walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A bike & hike for An Socach & neighbour

A bike & hike for An Socach & neighbour

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan group, Alltbeithe

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan

Date walked: 27/08/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We cycled in from Loch Affric as far as Alltbeithe Hostel where we left the bike before taking the path behind the hostel. The path takes you to the col between the two Munros. Cloud was low today so no views higher up and there was a constant drizzle from the cloud so conditions were slippy at times. From the col we went to An Socach first then over to Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan for Jimmy and Mo's benefit as i had previously done this from the Shiel Bridge side. I was hoping it would clear for us as last time i got no summit view and this time i saw the exact same view. We then returned to the col and the path back down to the hostel before cycling back out to Loch Affric.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

https://plus.google.com/photos/110051255472035874897/albums/5917524899090310529
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: A bike & hike for An Socach & neighbour

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi JC, I did it the same way, biked into the hostel then climbed the three munros, got a bit of a soaking as far as I can remember, and the midges at the carpark were hell :lol: A fine day out, pity about the clag! :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: A bike & hike for An Socach & neighbour

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:20 pm

You still got some great photos on a pretty dismal day in places, really looks perfectly seasonal though, reminded me of home :D You make a fine signpost mate :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland