walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Tarmachan (without the ridge bit)

Meall nan Tarmachan (without the ridge bit)

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 28/08/2013

Time taken: 2.4 hours

Distance: 8.7 km

Ascent: 752m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for today wasn't that great with a 20% chance of clag free Munros in the Loch Tay area. It looked like later in the day would be best but I don't seem to be able to head for a hill late in the day - I seem to talk myself out of it or go off the idea so as usual I was on the hill fairly early.

On the road over I decided if the weather turned out to be decent I would do the Tarmachan Ridge but as soon as I arrived at the Lawers car park I knew it was just going to be an up and down Munro - shame, I'll need to come back and do this one again.

This place has changed since I was last here..........big improvement.

There is a good narrow track the entire way so even in the clag it's a straight forward walk.

1.jpg
Looking back to the car park

2.jpg
Loch Tay

3.jpg
Lochan na Lairige Dam

Photos taken before entering the clag so visibility is pretty rubbish all the way to the summit.

4.jpg
923m top

7.jpg
Heading for the summit

6.jpg
Steep section before the summit

A bit of a sting in the tail with the last climb to the summit, I found the stone steps section quite hard going and slow. A quick left turn and I was on the top.

5.jpg
Summit

Not the day for hanging about at the summit so 5 minutes and I was off down the hill. The stone steps were tricky on the way down and it was worth taking a bit of care as they were damp and any slip at this point could be painful. After the steps it was a straight forward walk back to the car park with the clag now sitting at about 900 metres so the late starters might just have got a clear summit.

8.jpg
Loch Tay appearing out the gloom

9.jpg
Loch Tay again

11.jpg
Looking over to Ben Lawers

13.jpg
Back at the car park

I was surprised this only took 2hrs 40 minutes but then again the car park is half way up the hill so only 750 odd metres of ascent. Definitely a hill to go back to and I'm going to have a read of some reports now just to see what the views are like.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Meall nan Tarmachan (without the ridge bit)

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Might need to add this one to my ever expanding to do list! Looks like a good path up, it is a shame the clag was covering the summit for you to get some views but still looks like a good day out.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Bod » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Boy o boy! that's still quickly up and down, well done.....ridgey bit next time :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Might need to add this one to my ever expanding to do list! Looks like a good path up, it is a shame the clag was covering the summit for you to get some views but still looks like a good day out.

Hi Sarah86

I've had a look at some other reports - nice views from the summit.

Just pick a better day than me and you'll enjoy it (yes, good track all the way).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Bod wrote:Boy o boy! that's still quickly up and down, well done.....ridgey bit next time :wink: :D :D

Hi Bod

Definitely need to go back and do the ridge as I've read a lot of reports about it but it was pointless today as it was just clagbound.

I don't normally do Munros when I know there is going to be low cloud, I usually pick something a bit lower where I can get views from the summit.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:36 am

Great shame about the low cloud :( looks like big improvements since I last was there right enough, was the hill busy at all? I bet it was.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:17 am

Hi Rod

It was busy compared to a lot of the hills I've been on recently (more than just me!).

I saw about a dozen people during the walk, the car park was fairly busy so assume there were a lot of people on Ben Lawers.

Last time I was up that way the old building and car park were still there - it looks a lot better now. Actually, last time I was there I picked up a puncture on the road up to the car park so had to change a tyre before heading off (I wasn't happy.......... :( :( :( )
Gordie12
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland