walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Only a dog walk!

Only a dog walk!

Postby tweedledog » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Date walked: 13/09/2013

Time taken: 3.6 hours

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 710m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's Friday 13th, mid-afternoon, and the sun has come out. "Shall we go for a walk?" says I. "Woof" says the dog. "Let's walk up Beinn Lurachan" says I. "Woof woof" says the dog. I rather think that means no, but since the last time we went up Beinn Lurachan in early summer we were assailed with wind and rain I'd rather like to check the views on a better day. I'm even going to take the serious camera, cumbersome though it is. Beinn Lurachan, by the way, is a Graham top at the north end of Beinn Eunaich's NE ridge, and the route is about as simple as they come.

Track_2013-09-13 190008.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So off we set up the Glen Strae track, across the Allt Dhoirrean bridge and then immediately up the rough path on the east side of the allt. The Glen Strae cattle herd have been up here recently so the path - at best pretty wet - has been churned up by hooves and The Whippet rapidly acquires muddy paws. The path, such as it is, peters out as we start to climb the shoulder proper, and the 'walk' rapidly becomes a depressing plod, If there are any Graham-tops-of-Munros completists out there let me warn you that Beinn Lurachan is unremitting and, more to the point, is liberally endowed with false summits.
DSC_0022.JPG
Those crags are false summits when you are on the shoulder, including the one that looks like the top - there's a couple more after that.

After the third false summit, and dark clouds gathering, the little devil on my left shoulder, the one reclining in an armchair with a glass of wine and a good book, says "come on, it's only a dog walk - let's go home". But the angel on my right shoulder has other ideas. She is decked out in full Patagonia weather gear, armed with twin poles, and probably has crampons and an ice axe in her bag just in case. "Onward and upward," she says: "because it's there". Succumbing to this Mallorian invocation we continue, The Whippet, as ever, choosing inappropriate routes. Another word of advice to you completists: take the crags head on. Though they may not look it, they are easily negotiated, and if you try to ease round them - as we did earlier in the year - you find yourself on a much steeper slope. As we surmount each of them the view behind us opens up.
DSC_0017.JPG
The Whippet, Glen Strae and Loch Awe from one of the false summits

And to the west lies the rest of the NE ridge of Beinn Eunaich, the one from which we were driven by the heat earlier in the summer.
DSC_0015.JPG
Meall Copogach, the 880m unnamed summit, and Beinn Eunaich

By the time we crest the last and real summit the clouds are coming in and the wind is getting up. There's a short ridge at the top with cairns at either end and according to the OS map the summit proper is at the north end. However, having been here before I know that there is virtually no height difference between the two, and by now the devil with the glass of wine and the book is winning the argument. So, after a quick picture from the cairn at the south end, we dismiss the possibility of dropping down to Lairig Dhoirrean (which lies between us and Meall Copogach) as an alternative route home and head off back the way we came. The Whippet, as ever, is pleased to be retracing his pawsteps. He's feeling the cold in what is now a strong, westerly wind.
DSC_0012.JPG
The south cairn

After a knee-stressing and whippet-pouncing descent it's a pleasure to find ourselves back in Glen Strae with no wind and patchy sunshine. We meet someone out for a stroll up the glen. "Lovely evening" she says. "Woof" says the dog.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Re: Only a dog walk!

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:16 pm

I like that, very entertaining and dog inclusive. Doubt I'll ever go up this hill though, but I do like the area.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby tweedledog » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Can't say that I blame you. I wouldn't recommend it. Much more fun to climb to Lairig Dhoirrean then Meall Copogach and along the ridge to Beinn Eunaich. But a bit long for a dog walk starting late afternoon in September...
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Lovely scenery and reading back I see your dog is also a whippet :-) Lovely to see another out on the hills.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby tweedledog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:03 pm

And a yours is a very similar colour and look to my whippet. Maybe we should start a club for highland whippet walkers :)
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm

My two enjoyed this one and its neighbour and don't know why they can't have a dog walk like this every day! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mrssanta » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:09 pm

that was most enjoyable! more, please
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland