walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quandary Peak, Colorado

Quandary Peak, Colorado

Postby Clach Liath » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Date walked: 27/07/2013

Time taken: 6.75

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 1375m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quandary Peak was the final Colorado climb of my week in the US Rockies targeting a few of the 53 14’ers, the 53 peaks that are higher than 14,000ft in height. This climb followed ascents of Mount Massive, La Plata Peak and Huron Peak.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35328
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35356
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35378

So by the time I was looking to do Quandary Peak I was well acclimitized and feeling fit. Because I was going on to tackle a more difficult objective within the week, I wanted an “easy” 14’er. Quandary Peak fitted the bill. Although it is quite high at 14,265ft it benefits from one of the higher trailheads (at 10,850ft) so just leaving 3,450ft of ascent. The route I was planning to take is also the easiest (indeed very easy) – the East Ridge route.

The night before this climb I had also managed to sleep at over 11,200ft, but I also woke up with a niggle in my right calf. Rain had battered down most of the night but I woke up to blue skies and fluffy white clouds. I had intended to start the climb at around 7am (to avoid any afternoon thunderstorms), but I did not arrive at the trailhead until about 7.15am. I had assumed that I would be one of the first to start out but there were probably 40 cars there already!!

There was no room to park at the trailhead proper.

P1000527 - Copy.JPG

It is obviously a popular mountain as an overflow car park is provided about ¼ mile down the road. So I parked there. Quandary Peak is one of the nearer 14’ers to Denver and is not too far off the interstate running west from Denver. It is also close to the cities of Frisco and Breckenridge. So half the population of Colorado (and their dogs) seemed to be on this mountain today! Whereas my earlier TRs had been of climbs in the Sawatch Range, Quandary Peak is in the Ten Mile Range which is further east and a little to the north.

Helpfully the start of the trail is marked. :)

P1000528 - Copy.JPG

The trail is broad and not too steep to start with. Because of the higher start point the tree line was reached much sooner than on the previous mountains I had climbed. This next photo was taken after just 30 minutes and shows Quandary Peak against a rather nice blue sky. Like many of the Colorado giants, you can see that Quandary is not a fearsome looking peak. However, the East Ridge route is the only easy one on the mountain. Routes on the south, west and northern aspects are either scrambles on loose, shattered rock or graded rock climbs.

Quandary does also provide good ski mountaineering terrain and is often a first winter ascent for many.

P1000529 - Copy.JPG

The route up the east ridge used to go up the centre of it. Now, to minimise erosion, a new trail has been constructed that takes you up the rocky flank.

P1000532 - Copy.JPG

The crest of the ridge is met where the ridge narrows about 1,500ft below the summit.

P1000533 - Copy.JPG

Paths of sorts zig zag up through the rocks and scree – straightforward, if occasionally loose. Suddenly you pop up on to a 200 yard long summit ridge.

P1000535 - Copy.JPG

I reached the summit after 2¾ hrs including 30 minutes of stops. By now my leg was giving me a bit of gyp. :(
But the views compensated. Here is one to the south looking at North Star Mountain (the ridge in the foreground) and Mts Bross, Cameron, Lincoln and Democrat (all 14’ers).

P1000536 - Copy.JPG

And then the busy summit area.

P1000537 - Copy.JPG

Now south west towards the Mosquito Range.

P1000538 - Copy.JPG

And then someone in the way of the view to the north west! 8) 8)

P1000540 - Copy.JPG

I was in no particular hurry today. It was only 10.20am when I arrived at the summit. I had to be at Denver airport for the evening, but that would only be a 2 hr drive. I felt able to take everything in. Whilst the air temperature was a bit chilly, the edge was taken off by the solar radiation. With a fleece on it was really rather pleasant. So I spent 1¼ hrs on the top! :shock:

Eventually though I had to drag myself away from the fantastic panoramas. There was some cloud build up to the west which indicated possible thunderstorm activity. Here is a view down the upper part of the mountain.

P1000543 - Copy.JPG

And then a look back up.

P1000545 - Copy.JPG

You can see how there was no longer a clear blue sky. There were still quite a few folk making the ascent and risking a deluge, if not lightning. The descent was less than comfortable for me. Whereas I had charged up on the ascent overtaking many in front of me. Each step down was painful. :( :( So it took me as long to get back to the car as it had taken to reach the summit. I did not know what I had done to my leg! – probably too much exercise over the past 5 days! I was back at my rental car around 2pm.

Nonetheless Quandary Peak is a good introduction to anyone wanting to have a crack at the Colorado 14’ers. Just watch the altitude. There were some people popping pills on the summit complaining of headaches. On my drive back to Denver airport I thought how my week in Colorado had been most enjoyable. :D :D I was now off to Washington State in the far north west of the US, slightly concerned about my leg, for further adventures. But that is for my next TR.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Re: Quandary Peak, Colorado

Postby coachmacca » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 am

Stunning looking terrain , great report - really keen to travel more (although more than enough to do here in sunny Scotland! ) so great to read these type of reports :D :clap:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Quandary Peak, Colorado

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 am

Another beauty CL and another one I think I could have a go at (though I'm not great at altitude :roll: ) Surprising that there are so many folks about on that lump :shock: but even with all those folks about it must have been worth it for those views :clap:

Weren't you tempted to take a lovely 2 day drive via salt lake city then up through Idaho to reach your destination instead of the misery of damn airports :crazy: I hope that leg is fixing up ready for your 'target hill' in Washington.....I'm psyched up for it now :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland