walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Dodds et al

The Dodds et al

Postby MiniRambo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Hart Side, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson's Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 8.05

Distance: 25.2 km

Ascent: 1345m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Dodds et al.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I did this walk with John on his recommendation of the route.

Parked at Wanthwaite, about a mile south of Threlkeld. Arrived just after 8am, booted and walking by 8.15am. A beautiful morning with clear skies and mist lifting from the valley bottoms.

P1030170_640x480.JPG
At the start

Made our way along the Old Coach Road, climbing eastwards along the northern slopes of Clough Head. Met another walker called Jerome who had been dropped off by his wife and was to walk the full ridge over Helvellyn and Fairfield and to be picked up at Grasmere - cracking route!! We, on the other hand, were to do the Dodds and Hart Side, take in the head of Glencoyne back over Sticks Pass drop down to Stanah and then the 2.5 miles back along the B5322 to the car.

We walked along the Old Coach Road to a stile through the fence that would lead up a path on the broad north eastern ridge of the hill, passed White Pike and then on to the summit. Great views all around - to the east the Mell Fells and the Eden Valley, to the north Blencathra and Skiddaw, westwards to Keswick and the western fells and southwards through intermittent rising mist, Great Dodd.

P1030172_640x480.JPG
On the Old Coach Road, view to Blencathra

P1030174_640x480.JPG
The path up Clough Head, White Pike on the left

P1030180_640x480.JPG
John and Jerome at Clough Head summit

I had a quick drink and snickers then we dropped down a good path southwards towards a little 'pimple' called Calfhow Pike before a long drag to the summit of the highest peak of our walk, Great Dodd. It has a summit cairn with great all round views and then a separate shelter cairn a hundred meters or so south. I took on some more liquid and then we set off towards Waston Dodd.

P1030183_640x480.JPG
Great Dodd from Calfhow Pike

P1030184_640x480.JPG
Thirlmere and Raven Crag

P1030185_640x480.JPG
On route to Great Dodd, looking back to Cafhow Pike and Clough Head

P1030190_640x480.JPG
From Great Dodd shelter cairn looking to Helvellyn etc

Watson Dodd is a minor high point on the ridge, we didn't stay long before our next climb up to Stybarrow Dodd. Began to meet a good number of other walkers at this point. At the summit, we bid fairwell to Jerome who would drop down to Sticks Pass and then onwards over Raise etc. Instead we continued eastwards, losing height to White Stones, a nice little hill that in my opnion is a more worthy peak than Watson Dodd. On route, we noticed a couple of army helicopters presumably doing some practice manoevers near the ski slopes of Raise.

P1030192_640x480.JPG
Watson Dodd cairn

P1030195_640x480.JPG
On Stybarrow Dodd towards Hart Side and Birkett Fell

P1030200_640x480.JPG
Helicopter on manoevers

P1030202_640x480.JPG
Catsycam and Helvellyn

P1030203_640x480.JPG
Looking back to Stybarrow Dodd

From White Stones it was a simple walk over to our last Wainwright of the day, Hart Side. We had some lunch and watched a number of other walkers in the distance going over White Stones.

P1030204_640x480.JPG
At Hart Side summit cairn

We then continued eastwards to Birkett Fell before descending its slopes behind a stone wall until we met a path that had come over from Dowthwaitehead. This path lead us into Glencoyne. It was a fantastic route along the hillside with a gradual incline. Great views down to Ullswater and beyond.

P1030210_640x480.JPG
Glencoyne and Ullswater

P1030211_640x480.JPG
John on the path around Glencoyne

P1030212_640x480.JPG
Ullswater

It eventually brought us to a point west of Sheffield Pike but rather than dropping us to the main Sticks Pass path, it maitained its height and eventually joined the main path at a suitable point. Sticks Pass was attained on a well maintained path (steep towards the end). We then dropped down a gradual and good path, steepening through bracken before reaching Stanah. Feet were sore by this point and it was a case of getting our heads down for the walk back along the road to the car. Thanks to John for letting me have some of his water and a welcome coffee when we reached the finish.

P1030213_640x480.JPG
Up towards Sticks Pass, Raise on the Left

P1030217_640x480.JPG
From Sticks Pass, westwards to Great Gable etc

P1030218_640x480.JPG
Sheepfold above Stanah

P1030219_640x480.JPG
Dropping down to Stanah

A great walk on a good day with good company!!
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Dodds et al

Postby Alan White » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks for this.
I'm heading upto Patterdale tomorrow night and was considering doing most of this route as a circular from High Row above Dockray. Your excellent pics confirm what I expected the terrain to be like
I've heard the path from Birkett Fell down to Dowthwaite Head can be awkward (if it exists) and Wainwright recommends carrying on over Brown Hills and Common Fell to Dockray.
This would extend the walk a bit and mean an uphill from Dockray to High Row at the end of the day.
Can anybody enlighten me about the state of the path from Birkett Fell to Dowthwaite Head?
Alan White
Hill Bagger

Munros:137   Corbetts:23
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+6
Sub 2000:118   Hewitts:228
Wainwrights:214   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland