walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's not Vietnam, it's not Birmingnam, it's Bidean nam Bian

It's not Vietnam, it's not Birmingnam, it's Bidean nam Bian

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:23 am

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I parked at the "tourist" car park and was the first car there and was hoping to get away before the tourists arrived. No such luck as a bus load arrived as i was getting my boots on. Over they came in their droves with cameras in hand but not one good morning from any of them as i looked up as they passed. My opinion of tourists has not changed. Now to the walk. I took the path up to Coire nan Lochan which climbs steeply with one section of smooth slab to negotiate. Not long after here a marker cairn is reached, where you have a choice of routes to Stob Coire nan Lochan. I carried on to reach the small Lochans as i did when i did this walk in May a few years ago, turning right then to head over to Pinnacle Buttress. On that occasion i only got to Bidean nam Bian due to snow lying in awkward spots. This time i continued to the left of the lochans and headed for Stob Coire nan Lochans north east ridge and onwards to the summit. I then dropped down and and climbe up to Bidean nam Bian and from there the easy ridge walk and climb to Stob Coire Sgreamhach. I had lunch here before i headed back to Bealach Dearg and the route back down through the Lost Valley. Here i met four walkers on their way up from the Lost Valley, whom i had a wee chat with discussing the route down the scree. For me it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. Further down i met another two walkers, had a wee chat, then another two, another wee chat and then i carried on down. When i came down this way the last time i carried on straight past the big boulder but this time i noticed the path to the right of it and took this, a far better way than my previous route. Soon i was back at the car park, which was full now with tourists so quickly changed i made my escape. A brilliant walk on a nice calm day bumping into some nice friendy walkers. I do have to say i had a nice chat with a Canadian asking about the Lost Valley as he was taking a wee walk up to it and just wanted to know how long it would take.
https://plus.google.com/photos/110051255472035874897/albums/5923787420019180545
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: It's not Vietnam, it's not Birmingnam, it's Bidean nam B

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Towerist's eh Glencoe is kinda local for me and every time I m passing through its heaving with folks half of them in the middle of the road taking pics :D

A cracking hil Bidean nam Beinn :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Towerist's eh Glencoe is kinda local for me and every time I m passing through its heaving with folks half of them in the middle of the road taking pics :D

A cracking hil Bidean nam Beinn :wink:
Aye, stopping where ever they fancy :? It sure is up there with the best of them. Cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Bidean was looking cracking as we drove by on our way to Fhada. You picked a great day for it.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Bod » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Great pics Johnny, and a cracking two munros with SCNL being one of my favourite tops :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:59 pm

One of my favourite walks - great views esp down to Loch Creran and Loch Etive - you certainly seem to have got a good day for it. I see you found the path on the way back - like your first time, I couldn't find it and ended up scrambling over the boulders :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland