walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach Ya Beauty!!!!

Aonach Eagach Ya Beauty!!!!

Postby GillC » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:19 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 28/08/2013

Time taken: 8.4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1100m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are few words I can say to explain the experience on the Aonach Eagach. I've been aiming at this for a while and a band of WH members, for some reason, known only to the Gods of insanity, took me up on my suggestion. But, we did, I did it, and can't believe it. (Margaret is swanning around in Paris after telling me in no uncertain terms that she wasn't doing this)

I arrived at the Red Squirrel campsite on Tuesday afternoon,,
DSCN4040.JPG
Smashing wee camp site

plenty of time to set up my wee camp and wandered off down towards the Clachaig. Just before the pub, theres a gate in to the right, signposted to Signal Rock. There are 3 way marked paths around this forested area. Good paths that wind their way around, up and down. I chose the yellow, then black and on to blue,,this wound round and up to Signal Rock, shrouded in trees but on clambering up over the last boggy section, you get a cracking view of the Clachaig Gully above. (I spent some time later in the week, in the shadow of the gully, reading W H Murrays account of the first ascent of CG in the 1930's) This feat, deserved a pint at the pub before heading back to camp. I passed a large stag, hiding in the undergrowth, just off the road. (it was so still that initially I thought it was a joke,,some geezer hiding in the bracken with a stags head on a stick lol ) Eventually it started moving around, phew!
DSCN4061.JPG
Where's the stag night then?

DSCN4070.JPG
Smashing colours up to the Clachaig Gully

I was joined later by John and Harry and hey,,had another drink or two in the pub,,be rude not to. Walking back along the road to the campsite in the dark is scary enough with 3 of us,,it put me off a solo venture later in the week.

Up bright and early after a cold night and not a lot of sleep, the 3 campers headed off to the meet up point under Am Bodach, where our fellow madmen were waiting. 7 checked in,, 1 no show, we did get a txt a bit later but decided by 9:10am to head off,,if only to escape the ever increasing midgies.

The initial ascent up Am Bodach is fairly steep and the views came and went down the valley towards Loch Achtriochtan. This trip is totally weather dependent and so far,,this date,,which was agreed some months ago,, was proving to be fine. We had a fair amount of moving cloud,,but no rain (apart from some misty moisture about half way up when we hit the clouds) and little wind at all. We needed dry rocks for this please.

Our band of 7, me, Martin, John, Harry, Martin, Peter & Jimmy had varying degrees of experience,,but we had a vote and decided Peter was the most experienced in this kind of scrambling and for a while he was MOUNTAIN LEADER :lol:

The path splits with a less steep option to the right which takes you round and up Am Bodach from the East, we opted to take the left hand path and gain height as quickly as possible.
DSCN4088.JPG
Which path now?

After 2 hrs, we reached the top of Am Bodach, this isn't a Munro but the descent from here to the ridge is the first tricky section. We headed on down and stopped to have a discussion about how we all felt about proceeding,,if you're going to turn back,,now's the time to do it! Varying levels of confidence in moving forward, I was certainly aware of my own limitations but also felt buoyed by the support of a good team so I was happy to give it a go. After a few minutes we all banded together and carried on with our descent on a very awkward cliff. But with lots of pointing, guiding etc, we all made it down, (5 points of contact being utilised for most of this lol )

Fairly straightforward sections from here, narrow, rocky etc,,the views came and went as the clouds swirled around and below us. The views of the various confluences of the River Coe, far below us in the Glen was fascinating, sweeping flows in the grass and sand that just can't be seen at ground level.

Pretty soon we reached the top of the first of todays 2 Munros, Meall Dearg. Number 37 for me wooohooo
DSCN4110.JPG
Meall Dearg,,first Munro of the day, and apparently a deep conversation about Harrys banana?

So far, we were 3 hrs in , Cameron McNeish' Munro's book says the whole walk should take 3-5 hrs,,,was he on a unicycle?????? No way we were going to do that and even if 2 people were nipping across on their tippy toes,,I'm pretty sure that would still be a very optimistic time. A short break here for some lunch and a few snaps.

The views of the ridge to come were fantastic, the North side often completely shrouded in cloud making for some very atmospheric pictures. Martin (MG1976) was very gallant and always insisted on letting me go in front, thank you for your chivalry Martin :wink:
DSCN4099.JPG
High above the Glen

DSCN4097.JPG
and down we go again

DSCN4096.JPG
atmospheric views of the ridge ahead

One or two of the rocky areas, chimneys etc force you to step out to exposed areas of rock, good tip,,,just don't look down. Much easier to focus on your hand holds and keeping your feet steady, if I realised there was a whole lot of nothing below,,,,I kept my eye on the rock immediately in front of me. I had 1 split second of doubt on the Caaaarrraaaaaaazzzeeeeeeeeeeee Pinnacles,,, but it was gone in a flash,,hey, you don't have a choice,,got to bite the bullet and just go! (these should really be called the WTF???? Pinnacles :shock: ) Up here,,you KNOW you're alive!!!

Can't go into every nook and cranny we negotiated but this was breathtaking, heartstopping and bloody mad! Other reports make it sound like a breeze, while others, more technical. By real rockclimbing standards, I know this isn't a biggy, but it was my most technical traverse to date. Short bursts of clambering for hand holds, somewhere to put any available body part, just to keep in contact with terra firma. Loved it.

some pics.....
DSCN4113.JPG
Fab chimney scramble

DSCN4125.JPG
Peter giving me a wave

DSCN4131.jpg
Lookin chuffed,,,don't think I'd hit the Crazy Pinnacles yet lol

After crossing Stob Coire Leith, and for a moment, thinking we were on the last Munro, we were past the trickiest bits, but hey,,none of us had been up here before so we kept telling ourselves there was worse to come,,,meant anything else didn't seem as bad in comparison lol.
DSCN4130.JPG
Impressive rocky ridge

The path continues from Coire Leith,,fairly broad and well worn. Did I mention the fence posts? Since Am Bodach (right at the bottom of the rocky part, at an angle,) the iron fenceposts started and continued along the ridge,,no wires anymore but lots of posts, how territorial can a landowner be???? :lol: Peter also found a tent peg on a narrow grassy ledge,,which was flattened, (the grass,,not the tent peg) had someone actually camped here? heck,,hope they weren't a restless sleeper :shock:

We reached the top of the second Munro, Sgorr nam Fiannaidh around 3 hrs after Meall Dearg,,so now 6 hrs in,,,Cameron,,what ARE you talking about?. Cracking stone shelter built here and we all had a sit around the trig point, reliving some precious moments from the previous few hours. Even the old saltire got an airing here. (Apologies to Jimmy,,the only Englishman in the group)
DSCN4143.JPG
Getting misty around the second Munro, Sgorr nam Fiannaidh, # 38 for me

We had decided early on to descend by the path round to the North, towards the Pap. The is very rocky,,described as scree but too big to make fast progress. Im already a bit wary on my ankles after the Nevis fall last year,,but we enjoyed a good wander down,,with lovely expansive views down to Loch Leven, the Pap and over Ballachulish, cloud level having lifted pretty well by this point.
DSCN4152.JPG
Selfy of a VERY chuffed me,,Ballachulish and Loch Leven in the background. FAB!!!!!

I couldn't believe it, after more than 8hrs of up,down, through, round and over...humour, concentration, sheer grit lol we were there, I had completed the Aonach Eagach ridge,,with some great help, support and company.

I would like to add,, the whole time I was in Glencoe, the mountain rescue, police, dog teams, helicopters etc worked incredibly hard to find a missing walker, unfortunately, his body was found at the end of the week on Stob na Doire on the Buachaille. But, hats off to this wonderful team of people, out in all weathers. So, dont make their job harder and be careful out there. :wink:

Thanks to all, John, Harry, Martin, Martin, Peter & Jimmy for a smashing day. My pictures don't do this any justice, so here are links to Martin and Johns reports, they say it all.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35733
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35691
Last edited by GillC on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:33 am, edited 14 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Aonach Eagach Ya Beauty!!!!

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:45 pm

I take it you have eventually taken the shades off your head :lol: :lol: You didn't really need them very much, unless you didn't want to see what was ahead :wink:
Thanks for the suggesting the day out Gill, still having nightmares 2 days later :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby GillC » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:20 pm

HaHa, Ive been known to climb hills in the peeing rain with a pair of sunnies on my head, I wear them to stop the wrinkles spreading lol but needed full vision on Wednesday :shock so they just stayed up on ma heid!

Still cant believe I got over that,, :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Tomsie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Its good isn't it, but whats up, down, through, ROUND?? There is no round only up and over haha. You had shades off, I went home and checked the news after last week lol.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby GillC » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Oh we defo had some rounds,, or maybe more along the side and up,,,does that count? How the heck folk take dogs and small children along there,,god only knows!
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Tomsie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Never seen a dog but a couple of kids passed us :(
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Bob the Dog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm

Tomsie wrote:Never seen a dog but a couple of kids passed us :(

Still, if that wee lassie hadn't skipped down off Am Bodach, my mum would still have been up there!!!
PA070182.jpg
Nae wee lassie noo, she and her brother were half way along the ridge!!!

And Tomsie - remember the lady with the jeans and silk scarf - and HANDBAG!!!

Well done GillC - you'll never forget your day...stays with you for ever :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Well done Gill XXX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby GillC » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Finally padded this out and put on some of my own (fuzzy) pics,,,its only cos my hands were shaking :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby MG1976 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi Gill, nice to see your report fully finished now with your own pictures.
I think between the three reports (John's, my own and yours) we've given a pretty good account of our day.
Anyone looking to do the AE, wouldn't go far wrong on reading our tales of Woe (or is that Woh!)

Great day. that'll take some beating.

Can't wait to go back in a few years and see my Chase taking it on; just too risky (IMO) at 6 years old.
Plenty of others for him to cut his teeth on before this one.

M
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby GillC » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Cheers Martin,,I wasn't going to write a report as such,,since you guys had it covered,,but my reading public demanded it :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:41 am

Well done for getting the Aonach Eagach under your belt...love your pop up tent (they are the best!)

Code: Select all
And Tomsie - remember the lady with the jeans and silk scarf - and HANDBAG!!!

??? Handbag up the hills? Am I missing something? :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Munchie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:59 am

So glad you completed your blog Gill. So proud of you ........ well done doll. And well written ... as always. :clap: :clap:

p.s. YOU DID IT !!!!!
Munchie
Mountaineer

Postby GillC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:45 am

Mountainlove wrote:Well done for getting the Aonach Eagach under your belt...love your pop up tent (they are the best!)

Great things,,,up in 30 seconds,,ok,,a few mins to put down again lol not exactly back packing friendly but great as a standby in the car. Ta much,,

And Munchie....cheers for all your support, x
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby aicadle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Great report. Looking forward to getting up there in a few weeks time with a couple of friends!
aicadle
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland