walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Aosda , Cruin Bhalg agus Carn a Gheoidh

Carn Aosda , Cruin Bhalg agus Carn a Gheoidh

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 30/09/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In the 16th Century a small off shoot of Clann na Cait or Clan Chattan called Clann Mac a' Combie settled in the Gleann Shith ,which to my knowledge has never had any other name, and until the old tongue was expelled , these MacThomais inhabitants were known as Sithichean a ' Ghlinnshith . The people thrived for hundreds of years and their gathering place can still be identified at Clach na Coileach where the young cock was released from the creel by Mac Combie Mor :D

008.JPG
Clach a 'Coileach

I have mostly avoided the hills in Glean Shith for the ski development and always thought they would be a waste of a good day ,necessary , if I wanted to complete this Munro list and preferably done in Winter.

But I m no a man for impulse and decided to do them on Saturday ......................

I was pleasantly surprised :wink:

DSCF7749 (640x480).jpg
Carn Aosda

DSCF7752 (640x480).jpg
Loch Bhrotachain

There is no need for a guide here :D ,however we had no a bad day weather wise and I did notice for the first time since May that wee nip in the wind .... chi mi Ghearraidh !

DSCF7753 (640x480).jpg
Beinn Luthearn Mhor

DSCF7757 (640x480).jpg
Creag Leacach

DSCF7758 (640x480).jpg
An Socach

Am Fhrasaich beag comhla ris gaoith fuar .... the odd shower and cold wind Winter is no far away !

DSCF7759 (640x480).jpg
Air cuil

DSCF7761 (640x480).jpg
Gleann Shith

Not the most taxing of journeys and surprisingly few folk around for i'd imagine this a busy hill usually

DSCF7764 (640x480).jpg
Carn a gheoidh

DSCF7770 (640x480).jpg
Sealltainn

So the moral of the tale is

"An uair a chluinneas tu sgeul gun dreach na creid I."

DSCF7771 (640x480).jpg
Grannda

Cheerie an drasda

Colla
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Carn Aosda , Cruin Bhalg agus Carn a Gheoidh

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Aye winters nearly here, hopefully it's a blue sky and snow one. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Aye winters nearly here, hopefully it's a blue sky and snow one. :D

Aye hopefully but as likely the grey windy wet one :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:04 pm

These three, along with their 6 neighbours on the other side of the Glen get a pretty bad press sadly, but I quite like them :D I know the Cairnwell has suffered, but I really like the view of Carn Aosda from near its summit :D The views from Carn a'Gheoidh aren't to be sniffed at either :D

Interested to see your report Colla, as I was back on these three on Thursday. I used them as my two sons introduction to the Munros :D I think they enjoyed the experience :lol: Might get round to posting some of my photos in the next day or so. Looks like we had similar weather to you too. Cloud initially with some spots of rain, but it broke nicely as the afternoon went on, although my boys would agree there was a slight chill in the air :shock:

Winter's coming..... :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:24 pm

I agree with you and Pete, Collaciotach, it's not such a bad little ramble over these three.

Regarding ski development in Glean Shith, I get the impression that the name 'Glenshee Ski Centre' has been used because it sounds commercial. The centre, being on the Cairnwell Pass, is actually at the heads of Glen Clunie and Gleann Beag, according to the O.S. map. The A93 doesn't actually enter Glean Shith (Glen Shee) until it reaches the Spittal, quite a distance to the south. Upper Glean Shith (Glen Shee) is shown as being on the other side of Ben Gulabin from the road.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Yup - would agree with you - don't believe everything you hear as there's no such thing as a dull hill, especially on days like this - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:52 pm

rockhopper wrote:Yup - would agree with you - don't believe everything you hear as there's no such thing as a dull hill, especially on days like this - cheers :)

Absolutely agree too :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:21 am

For anyone else not looking forward to these hills, I would recommend a slightly longer route starting at Baddoch and going up the very pleasant north ridge of Carn Aosda. From Carn a' Gheoidh, you can descend north and pick up the track along the Baddoch Burn. Unfortunately this does nothing to improve the summit of the Cairnwell, though!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:08 pm

simon-b wrote:I agree with you and Pete, Collaciotach, it's not such a bad little ramble over these three.

Regarding ski development in Glean Shith, I get the impression that the name 'Glenshee Ski Centre' has been used because it sounds commercial. The centre, being on the Cairnwell Pass, is actually at the heads of Glen Clunie and Gleann Beag, according to the O.S. map. The A93 doesn't actually enter Glean Shith (Glen Shee) until it reaches the Spittal, quite a distance to the south. Upper Glean Shith (Glen Shee) is shown as being on the other side of Ben Gulabin from the road.

I noticed that also :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:09 pm

jmarkb wrote:For anyone else not looking forward to these hills, I would recommend a slightly longer route starting at Baddoch and going up the very pleasant north ridge of Carn Aosda. From Carn a' Gheoidh, you can descend north and pick up the track along the Baddoch Burn. Unfortunately this does nothing to improve the summit of the Cairnwell, though!

I thought about this route however had my good lady with me so it was straight up :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland