walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eskdale - Lakeland's most magnificent horseshoe

Eskdale - Lakeland's most magnificent horseshoe

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Crinkle Crags, Esk Pike, Great End, Scafell, Scafell Pike, Slight Side

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Broad Crag, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Crinkle Crags South Top, Esk Pike, Great End, Ill Crag, Scafell, Scafell Pike, Shelter Crags

Date walked: 27/08/2013

Time taken: 10.5

Distance: 23.4 km

Ascent: 1870m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Eskd_H_gpx.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ravenglass is a beautiful little place to stay for a walker wanting easy access to Eskdale and Wasdale (this photo is from an earlier visit):

P8110104.JPG

After breakfast in the village, I drove into Eskdale and parked near Wha House. I just needed Slight Side to complete a second round of Wainwrights, and I climbed it via theTerrace Route. That was a round of 214 finished in 11 months. I'd completed the first round with a group of friends to celebrate. It probably wouldn't have been fair to try and drag them all along again so soon for a second time. So I went on to do a lap of honour solo around the Eskdale Horseshoe, and it was good to be able to go at my own pace.

I climbed into the clouds and onto Scafell. The weather was cooler than on the two previous days, but the rain held off. Clouds came and went, so views did too. Next it was time for Scafell Pike, and I chose to go via Foxes Tarn, feeling that Lord's Rake and its loose rocks might not be so enjoyable in descent. England's high point wasn't as busy as it would have been over the bank holiday, and the view had cleared.

Broad Crag and Ill Crag were the last two tops I needed to complete a full round of Lakeland Hewitts within 11 months, so those summits were duly climbed. Next I moved on to visit the twin summit cairns of Great End, and made a detour to the edge of the cliffs, for the view down the gullies.

After descending to Esk Hause, I climbed onto Esk Pike, then moved onto Bowfell. Then it was down to Three Tarns and up to Shelter Crags. Next I arrived on Crinkle Crags' summit, and made the decision that I was going to take on the bad step en route to the South Top. I'd tackled this obstacle before in ascent, but never going down. It was quite an experience, albeit a very short one, and I was well exhilarated when I 'touched down' successfully!

So then it was onto the day's final summit, Crinkle Crags South Top, followed by a descent via Adam-a-Cove and Lingcove Beck, and then the walk out alongside the River Esk. This really is a superb horseshoe, combining both the magnificent Scafell and Bowfell ranges; a mountain walk right up there with the very best in Britain.

Photos from the day:
https://picasaweb.google.com/112721569181990874801/EskdaleHorseshoe

Back at the car, I'd made it down in time to drive over Hardknott and Wrynose Passes during daylight. Then it was the journey home, after four great days of Lakeland fellwalking.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Eskdale - Lakeland's most magnificent horseshoe

Postby stevesey » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:30 pm

I've been looking at pretty much that route - but in reverse and including Hard Knott - but actually it makes more sense you way you did it (after all it's all down hill after Scafell Pike ;-) ). Useful to have someone else's timing etc.

Might have ago when I'm in the Lakes at the end of the month (but staying north of Keswick and will be leading others so may not get the chance - unless I can tag it on the start). Otherwise it will be a weekend camping next year - to do this and Pillar Rock.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby colgregg » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:39 pm

One of the best rounds you can do. Coincidentally I did Scafell on the 27th having set off from Boot via Burnmoor Tarn and back via Slight side. While The Pike was crowded I spent an hour and a half alone on Scafell with only one other person visiting the cairn. The mist (as you will know) cleared by the time I got to the summit.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:30 pm

wow - congratulations Simon, great effort :clap: :clap: I agree with you title and what a wonderful way to wrap up a second round....in 11 months :shock: fantastic effort :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Stevesy. This round would have merits either way round. A good way to link Hard Knott and the Crinkles would be via Yew Bank (on HK's north ridge) and the neck of land between Mosedale and Lingcove Beck; maybe you've worked that out already. If the weather's clear, you get one of the best views of the Scafell range there is from HK's north ridge, in front of you if you go anticlockwise. I missed Lord's Rake this time; I reckon with all the loose rocks in there these days, that would be more enjoyable uphill, if you choose to include it. Certainly, I'd recommend the route I did in either direction, but malky_c's alternative might also be worth considering; Hard Knott should be easy enough to add:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9383

Col, you're right about it being one of the best rounds. We both picked a good day to be on the Scafells.

Thank you, Chris. It is nice to make no. 214 a hill somewhere near the Scafells, so you can celebrate on England's highest.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Congratulations Simon on your second round of 214

That's a great route and one for me to consider
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby simon-b » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:08 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Congratulations Simon on your second round of 214

That's a great route and one for me to consider

Cheers, LH. I'd highly recommended the route, but perhaps one for next spring-summer, with the days getting shorter now.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland