walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal - Charn Mor, an easy corbett from Lynwilg

Geal - Charn Mor, an easy corbett from Lynwilg

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Route description: Geal-charn Mòr , from Lynwilg

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal-charn Mòr

Date walked: 23/08/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 12.14 km

Ascent: 651m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was to be heading off to a club meet at Milehouse at Kincraig and I thought as the forecast was reasonably good I might as well pick up something on the day of travel. Geal-charn Mor seem to fit the bill as a certain tick as I did not want to have a second unproductive weekend in succession after the atrocious weather on Skye the weekend before. I turned off the A9 to the North at the Lynwilg signpost before the Aviemore turn off. There appeared to be plenty of room for parking around the bridge area so I parked up there but five minutes walking up the road there is another parking spot but between the points there are signs for taking it slowly for the young pheasants on the road
1.JPG
Signage identifying the Burma Road to Carrbridge and River Durnain. This is a Scottish Right of Way
2.JPG
Take a left after crossing the bridge and soon your passing over a cattle grid from then on there are lots of youn pheasants running all over the place
3.JPG
Five minutes you come across another parking area where you pass through the wooden gate
4.JPG
Not long after you come to another wooden gate and the track forks right taking you up to the open hillside
5.JPG
A good track makes for quick walking with a gradual gradient all the way to the highest part of the track
6.JPG
Looking back down towards the starting point
7.JPG
The highest point is approx. 700m where there are two cairns on the left hand side, at the first cairn there is a path which takes you all the way to the trig point on the summit, easy walking on short heathery slopes
8.JPG
Looking back down the path towards the track
9.JPG
Summit Trig point and shelter cairn. All very hazy on top unfortunately, but only taken 1hour ten minutes

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
10.JPG
All very easy and simple if you return the way you went, remembering to take a left fork at the timber gate to take you back to the start in total two hours
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Geal - Charn Mor, an easy corbett from Lynwilg

Postby morag1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Another fine walk Rod, didn't believe it was possible to climb a Corbett in such a short time, must keep this one in mind for the future :D
morag1

Re: Geal - Charn Mor, an easy corbett from Lynwilg

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Never noticed this one in amongst all your other reports :)

Good track, short walk, sounds like one to do to break an A9 journey one day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland