walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cobbler

Cobbler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 05/09/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 4.75 km

Ascent: 724m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather forecast clearly indicating that a walk in the mid west was on it seemed rude not to oblige. Up at 3am for the 4.5 hour drive down. Lots of bunnies lining the side of the A90 and lots of pigeons on the A85.
There followed an unusually pleasant drive along Loch Lomondside. Not much traffic early on a September morning.
Got to the start of my walk just after 8.30am, after a false start heading off up the side of the wrong burn. There are a couple of parking spots in the vicinity of the starting point of the path in from the west. A long time since I was last here so I got slightly muddled.
Not to worry, I was soon sauntering along the gently inclining path that follows the burn west east. Note, the north side of the burn is a hell of a lot easier walk than the south side! That much I did remember clearly from one previous visit...
I had a bit of a schedule to work to because I needed to get back Aberdeen for a game of football at 5.15pm. I had it all worked out though.
Funny how the legs don't always completely agree with schedules dreamed up by the head. I had decided to cut off south east earlier than planned (original plan being to follow the natural grassy concavity that leads up between the two tops) and the steepness provoked some complaining from feet and lungs. Frequent short stops did the trick though and got me to the south top at 11.30am. En route I criss crossed the north west ridge, choosing to contour rather than a direct approach, just to spread the effort a bit. Possibly need a new pair of boots though as I found the damp grass slidy as hell so the contouring didn't entirely work. Hence, I did cut directly up to the north west ridge around the half way point. Although quite short, this is a magnificent lead up to the south peak. At the south peak the sun was out and I scrambled up.
I made a slow descent to the bealach, taking time to admire and photograph the views. At the bealach the weather had turned, or rather a passing drizzle cloud had obscured the views. No matter, I headed up to the north top with some confidence that the cloud would clear. I was up there for only fifteen minutes when various summits started peaking through the gloom. Then with a gust of wind a view opened to the south peak. It was really spellbinding. However, a couple of other guys who had also waited fifteen minutes for the cloud to clear just immediately set off downwards once the clearance came. This I could not understand but each to his own. For me, the incentive to linger at the top was really strong with a fine natural display to be had of cloud and mist swirling about the peaks.
Once the cloud had cleared off completely it was time for me to do the same. I headed down my planned ascent route. Pretty fast and easy going on grassy hillside. On both ascent and descent I was also able to take advantage of lengthy spurs projecting into the glen at the burn side. I reckon the descent took just over an hour. Got back to the car at 1.27pm and made it to Goals in Aberdeen for 4.55pm.

DSCN1099v2.jpg
south top
DSCN1101v2.jpg
north top from south top
DSCN1103v2.jpg
south east ridge
DSCN1104v2.jpg
south east ridge close up
DSCN1110v2.jpg
zoom to road, Loch Long and Arrochar
DSCN1118v2.jpg
north peak
DSCN1119v2.jpg
north peak crag and path up from east below
DSCN1121v2.jpg
clearing from the west
DSCN1123v2.jpg
looking back to the south peak as the cloud clears
DSCN1124v2.jpg
more of the same
DSCN1128v2.jpg
and more...
DSCN1134v2.jpg
Ben Lomond and Arrochar
DSCN1136v2.jpg
Loch Long and the 706m top on the south east ridge
DSCN1138v2.jpg
peacock

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Cobbler

Postby GillC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Interesting route up there,,,and some very atmospheric pics too,,well done. Love this wee hill, :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Sarah86 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:59 pm

My only corbett so far, cracking hill. I really like your shots of the lingering cloud.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:32 am

GillC wrote:Interesting route up there,,,and some very atmospheric pics too,,well done. Love this wee hill, :clap:

Don't think the route saved me any time (as was my hope) but still nice to approach the north top from its west ridge. The mist and cloud was a bonus as I really like that sort of thing -well, as long as it is the kind that breaks and clears!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 am

Sarah86 wrote:My only corbett so far, cracking hill. I really like your shots of the lingering cloud.

Turned out well. My heart sank a bit along with the cloud when it arrived but the weather forecast of improving conditions motivated me to hang about at the north top. Didn't have to wait too long. So enthralling to see crags and peaks emerge and recede in the mist. The only disappointment was when it had finally all gone.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:48 am

Nice route that, we did a similar route in Winter which was great fun :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland