm sick I missed the scramble up to Frithe :(

Clach Liath wrote:Good effort! Glad you got to see some waterfalls :)

I'd almost had enough of them by Sunday.. Saturday wa quite something :shock: :lol:

Meatball wrote:Cracking stuff!
Question time...is the trig point still there on Frithe?

Aye, in surprisingly good condition.. could of been built last week!

soapy27 wrote:Great report there Basscadet :clap: Despite a few tricky moments and not ideal conditions looks like like you had a braw day in the Cuillins 8)

Thanks, It was affy fine.. Canny wait to go back :)

Bod wrote:Some pair you are......:) :) :)......well done getting in a big Cuillin day, it was some weekend. Magical times...

Magical indeed :D Mo0stly because of the crowd of peeps that go to the meets :wink:

Collaciotach wrote:Gle mhath a caileag :clap: :clap:

Remember Gabbro = Good , Basalt = Bad

I would of liked Gabbro.. but unfortunately you just have to take whatever the hill throws at you, and manage somehow.. Thats most of the fun isn't it? :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Well done :clap: and a great effort on a not so great day. It sounds like that you had some hairy moments...sounds oddly familiar :lol: :lol: Love that picture with the great white cloud capping the mountain :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Your photos of Sgurr na-h-Uamha look great - it's a must-do peak for me.
Well done!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby basscadet » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:39 pm

kevsbald wrote:Your photos of Sgurr na-h-Uamha look great - it's a must-do peak for me.
Well done!

Oh I have noticed that one before too.. Personally, I'm obsessed with Bidein Druim nan Ramh.. and this trip didn't do anything to stomp that out :? One day they are both gonna get it! :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Great stuff you couple of crazy cats! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland