walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dramatic weather on the Fairfield Horseshoe

Dramatic weather on the Fairfield Horseshoe

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag, Heron Pike, High Pike (Eastern Fells), Low Pike, Nab Scar

Hewitts included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag

Date walked: 31/08/2013

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1030m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following wandering around in the mist on Friday on day one of our bagging weekend, a far better forecast for the Saturday saw us keep with our plans and drive to Rydal to have a crack at the Fairfield Horseshoe. It was an early start so we could grab one of the limited places available at this charming little settlement, turn up after ten and I suspect you’d be looking elsewhere.
There is no chance of easing into things from here, as first the road and then the path climbs steeply to the first target of the day, Nab Scar. The forecast may have been a lot better but we still had one of the promised showers on this initial ascent, fortunately it was light and actually quite cooling.
The pull but to this minor top is probably the most physically arduous section of the walk but as you’d expect for such a popular walk the path is superbly made.

Spotlight by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking over Loughrigg by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

First top of the day by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Sunshine on the Greenburn Round by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

On Heron Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The first two tops might be regarded as separate fells in the pictorial guides but it’s hard to think who would climb them without continuing around the horseshoe.
The next fell, Great Rigg is also seldom climbed for it's own sake but it is a fine looking object as you approach it. Following another shower the sun came out on Great Rigg and we were treated to a wonderful show of light and shade over huge swathes of the district.

Stone Arthur catches some sun by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Great Rigg and Fairfield from Heron Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Bright sunshine on the Horseshoe by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Dramatic sky on the way to Great Rigg by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Approaching the summit of Great Rigg by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on Great Rigg by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

View South from Great Rigg by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking back towards Windermere by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Lake District Weather by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Follow link for full size version http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkaysleftleg/9694602592/lightbox/

From here it’s a steady pull up to the high point of the walk, Fairfield. It was unsurprisingly really quite windy on the top as another shower blew through. We fortunately managed to grab a shelter for lunch before exploring this extensive stony summit.

Helvellyn from Fairfield by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

St Sunday Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Deepdale from Fairfeild by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Nicola on Fairfield. by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We took in the wonderful views to the north of Helvellyn and St Sunday Crag before continuing towards Hart Crag. This section is very rocky and probably the highlight of the whole walk. The sunshine wasn’t to last however and by the time we reached Dove Crag the wind and rain had arrived in force, we crouched behind the wall to don our water proofs before continuing.

Sun and shade on the Fairfield Horseshoe by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Descending from Fairfield by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Hart Crag Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The wall along this stretch of ridge is a superb construction and for this we were truly thankful as it sheltered us from the wind and rain quite effectively. By the time we approached High Pike the sun returned to give us spectacular sights of showers over Windermere illuminated by the bright sunshine.

Grace and Hughie on High Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Scandale with weather over Windermere by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Low Pike from the descent of High Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A Bit of Drama over the Coniston Fells by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

By the time we reached the final top of our day, Low Pike, the last of the showers were moving away so we stopped for a slice of cake and ten minutes rest.

High Pike from Low Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

High Pike Mono by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The walk back from here was truly delightful and a taste of the Lakes that none fell walkers love as we made our way through the beautiful grounds of Rydal Mount back to the car.

Dramatic Sky by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The Horseshoe from the path to Rydal by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Waterfall at Rydal Mount by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

There may well be more dramatic walks than this in the Lakes, with more excitement and technical difficulty but for quality of views it must be hard to beat. On a day like this it's a true feast for the senses that I'm sure will be one of the true highlights of our round. Remaining fells in double figures now :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Dramatic weather on the Fairfield Horseshoe

Postby clivegrif » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 am

Hello there!

That looks a great day out, and your pictures are superb as ever. I think I've seen this listed as one of the classic walks in the Lakes, and I can see why. I've only ever done Fairfield from Helvellyn, and remember it being a 'proper' mountain.

Excellent report!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am

This is one of my all-time favourite walks! Done it once the same direction as you and, twice in the opposite direction which I prefer :D
A great day's walking and some really beautiful photos :thumbup:
Thank you for posting; brings back lots of memories, particularly the August when my Dad and I walked this for the first time and we had snow on the summit of Fairfield and it was 20degs in Ambleside and sunny :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Your'e getting too many holidays! :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby MarkyMark10 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Some good bagging done there! St Sunday Crag looks inviting in that pic :-)
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:58 pm

clivegrif wrote:Hello there!

That looks a great day out, and your pictures are superb as ever. I think I've seen this listed as one of the classic walks in the Lakes, and I can see why. I've only ever done Fairfield from Helvellyn, and remember it being a 'proper' mountain.

Excellent report!

Thanks Clive, it deserves the title classic imho. I certainly fancy the ridge from St Sunday crag at some time in the future.

SusieThePensioner wrote:This is one of my all-time favourite walks! Done it once the same direction as you and, twice in the opposite direction which I prefer :D
A great day's walking and some really beautiful photos :thumbup:

Thanks Susie, we normally like so go up the steep bits first but I can see if you walk from Ambleside counter clockwise would be best.

SusieThePensioner wrote:Thank you for posting; brings back lots of memories, particularly the August when my Dad and I walked this for the first time and we had snow on the summit of Fairfield and it was 20degs in Ambleside and sunny :lol: :lol:

Now that's what I call proper Lake district weather :lol:

L-Hiking wrote:Your'e getting too many holidays! :lol:

No such thing! :wink:

RTC wrote:Smashing report and photos. I still have fond memories of doing this walk with my wife in April 1983. Who knows where the time goes? Better still was doing it in February 1988 from the East over St Sunday Crag and down via Hartsop above How. We had no kids then. Yesterday my son went off to St Andrews university. Cherish the moments with your daughter.

Thanks RTC, you're not wrong about time flying, Grace started seniors this year, hardly seems like yesterday when we took her to nursery for the first time. One of the main things of our walking is spending days like this together as a family.

MarkyMark10 wrote:Some good bagging done there! St Sunday Crag looks inviting in that pic :-)

Doesn't it just Mark, one to return to without a doubt.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby footix2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 pm

The weather most always be erratic up there. The last time I did it, it was blue sky all round, 20 degrees, and gales :D
footix2
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:61   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm

footix2 wrote:The weather most always be erratic up there. The last time I did it, it was blue sky all round, 20 degrees, and gales :D

Just makes it more fun!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:37 pm

St Sunday's Crag is definitely worth an outing. Quite steep, but a lovely hill.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Ibex » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Absolutely incredible photo's. I'm led in bed ill, stuck in this God awful flat County waiting to go back to my awful bit part job in a factory.
I wish I could get up to Cumbria, get a job I enjoyed up there and never leave.

The fairfield horseshoe is on my to do list, as a go over a lot of the hills I did when I was a lot yonger.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:20 am

Ibex wrote:Absolutely incredible photo's. I'm led in bed ill, stuck in this God awful flat County waiting to go back to my awful bit part job in a factory.
I wish I could get up to Cumbria, get a job I enjoyed up there and never leave.

The fairfield horseshoe is on my to do list, as a go over a lot of the hills I did when I was a lot yonger.

Thanks for the kind words. Get well soon mate, glad my pics are providing a bit of therapy. The Fairfield horseshoe is a cracking walk and obviously great for bagging purposes. We had another beautiful day just the other week if your interested;

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36509
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland