walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chaorainn, Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry C

Beinn a'Chaorainn, Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry C

Postby gman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 7.4 hours

Distance: 34 km

Ascent: 1860m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

derryc actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Plan was to cycle from Linn of Dee to Derry Lodge & walk round from there. £2 for parking, cycle to the lodge took almost 25 mins but just over 15 on the way back. I went on the path initially then joined the landrover track, but looks like it would be possible to cycle further up the road and get straight on the track which might be quicker.

Lodge is closed up, down the hill to a green bothy with mountain rescue landrovers parked outside, one of the MR guys said most folk leave bikes locked behind the bothy. Headed up the path on the east of the stream, back to bothy:

Good path leads to the cut off for Beinn Bhreac:

Then a steeper climb on a faint path through heather.

And boggy bits.

The actual summit isn't obvious, I checked the GPS and noticed I was walking past it so detoured.

South from the cairn, Beinn a'Ghlo:

More boggy ground to Beinn a'Chaorainn. I didn't check the pronunciation of these hills before leaving so when I bumped into people later I either pointed or said 'the 2 on the other side of Glen Derry'. And Mheadhoin - how are you supposed to guess that?

Hopping across peat hags made a'Chaorainn seem further than expected, next there's quite a drop & climb up to Mheadhoin:

Summit tors:

Steep descent, there's loose scree or grass/heathery bits.

Looking back to the descent from a'Chaorainn:

And steep heather/rocky bits on the way up Mheadhoin, I crossed the burn at some slabs about halfway up.

Camera break for a view down Glen Derry.

Crossed some boulders, rock has good grip here, then the summit appeared:

Summit tor:

a'Chaorainn looking small from this side:

Macdui & Shelter Stone Crag:

Easy way up the tor, round the back. Again the rock has really good grip even when wet.

Good paths pretty much all the way back from here, Derry Cairngorm on the left:

Shelter stone crag from another tor:

Descent from Mheadhoin, busy spot down there as paths meet from Derry Cairngorm, Macdui, Glen Derry & Mheadhoin - good spot for a piper.

And here he is:

Back to the descent from Mheadhoin:

The path leads round to Macdui, couldn't see a cairn marking the point to head for Derry Cairngorm so just veered left. Soon joined a good path.

Bit bouldery towards the top.

Light rain showers now & turning colder, a'Chaorainn on the right & Mheadhoin on the left:

Beinn a'Ghlo:

Good path leads down:

Carn Crom is the last top, path bypasses the summit to the left.

And soon back down to the Lodge, after hopping between boulders and scrambling up tors I turned an ankle on a man made step on the path :lol: Soon walked it off after a few nervous steps.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn a'Chaorainn, Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Some grand photos , nice Autumn feel to them :clap:

Whats the craic with the flag in the piper pics ? :?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby gman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Some grand photos , nice Autumn feel to them :clap:

Whats the craic with the flag in the piper pics ? :?

I was wondering about that as I got closer, it was flapping about in the wind but looked like it said Braemar at the top with a rose in the centre.
gman

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Ah Jacobite flag then ,thought it was :D either a re enactment society or a historical rememberance act I guess
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Well done, getting these four in one outing, gman.

Interesting point you made about the pronunciation. I believe Beinn Bhreac and Beinn Mheadhoin have namesakes which now also have anglicised forms, Ben Vrackie and Ben Vane. Perhaps Collaciotach could confirm or correct that?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby inca » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:45 pm

Nice pics and a good time for rattling round these four. Happened to be doing Beinn Bhreac and Beinn a' Chaorainn on the same day. Hoofed it in and out from the car park. Like you, almost turned an ankle on one of the paths higher up the glens. Has to be said not up to usual Mar estate standards - I wonder if there's a complaints procedure for such things? :wink:

Leg weary on the way back, confess I did consider mugging any one of several cheery bikers who sped past on their way to Linn of Dee. Absent a bike, trainers for a fair bit of this walk would be useful. Didn't see the piper you mentioned but did see the the MR Land Rovers. Staff seemed too upbeat for it to be anything other than an exercise.

Good day to pick for these hills all in all.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Well done gman, impressive effort and nice pictures too. Interesting mentions of Jacobite flags :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby gman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 am

inca wrote:Absent a bike, trainers for a fair bit of this walk would be useful.

Bike and trainers is the way to go :D Looks like the snow's coming back though so need to get the cobwebs off the boots. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Glencoe/webcams/latest

Bod wrote:Interesting mentions of Jacobite flags :D

Seen a few Jacobite memorials on the rounds - Glenfinnan, Shiel Bridge etc - but this could be the first time I've spotted yer actual Jacobites in the wild.
gman

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland