walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Yorkshires finest

Yorkshires finest

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough, Simon Fell

Date walked: 23/08/2013

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 485m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Because we were due a weekend in Lakeland this free family Friday was spent in the Dales climbing Yorkshires most iconic mountain, Ingleborough.
The weather wasn't quite as promised with a very heavy haze being predominate all day but at least it kept us fairly cool. This route up Ingleborough probably isn't the best way up the mountain but it met our needs for the day and still had plenty interest. A fine helping of the classic Dales landscape features were on display in the form of caves and Limestone pavement all with the unmistakable shape of Yorkshires finest drawing us onwards.

Raven Scar from the road by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

On the way up the hill by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A tempting objective by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Raven Scar by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Whernside by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Following an easy ascent we eventually came to what had looked like, from further back, a vertical rock face. It’s certainly steep but a set of stone steps zigzag their way up and in no time you’re wandering up to the summit plateau.

The steep way up the hill by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Simon Fell from the way up Ingleborough by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Wide open spaces by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It was a shame that the haze was so thick restricting views considerably but at least we got a hint of just what a great panorama you’d get on a clear day. Following lunch and a wander around the summit we set off towards Simon Fell.
This is a pleasant stroll without the numbers present on Ingleborough. The path along the edge looked very tempting but as it doesn't take you to the top we followed the wall up to the decidedly understated summit of Simon Fell. We didn't linger long and made our way, admiring the peace and quiet, down a decidedly lose and unpleasant path before the going soon eased towards Great Douk Cave.

Ingleborough from the walk to Simon Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A couple of locals by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A last look at Ingleborough by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A nice day out was finished off by a visit to the Wensleydale creamery to sample and purchase a great deal of Cheese. :D I think we’ll have to return to Ingleborough another time on a clear day and perhaps from Clapham or Ingleton; certainly a fell that’s worth a return visit.

TR_130823-111431.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Yorkshires finest

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm

What a lovely little piece of home JK, everytime I see the dales the memories come flooding back, even with a bit of clag it really brings me home, great pics and lovely B&W's :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:20 pm

One of the best English hills outside the Lake District, J.K. Don't feel you've been too unlucky regarding the haze; it often seems to be like that in the Yorkshire 3 Peaks area, even when the sun's shining.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby colgregg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Ingleborough is a good walk whichever direction you do it. It took me three goes to get decent weather on the top. Don't know about you but I put Simon fell in the "it's on the list so it has to be done" section of Hewitts. Having said that there is a good viewpoint for Ribblesdale on Lords Seat to the East.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

ChrisW wrote:What a lovely little piece of home JK, everytime I see the dales the memories come flooding back, even with a bit of clag it really brings me home, great pics and lovely B&W's :clap:

Always good to show you what your missing :wink:

simon-b wrote:One of the best English hills outside the Lake District, J.K. Don't feel you've been too unlucky regarding the haze; it often seems to be like that in the Yorkshire 3 Peaks area, even when the sun's shining.

I believe you totally Simon but strangely I pick Ingleborough out looking very clear on so many walks in the Lakes, very odd :?

colgregg wrote:Ingleborough is a good walk whichever direction you do it. It took me three goes to get decent weather on the top. Don't know about you but I put Simon fell in the "it's on the list so it has to be done" section of Hewitts. Having said that there is a good viewpoint for Ribblesdale on Lords Seat to the East.

Simon Fell was a case of "as we're up here we might as well" to be honest. That said it was easy going (apart from a few hundred yards in descent) and very peaceful. I did notice Lords Seat but given the restricted views I wasn't tempted by the diversion, perhaps next time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 pm

You might not have had the views but still a great walk and photos to match :thumbup:
This brings back memories of more than 25 years ago when we stayed in Ingleton :D
The girls were about 8 and 10 and I remember Julia got chased by one of "the locals" :lol:
We left a car in Clapham (Mum and Dad were with us) and went back to Ingleton.
Well worth another go :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:You might not have had the views but still a great walk and photos to match :thumbup:
This brings back memories of more than 25 years ago when we stayed in Ingleton :D
The girls were about 8 and 10 and I remember Julia got chased by one of "the locals" :lol:
We left a car in Clapham (Mum and Dad were with us) and went back to Ingleton.
Well worth another go :D

Thanks Susie, It certainly is a fine fell, I'm looking forwards to exploring more of it some time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Ah, thats lovely. Been a while since I've been in that area, too long....
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby mrssanta » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:55 pm

It's a cracking hill whichever direction you go in. I have happy memories of the walk down into Horton through the limestone pavements.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:24 pm

mrssanta wrote:It's a cracking hill whichever direction you go in. I have happy memories of the walk down into Horton through the limestone pavements.
clivegrif wrote:Ah, thats lovely. Been a while since I've been in that area, too long....

Thanks Clive and MrsS :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Anthony thanks for the report a great hill and the weather didn't look to bad, I was up here in Apri land traversed Simon Fell on the way back...It was a bog fest!

I am still here, just so busy with work and now a Grandson into the bargain...I don't look that old do I?

On second thoughts you had best not answer that question ha ha

Cheers Pal

Geoff
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:42 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Anthony thanks for the report a great hill and the weather didn't look to bad, I was up here in Apri land traversed Simon Fell on the way back...It was a bog fest!

I am still here, just so busy with work and now a Grandson into the bargain...I don't look that old do I?

On second thoughts you had best not answer that question ha ha

Cheers Pal

Geoff

Congratulations Geoff :clap: are you planning the first hill yet :lol: :wink:
As for Simon Fell it was remarkably dry when we did it, most surprising.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland