walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nam Ban

Beinn nam Ban

Postby rob munbett » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn nam Ban

Date walked: 07/09/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was staying at the Sail Mhor hostel for a few days but saturday morning brought rain and cloud so low that little Loch Broom was lost. However, I thought I'd head up into the mists to bag this wee one across the loch. I parked near the highest point of the road to Badrallach and looking at the map and terrain I thought it would be best, given the conditions, to approach the hill from the north to avoid the layers of crags to use the two consecutive lochans north of the summit as guides. I headed through the gate at the bend and contoured under some crags to reach a stream which I followed to a narrowing gully between the rocky outcrops.
P1010858.JPG
Heading up the steep tussocky slopes into the mist
This worked well and I soon reached the first of the lochans. There was still no visibility at this time but I took this picture later on the descent.
P1010878.JPG
Looking towards the summit from the northern lochan
It was a short walk over to the second lochan which was a great help in finding the summit, lying as it does just beneath the cairn. Just then a wonderful and surprising thing happened: the sun broke through and the summit was revealed. How fortunate was that?
lochan and summit.JPG
The lochan and the summit cairn
There was plenty of shelter from the wind amongst the crags around the cairn and I sat to enjoy the views. Unfortunately, An Teallach was still shrouded but the views over Ullapool and Loch Broom were excellent.
Ullapool and Loch Broom pan.JPG
Looking down on Ullapool and Loch Broom
I must say that I enjoyed my descent in the clear sunshine more than my ascent and returned to my car in good time.
P1010889.JPG
Where I parked the car beneath the hill
Later that evening I went out for a short stroll from the hostel to view my hill of the day across the loch.
P1010893.JPG
Beinn nam Ban across Little Loch Broom
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland