walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Benaquhallie - another wee one with a wide view

Benaquhallie - another wee one with a wide view

Postby Ian Johnston » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Benaquhallie

Date walked: 04/09/2013

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 180m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Benaquhallie is just 10 minutes drive from home - in fact I can see the hill from the end of the road but for some reason haven't previously climbed it - which turns out to have been a mistake......

I've tried before to walk over all the high ground from Tillyfourie on the A944 over the Corennie Moor and Benaquhallie to Craigievar castle, but was pretty much defeated by dense forest and thigh deep heather on the slopes of Corennie Moor.

This time I tried from the south west of the hill. A small disused quarry on the B9119 at NJ592073 is accessible through a gate to park, but take care as it's on quite a quick bend. Opposite, a track gives access to grazing and the open moor above - turn sharp left immediately past the gate to get onto a rarely used access track all the way to the summit - which takes about 45 minutes of pleasant walking.

The views are worth it.........

To the south of the summit, a large and unusually shaped cairn has a fine view across Deeside to Clachnaben

To the north east beyond the Corennie Moor, Bennachie stands out as from so many places in Aberdeenshire. So prominent are the two hills that an old rhyme states that "Clochnaben and Bennachie are twa landmarks frae the sea"

I lingered about on the top for a good while just enjoying the view. The descent is a reverse of the uphill route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Why on earth haven't I climbed this super little hill before?! One to do again, perhaps as an evening walk.

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Re: Benaquhallie - another wee one with a wide view

Postby mcbboyd » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks for this report. Walked up the same way today as I had a couple of hours to spare and needed to get out for some fresh air. Would normally head to Bennachie in such circumstances, but felt like a bit of a change today and this was close enough to drive to instead.

Followed your route. A pretty dreich day, and only caught a few glimpses of the view. Pretty misty at the top and couldn't see the cairn from the trig point, but wandered around for a while and it came into view soon enough. It looked pretty eerie as it materialised out of the cloud.

Will certainly return on a clearer day.
mcbboyd
Wanderer

Munros:55   Corbetts:13
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:28

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Fine wee hill. pity about that forest i managed to get through but it is a disgrace as it could be a fine stroll taking in all the tops from correnie with a little work.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Did this recently by a slightly different route. Windy but as you say a nice wee wander. :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Nice to see this one again. I did this one from Upper Dagie. Lots of good wee hills in Aberdeenshire.
foggieclimber

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland