walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A braw day up Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

A braw day up Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby Bod » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 26/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1216m

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a rare wee drive along the south side of the loch from St.Fillans observing all the tents and caravans, we parked and were walking by 8.45am. It was an already roasting morning even then and the first couple of hours was really very warm. I personally made myself a target to push on until about 10.45am to gain some height, before having a good stop to relax a little, put on some suncream and have a drink. At this point I was wishing I had remembered a pair of shorts, but "hey-ho", I had to be fine with my long breeks on. After this break, I actually went on to feel very comfortable all day :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Loch Earn at 8.30am
2.JPG
Ben Vorlich directly to the south.
3.JPG
Looking back north again with Loch Earn below and Ben Lawers in the distance nicely wrapped in a band of cloud.
4.JPG
Getting up there!
5.JPG
One man and his dog.....
6.JPG
The summit trig point, cairn and a strange lonely remaining metal pole...
7.JPG
Here we are on top of Ben Vorlich with Stuc a'Chroin appearing behind us. Ritchie's 47th munro awaits.
8.JPG
Descending to the bealach, note Ritchie had founded a great wee watering-hole just down behind where Valerie is standing.
9.JPG
The base of the boulderfield where we headed up the scramble or the prow as some people refer to it. (we chose to leave the path and turn right onto the boulders just after a spot where a large metal fence post stands next to a large boulder. There is also a small cairn indicating this.)
10.JPG
An interesting bend in the steep path.
11.JPG
Valerie standing at the point we chose scramble up. The path did continue round, but I was looking to gain height....fun and exciting stuff!
12.JPG
....onwards and upwards
13.JPG
The route is steep and fairly exposed at points, but there is plenty to hold on to, and in the main I simply carefully walked up. However, Valerie might say something different as she had to use her hands a lot more. Ritchie's only difficult was crossing one or two of the boulders at the base of the prow. I do keep him under close control on the lead and help him from time to time on steep sections like this.
14.JPG
On the first top of Stuc 'a Chroin immediately above the prow, proud of our efforts and ready for a food-stop.
15.JPG
Looking back down...............
16.JPG
Thanks to Gary, Paul and Abby (the dug) for this photo. We all met here and had a good old blether. It turned out that Gary and Paul had a small dilemma as they had walked in from the south and had a long walk back to Loch Lubnaig, especially if they opted to take in Ben Vorlich too? I thought to myself for a moment and offered that if they carried on to Ben Vorlich, they could drop down to Loch Earn and we would all meet up again later at our car. This was a spot on plan, everyone maximised their day out and I dropped our new pals off at their van later on that day.
17.JPG
Valerie on the south west top......
18.JPG
Now at the summit looking from whence we've came....
19.JPG
Me!
20.JPG
The prow rises behind us again now after dropping down the footpath and contouring round the west side of Ben Vorlich. We made effort to keep high and cause minimal extra erosion round this damp section of the route.
21.JPG
"Come along" Ritchie says, "what's keeping ewes....
22.JPG
Ardvorlich House...a grand sight on our decent.....feet starting to cry out for crocs
23.JPG
Paddling in Loch Earn, all three of us for 15 minutes or so........Gary, Paul and Abby soon arrived and we headed round to Loch Lubnaig after some more banter and blether with ourselves and those around. All in all and very fine mountain day.
:D :D :D
Last edited by Bod on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: A braw day up Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby andyfitz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Nice pics. They certainly tell the story of the walk. Did this few days after u and enjoyed these hills v much. How did the dug deal with the scramble up the prow? I wasnt sure with mine so swerved it.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby Bod » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi Andyfitz, just the boulders at the bottom bothered him for a moment or two, then I kept him under close control. Cheers for you comment, Bod
andyfitz wrote:Nice pics. They certainly tell the story of the walk. Did this few days after u and enjoyed these hills v much. How did the dug deal with the scramble up the prow? I wasnt sure with mine so swerved it.
Bod
Walker

Postby morag1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 am

Beautiful scenery, sunshine, friends, good fun

To me thats what all days in the hills should be :D
morag1

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Bod, looks like you all had a great day, and the weather I was promised :lol:
Nice to see what I missed and also pic 12 showing another way up to SaC, "peasoup" and rain made it all a bit uncomfortable for me. I take it you followed the WH route down the scree to get off SaC.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 am

Jammy, jammy, jammy!!!

Totally different from the day me and husband had up there. Saw absolutely nothing and gave up on Stuc!!! Path? What path!!!

Well done! Cracking photos of the views, no wonder you're both smiling! You guys look great :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Nice one Bod and a cracking day for it.Liked how you sent the mrs up the scrambling route first, good thinking :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby skuk007 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Nice report and photos Bod, looks like you took the same route as myself a few weeks back, although you were probably a bit braver on the prow, I stuck to the path whenever I could. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:14 pm

Very nice - those are memorable days indeed.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Redrock » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Yet another "Braw day", Bod! How do you do it? 8) A great report with a good set of pictures telling the whole story. You and Valerie will be fairly glowing with all that sun you've been getting! But Ritchie seems to keep his cool with all those watering holes! :lol: :lol: Great stuff! 8)

These are a great pair of Munros - and quite challenging - despite being well down in the south! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby allansmitchell » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Good report and pics, I keep looking for walks I can saftley take the dog on now, will definatley be doing this one if it gets dry any time soon
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby dgesl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Looks like you all had a great day ! Cant wait to give it a bash myself :D
dgesl
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Think I missed this when it first came out. Great report as ever Bod (and Val!). Just getting ready to head out to the hills now - possibly heading that way! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby foofis44 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Your so lucky!!
I went up yesterday and it was raining, cloudy and hurricane force winds!! :crazy:
Only made it up vorlich hanging on to the pole for my life! :lol:
foofis44
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 pm

foofis44 wrote:Your so lucky!!
I went up yesterday and it was raining, cloudy and hurricane force winds!! :crazy:
Only made it up vorlich hanging on to the pole for my life! :lol:

Yes, we were very lucky and had a great day out. The wild days are fun to remember too though :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland